Firefox uses most battery

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Ezh

Firefox uses most battery

Post by Ezh »

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-v ... ors-update

Are there already some Mozilla statement to this? Any work is done to be better in this area?
GHM113

Re: Firefox uses most battery

Post by GHM113 »

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Performance/Project_Candle
Project Candle aims to reduce the power consumption of Firefox (on desktop and mobile) and Firefox OS, in order to increase battery life for users on mobile devices. Some reductions in power consumption will also help improve performance, such as those that reduce CPU usage.
Project Candle is currently on hiatus. It may return in the future.
:-"
Sorry for my poor English.
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
James

Post by James »

I know of somebody who is with a Canadian company that does Youtube tech videos who attempted to reproduce this so called claim by Microsoft with Edge and Windows 10. He had three identical specs and loaded laptops like in video and the first few attempts got very different results. He then made Win10 much more bare bones on each to simplify things and due to how Win10 can be in having something random taking up cpu usage it still gave very different results with the web browsers on each attempt. So he gave up and never bothered to have team edit video and upload it.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Ezh wrote:https://www.onmsft.com/news/microsoft-v ... ors-update

Are there already some Mozilla statement to this? Any work is done to be better in this area?
Arif (author of article) is a recent graduate of CUNY's Baruch College. Currently living in Queens, New York, he has been a loyal Microsoft, ... fan since the late 1990's.
Shouldn't believe everything you read on face value. Always look for the motivation of the author.

Unless an objective source can reproduce the results they are worthless.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

I know in my country making unproven and unreproducible claims has cost many companies millions of dollars. Using fanboys to spriuk products gets old very quickly
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

There's been a number of remarks on battery usage and one which struck me funny was the brightness having a direct effect on the battery usage. This seems to me to be a phone level comment and not relative to notebooks, laptops or desktops though it's been applied to all three hardware systems.
On this hardware setup there are two 64bit OS using the same type base OS with pretty much the same software on exactly the same drives, etc.
At any given time I can run a system profiler which provides any detail you could imagine plus benchmarks for various software test loads.
One thing I can note is regardless of which OS, time of day or how many times things are run the answers will always be different, even on the same installed OS.
There is another notebook system which has about a 5-6 hour battery life which, regardless of what is going on, remembering the brightness reduces battery life comment, which has no such issue of speedier battery charge loss. Installed is a full size OS, designed for desktops and not notebooks which also has the same profiler and there is no indication of battery loss aside from what would be a normal use.
Point is it's all relative with too many variables to make a definitive statement of a particular software or even hardware's effect.
One thing notable as example is in these forums you'll see any number of "turn off hardware acceleration" suggestions, must have missed the memo on that one as it's been active since 2013 on this system with no problems.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you