Future of Aurora Channel

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
Mouse5

Re: Future of Aurora Channel

Post by Mouse5 »

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:
Arch5 wrote:how could the Beta be less stable than Aurora? i dont get that
It will be the new Aurora basically except it will be patched at beta paces meaning if bugs make it's way in from a patch, it can't just be patched the next day or 2.
yes i know that buit Aurora as it stands now is just a Secondary Nightly/Beta it gets Patches when it needs it,
avada

Post by avada »

Ezh wrote:OK. Found this:

On April 17th, Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly.
This means Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly for two full cycles.
On June 13th, Firefox 55 will migrate directly from Nightly to Beta.
So this implicitly also means that they delayed all their plans (such as XUL addon removal) for v55 and later by one cycle, right?
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

avada wrote:
Ezh wrote:OK. Found this:

On April 17th, Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly.
This means Firefox 55 will remain on Nightly for two full cycles.
On June 13th, Firefox 55 will migrate directly from Nightly to Beta.
So this implicitly also means that they delayed all their plans (such as XUL addon removal) for v55 and later by one cycle, right?
no i dont think they have delayed anything. , they still have to get 54 out the door ( which will be in beta once 53 is released ) you cant have 54 an 55 in beta at the same time. 56 however will be released but named as a New Channel? as to what i dunno, Maybe Firefox-UX i dunno
avada

Post by avada »

Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:So does that mean no more daily updates? If so that's really sad to hear coming from a 6+ yr Aurora user. Slower fixes will likely mean less stability...
On central the daily updates remain... Also bugfixes were most often not pushed to aurora if it was a feature that wasn't enabled on stable, even though they fixed it on central, because they didn't give a crap. So you had to suffer the bug until the next version jump, or move to central.

IMO Aurora was always pointless and only resulted in slower uptake of features, bugfixes. If they have something mature enough they can just push it to beta and get better test coverage. (If they know something's broken they shouldn't push it...)
Arch5 wrote:no i dont think they have delayed anything. , they still have to get 54 out the door ( which will be in beta once 53 is released ) you cant have 54 an 55 in beta at the same time. 56 however will be released but named as a New Channel? as to what i dunno, Maybe Firefox-UX i dunno
Oh yeah, I was mistaken. The staying on 55 for central just cancels out the switch to merge directly to beta, version number vise.
Are You A Wiiizard?

Post by Are You A Wiiizard? »

avada wrote:
Are You A Wiiizard? wrote:So does that mean no more daily updates? If so that's really sad to hear coming from a 6+ yr Aurora user. Slower fixes will likely mean less stability...
On central the daily updates remain... Also bugfixes were most often not pushed to aurora if it was a feature that wasn't enabled on stable, even though they fixed it on central, because they didn't give a crap. So you had to suffer the bug until the next version jump, or move to central.

IMO Aurora was always pointless and only resulted in slower uptake of features, bugfixes. If they have something mature enough they can just push it to beta and get better test coverage. (If they know something's broken they shouldn't push it...)
Hmm... Didn't know that. Tbh I think they took Aurora too much like a beta than a second alpha, didn't risk uplifting much. I can understand after they made it the Developer's Edition but before it didn't make much sense from a dev pov. I think they needed to keep 6 week schedules for 4 channels otherwise release channel is just so far behind...
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

54 doesnt have many if any real features afaics https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/5 ... roranotes/. but yeah the Dev edition was useless channel , but the question is, will 57 still be released in November ? you'd think Moziolla will have to do a whole new Schedule
even here 54 has not a lot if any features in it. https://wiki.mozilla.org/Features/Relea ... Firefox_54
custom.firefox.lady

Post by custom.firefox.lady »

More info: http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/rele ... t-FAQ.html

If the pref for legacy add-ons (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Add-ons/Firefox57) will now only be available on Nightly, that gives legacy add-on authors (assuming we have any left :( ) zero time to fix things when they break. Was hoping Dev. Ed. would be an option for continuing to use these. There's always ESR for now, but I'd miss being on (or near) the edge.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar has been updated, it no longer displays builds in the non-existant aurora channel

old Firefox release cycle:
Nightly > Aurora > Beta > Stable
new Firefox release cycle: Nightly > Beta > Stable
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

Aurora still seems to get built every day, but not delivered via auto update. Are these builds without actual changes, just security fixes or something else entirely?
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Lurtz wrote:Aurora still seems to get built every day, but not delivered via auto update. Are these builds without actual changes, just security fixes or something else entirely?
there is no more AURORA CHANNEL . Aurora was merged to the Beta channel so you'll get the fix's there

this Thread could possibly be Closed now IMO
Lurtz

Post by Lurtz »

Arch5 wrote:there is no more AURORA CHANNEL . Aurora was merged to the Beta channel so you'll get the fix's there

What are these builds then?
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox ... la-aurora/

54.0a2 with timestamp from today. Are these already basically beta builds?
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Lurtz wrote:
Arch5 wrote:there is no more AURORA CHANNEL . Aurora was merged to the Beta channel so you'll get the fix's there

What are these builds then?
https://archive.mozilla.org/pub/firefox ... la-aurora/

54.0a2 with timestamp from today. Are these already basically beta builds?
http://release.mozilla.org/firefox/rele ... t-FAQ.html read that , but TB54 hasnt been officialy tagged as Beta Yet, an i dont see Firefox54 officially beta1 tagged yet
Ezh

Post by Ezh »

Installed Nightly and now I cannot use both Nightly and release/beta channel simultaneously. With Aurora it was possible.

Any suggestions?
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Lurtz wrote:Aurora still seems to get built every day, but not delivered via auto update. Are these builds without actual changes, just security fixes or something else entirely?
Did you read the FAQ?

The link was posted in Future of Aurora Channel • mozillaZine Forums

They are probably building in case they have to release a security update before moving users to the Beta channel.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Ezh wrote:Installed Nightly and now I cannot use both Nightly and release/beta channel simultaneously. With Aurora it was possible.

Any suggestions?
Reinstall Aurora.
Developer Edition, currently based off Aurora, will be updated to get builds from the Beta branch. There is nothing Developer Edition users need to do, they will update automatically to the Beta build keeping the Developer Edition themes, tools, and preferences as well as the existing profile.
Also in Dawn project or the end of Aurora which nobody seems to have read.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5