Intermittent access to 3 sites

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
TRAINSGWR

Intermittent access to 3 sites

Post by TRAINSGWR »

I use Firefox 52 with Windows 7 and access many websites.

I have 3 sites that are giving me intermittent access problems and they are all on the same server at the cera.net data centre in Columbus Ohio. Other ISPs in other parts of the world are accessing the sites without problems.

One of my local friends also on the same ISP, uses W10 & has no problems accessing the 3 sites and my ISP has checked and no problems with them.

Model Rail Command http://modelrailcommand.com/
Your Model Railway http://yourmodelrailway.net/
Platform1 Model Railway Community http://www.platform1mrc.com/

I can access any of the 3 sites but as soon as I do so, any then attempt to go to another page or one of the other sites, it can't be found - the system times out.
I have to wait for some time or reboot my PC to access a page on any of the 3 sites and then I am unable to access other pages, etc again .
So to prove to me it is not my PC ( but it maybe), I can then access any other site including the host UltraBB site.

I have cleared cache and done a System Restore to no avail. So I am at a loss to what to do next.
The problem also is evident with IE & Chrome browsers.
Any ideas please?
Do these site names/ URL sit somewhere else in my PC that I am not aware of except under Bookmarks / Favourites.
Ron
dfoulkes

Re: Intermittent access to 3 sites

Post by dfoulkes »

The problem also is evident with IE & Chrome browsers.
That pretty much states that this is not a Firefox problem... but either a modem problem (did you try resetting it?)... you know... turn off your PC, unplug your modem, plug it it... let it settle down and that start your comp. and test.

...or a PC issue.

Also, have you rebooted your PC into safe-mode with Network active... then tried those sites? ... if they work in that mode then I'd be thinking (1st) about Firewall/AV Software... mainly AV stuff. ... but remember, you don't have AV running while testing in this mode.

BTW... I could not travel around in that first site... needs logging into... but ran all around the other two... very neat setups... reminds me when I worked on the Alaska RR in 1964-65.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

Thanks yes, I did reboot the modem & the PC after talking with my ISP but not sure what you mean about safe mode,

I have forwarded the problem to AV software Avast and waiting on their response - it may have been updated two days ago & that maybe the time the problems started

I even did a anti-Malware check earlier but will do another one now

The first site - yes a locked site one needs to join to visit but the others are open to the world to view
Ron
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

it can't be found
Does this mean you actually get a "Server not found" error on your screen, or does it just time out?

If you're getting a "Server not found" error, it might be an intermittent problem with your DNS (the system that looks up the IP number for any given URL). You can try to set your operating system to use a different DNS (like OpenDNS for instance) to see if that fixes the problem. There are many instructional pages available on how to do this, here's the page for OpenDNS: https://support.opendns.com/hc/en-us/ar ... -Windows-7

Here's a list of public DNS servers you can use:
https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-publi ... rs-2626062
Last edited by makaiguy on April 10th, 2017, 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi TRAINSGWR,
Seeing as it affects more than Firefox, I'm moving this to the Tech. forum.

Like df mentioned, with that 1st site, you need to be registered & "I/we" will probably not be doing so.
The other 2 sites work fine.

&, for ref; mozilla/Firefox Safe Mode. (NB: Not Window's, F8, Safe Mode.)
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_Mode
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Try clearing Windows DNS cache, instructions here: https://documentation.cpanel.net/displa ... +DNS+Cache
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Reflective wrote:Try clearing Windows DNS cache
I thought about that too, but then thought his problem is just the opposite of a DNS cache problem. He can connect the first time, but not on subsequent attempts when the IP should be cached for immediate use. Can't hurt anything to try it, though.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

Cleared the cache & flushed DNS, and still times out after I have visited one of the site & pages. One answer I have been given...

The fact that you can get there intermittently means that there is no problem with your DNS or IP blocking. The fact that everyone else can access the sites without problems means that there is nothing, or very little, wrong with the server configuration.

It all points to a packet-loss/congestion issue somewhere in the server route between you and the server. How you find it and get it fixed I haven't the faintest idea. They will fix it themselves in due course, but that could take days/weeks.

As I mentioned I had a similar problem from the UK a few years ago. The only fix I could find was a. to use a VPN service on a USA server (paid subscription), or b. to use a different ISP -- either by changing my domestic provider, or by using my smartphone/tablet (expensive data charges). If your smartphone is like mine, you can use its tethering function to set up a wi-fi hotspot on it, which you can then access via your laptop/desktop computer.
Ron
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

I may have missed it ... but I did not see anywhere in these postings where you tried your PC in safe-mode...

How To Start Windows 7 in Safe Mode [Easy, 5 Minutes]
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

Twice I tried the safe mode and both times missed out but as it only these 3 sites that are giving me some problems, I can live with it.
Ron
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

That was a PC safe mode and not a Firefox safe mode....correct?...just making sure.
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

Yes PC safe mode - not quick enough.
The problem is not browser related.
Ron
TRAINSGWR

Post by TRAINSGWR »

basically fixed by using Opera browser with inbuilt VPN and all is good for those sites
Last edited by TRAINSGWR on April 11th, 2017, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

TRAINSGWR wrote:basically fixed by using Opera browser with inbuilt VPN and all id g ood for those sites
Very strange... but at least you have something that works.