Can I Search Out Mails That May Be Scams?

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
MailGlow

Can I Search Out Mails That May Be Scams?

Post by MailGlow »

I was wondering if there was a way to search the emails and find all of them that Thunderbird thinks might be SCAM (not SPAM), and perhaps I can LABEL them, and/or even a set up a message rule for any such emails. Thanks.
tanstaafl

Re: Can I Search Out Mails That May Be Scams?

Post by tanstaafl »

The scam detection feature has way too many false positives, which is why most people disable it. I don't remember it adding a header that a message filter could check. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Phishing_protection

Why do you want to handle them differently from spam? There is a lot of overlap.
MailGlow

Post by MailGlow »

tanstaafl wrote:The scam detection feature has way too many false positives, which is why most people disable it. I don't remember it adding a header that a message filter could check. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Phishing_protection

Why do you want to handle them differently from spam? There is a lot of overlap.
Thanks. I do not recall any messages showing up with the alert until recently, which was due to two different website links inside messages from Facebook, i.e. one subject (Facebook Post) being from my Daughter. When she removed the (so-called?) offending Website reference, the emails on the follow ups on comments did not have the scam message from Thunderbird. You may know, that Facebook changes LINKS outside of their web domain(s) and prefixes the text with "https://l.facebook.com?...", which Facebook redirects the link to link to go to the originally referenced site referenced in the Posts. I did a search through hundreds of messages, and only the messages regarding two posts with two different website links send up an "This Message many be scam" by Thunderbird, plus a warning dialog if I mouse-click on the website Thunderbird has a problem with...
MailGlow

Post by MailGlow »

If the Scam Feature is disabled, will the mail (unaffected by filtering) go to the Junk/Spam Box?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Only if the junk mail controls are enabled to detect spam, they think its spam and they are configured to move spam to that folder. There is different logic for scam and spam detection even though a message might be detected as being both.
MailGlow

Post by MailGlow »

tanstaafl wrote:Only if the junk mail controls are enabled to detect spam, they think its spam and they are configured to move spam to that folder. There is different logic for scam and spam detection even though a message might be detected as being both.
Thank you very much for your input.