Firefox slow loading pages on one machine

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
squares

Firefox slow loading pages on one machine

Post by squares »

I stopped using Firefox a couple of years ago, because it took so long to load web pages. Switched to Palemoon which was significantly faster. Now, because Palemoon updates are incompatible with Roboform, I decided to take another look at Firefox. I compared Palemoon, Firefox (current version), and Chrome on my laptop. Happy to find that Firefox was pretty close to the other two in speed. Thought maybe I would go back to using Firefox.

Now, I am finding, on my desktop computer, that Firefox is still very slow. 60-100% slower than Palemoon, loading pages. Some pages never finish loading. (btw i determine speed by loading the same pages on each browser. Counting the seconds between click and tab indicating page is loaded) . I manually sync the desktop and laptop computers, so they are using the same addons, and profiles. Antivirus is different on both computers, but I don't see why that would matter. It is the same antivirus being used by Palemoon and Firefox on the desktop.

I have tried changing some pipeline settings in about:config, as suggested by a few web posts. Don't see a difference.

Any ideas why Firefox would be noticeably slower than Palemoon on one computer, when it isn't on another?
Brummelchen

Re: Firefox slow loading pages on one machine

Post by Brummelchen »

please provide some information please, it may an outdated graphics driver or hwa (hardware accelleration)
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

test firefox in safe-mode please:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Also, what security software is running on that problem system?
squares

Post by squares »

the desktop has geforce 7300le graphics card. driver dated 1/30/2015. I don't think that there is an update for it. win10 complained about it when I tried to upgrade from win7. eventually i did a clean install of win10

there doesn't seem to be a setting for graphics acceleration on the card. I turned disabled webgl in firefox. didn't help.
started ff in safe mode. tried loading a couple of pages. page A loaded in palemoon 5 sec. IE in 9 sec. I stopped ff after 70 seconds. page b loaded in palemoon in 7 sec. IE in 13 sec. ff was still going after 60sec.

if the problem is really the graphics card, then I guess there is nothing to do about it. though IE and palemoon don't seem to have the same problem with graphics card.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
therube

Post by therube »

As a test, create a new, clean Profile & see if the slow loading persists in there.

Certain files (particular's escape me) in your Profile, can "grow", adversely affecting browsing.
So while you may "sync", that does not mean that the Profiles are the same & will necessarily "perform" the same.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
squares

Post by squares »

DanRaisch wrote:Also, what security software is running on that problem system?
bitdefender.

would it be treating ff differently than palemoon?
squares

Post by squares »

therube wrote:As a test, create a new, clean Profile & see if the slow loading persists in there.

Certain files (particular's escape me) in your Profile, can "grow", adversely affecting browsing.
So while you may "sync", that does not mean that the Profiles are the same & will necessarily "perform" the same.
using goodsync for syncing. both profiles should be the same. I can see if any files have been excluded from sync. but not before monday.

or better., I can just create a new profile to see if it makes a difference. It is true that some files grow, and I wish I knew which ones are doing that and can be safely deleted (presuming ff will recreate it). having a smaller profile would be nice for syncing and backup. starting with a new profile, redoing settings, moving bookmarks, addons, etc. is time consuming.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

uninstall the culprit bitdefender under windows 10. sorry, but that is causing all your trouble, BD is flagged as not compatible , in fact all AV have issues with the current "creators update".
squares

Post by squares »

Brummelchen wrote:uninstall the culprit bitdefender under windows 10. sorry, but that is causing all your trouble, BD is flagged as not compatible , in fact all AV have issues with the current "creators update".
BD is flagged as not compatible by whom?

I don't think that i have the "creators update". as far as i know it is only now being rolled out to auto update.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

if you dont work with pro or higher you have no choice about creators update - it is coming.
bitdefender - not my problem if you believe support - i read the right forums and those are full with complaints about BD and other AV not running proper on Win10, in fact the exist some VSS issue with some security or paragon software. but thats another story.

running win10 as pro/ltsb makes no difference to palemoon. most security software is fixed on firefox but not palemoon - palemoon is off mainstream, who cares?
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@squares - current theory is some security programs acts as an agent between the systems protections and where or what you are loading and causing a weakening of the system integrity. Data going back and forth between system, agent and data is not always transferred properly and allows for some compromises which would not exist were the security agent or program not be there. This is old news but seems to have an active dialogue at present. Not necessarily here.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
therube

Post by therube »

(I run no A/V. I do have malwarebytes, but rarely have it running. From time to time, I'll fire up MBAM, scan something, then I'll typically "let it be" - for a while. Anyhow, that time to time happened to be yesterday. And this morning, I'm noticing all kinds of oddities, all kinds of delays in actions, with my browser & actions outside of it too. And then it was like ... duh. Quit MBAM, & things are back to normal. I hadn't noticed such negative interaction before with MBAM, but it was apparent today. Maybe the latest defs or something like that. [I'm still on the older, 2.3.173 version.])
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

squares wrote:BD is flagged as not compatible by whom?
I don't think that i have the "creators update". as far as i know it is only now being rolled out to auto update.
My English is pretty bad so let me quote Kaspersky CEO:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/11/1 ... antitrust/
In a lengthy blog post this week, the antivirus biz's founder Eugene Kaspersky argued that Microsoft deliberately used Windows 10 to screw over third-party app makers. Specifically, he said Redmond cut the amount of time given for compatibility testing with the new OS from two months to six days.
Anatoly Golomolzin, deputy FAS head, said that the short period of time given to software makers, and the fact that Microsoft has its own security suite, gave Redmond "unjustified advantages," and as such his agency would be probing the matter.
In other words, Microsoft keeps making fundamental changes to the code till the very last moment before the release of every major Windows 10 update including Creators update. That means all AV software that is deeply integrated into the system and depends on the changes to the Windows code base is broken every time Microsoft updates its operating system. And the worst part is AV vendors have no time to react to those changes. Microsoft is enjoying their monopoly :-"
Last edited by GHM113 on April 9th, 2017, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for my poor English.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

In other words, Microsoft keeps making fundamental changes to the code till the very last moments before the release of every major Windows 10 update including Creators update.
This is a double-edged sword. It also means they can get fixes to vulnerabilities out to the field much quicker.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers