Future of Aurora Channel

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
custom.firefox.lady

Future of Aurora Channel

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

Just came across Bug 1353825 about migrating aurora users to beta. Anyone know what will happen to prefs (like signing) that worked on aurora, but not beta? And also upcoming pref for legacy extensions: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57
Mouse5

Re: Future of Aurora Channel

Post by Mouse5 »

afaik an i think i posted this awhile ago, ( months prolly ) thast Mozilla may get rid of the Aurora channel an just have UX/Nightly/Beta something along the lines of what Google have
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Chrome has kinda similar builds as Firefox,
so Canary/Dev/Beta on Chrome, equals Nightly/Aurora(Developer Edition)/Beta on Firefox.

If pref signing was working on Aurora, but not on Beta,
and Aurora users will be transferred to Beta channel, pref signing won't be working anymore for these users.
They will need to swap channel to Nightly to get it working again, if they want of course.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Ezh

Post by Ezh »

Hm. So Aurora 54 becomes Beta 54 and the nightly will continue as 56? And then there will be a FF55 release missing?
Ezh

Post by Ezh »

OK. Found this:

On April 17th, Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly.
This means Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly for two full cycles.
On June 13th, Firefox 55 will migrate directly from Nightly to Beta.
patclash

Post by patclash »

Ezh wrote:Hm. So Aurora 54 becomes Beta 54 and the nightly will continue as 56? And then there will be a FF55 release missing?
No Nightly (mozilla central) will stay as 55 :
https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar
;)
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

So does that mean no more daily updates? If so that's really sad to hear coming from a 6+ yr Aurora user. Slower fixes will likely mean less stability...
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

IMO i reckon they ( mozilla ) could release 54 a week or 2 after 53 as there aint much in 54 anyway. that way Mozilla could possible put 55 in Beta an 56 would carry-on as nightly
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:So does that mean no more daily updates? If so that's really sad to hear coming from a 6+ yr Aurora user. Slower fixes will likely mean less stability...
If you want daily updates, come join us on Nightly! ;)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:So does that mean no more daily updates? If so that's really sad to hear coming from a 6+ yr Aurora user. Slower fixes will likely mean less stability...
just go to nightly Channel ( start with a fresh Profile though ) . Aurora will go directly to Beta . , there will no longer be a Aurora Channel

but if you want to stay on stable, stay on Beta Channel
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Are You A Wiiizard?

Arch5 wrote:
just go to nightly Channel ( start with a fresh Profile though ) . Aurora will go directly to Beta . , there will no longer be a Aurora Channel

but if you want to stay on stable, stay on Beta Channel
Nightly was just too unstable, I've tried to use it but there were just constantly browser breaking bugs which is why Aurora was perfect... The new beta will be less stable than old Aurora due to delayed fixes... I think I'll give Nightly another try. What's the easiest way to start "fresh" but keep form data/passwords/bookmarks?
psaulm119

Post by psaulm119 »

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:I think I'll give Nightly another try. What's the easiest way to start "fresh" but keep form data/passwords/bookmarks?
I've been on it for the last week or 2, and it has been fairly stable on my system. At any rate, when I want a new profile, but want the old data that you've asked for, I create the new profile, then copy over 3 files from the old profile:

key3.db
logins.json
places.sqlite

The first 2 take care of passwords, the last one your history and bookmarks.

Not sure about form data, if that is a biggie for you.
Paul
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

how could the Beta be less stable than Aurora? i dont get that
Are You A Wiiizard?

Arch5 wrote:how could the Beta be less stable than Aurora? i dont get that
It will be the new Aurora basically except it will be patched at beta paces meaning if bugs make it's way in from a patch, it can't just be patched the next day or 2.