Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
GHM113

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by GHM113 »

Frank Lion, smsmith, it looks like now I feel the difference, thank you very much! It turns out I was wrong. OK, I'll try to post something new in this thread, what about this?
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/04 ... ent-223852
Starting with 57, many things will break that will also break add-ons. Most add-ons that aren’t WebExtensions will be broken regardless. Aligning with ESR is not a goal.
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02 ... ent-223780
After 57 it will still be possible to run low-level code in Developer Edition and Nightly, via WebExtensions Experiments. It’s not quite an off switch like we have with signing, but it’s one way to run something like legacy add-ons. However, you should be aware that most legacy add-ons will break after 57, regardless. There are big changes coming to Firefox (some of which we aren’t talking that much about yet) that will break legacy add-ons anyway. 57 is not an arbitrary goal, but a fairly hard deadline.

:-"
Sorry for my poor English.
squall_leonhart

Post by squall_leonhart »

tried the web extension version of ABP last night, on a site i know has particular scripts blocked (to prevent onclick popups). It failed the test.
Arch5 wrote:
squall_leonhart wrote:no he isn't, he just doesn't do half the work that ABP does....
afraid he is. just have a look how bad ABP is. google it. if Gorhill doesnt do half the work ABP does, then who does it for him?

can a Mod TRIM this Thread, its going off topic with this Ublock V's Adblock crap
"Bad" is relative to the use case, Ublock is inferior in capabilities as a result of being lighter on the browser.

I'm sure firefox could run faster if all it could do was search google.
sabret00the

Post by sabret00the »

We finally get the full spec: https://mozilla.invisionapp.com/share/5 ... /226627633

Also here's the write up about WebExt Experiments: https://webextensions-experiments.readt ... en/latest/
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

squall_leonhart wrote:Ublock is inferior in capabilities as a result of being lighter on the browser.
That's just plain false. If you leave all emotions aside and engage in a cold, rational technical assessment, you will be able to see it.
Edit: Let this be my answer to any such claims.
Last edited by gorhill on April 16th, 2017, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Look we all know he's a grubby troll so lets stop feeding him and taking the thread off topic
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

gorhill wrote:
squall_leonhart wrote:Ublock is inferior in capabilities as a result of being lighter on the browser.
That's just plain false. If you leave all emotions aside and engage in a cold, rational technical assessment, you will be able to see it.
Edit: Let this be my answer to any such claims.
Excellent!
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

Please to get this back on track and drop the talk of uBlock vs. Ad Block. Start a new thread if you want to discuss it further.
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
FloridaMatt

Post by FloridaMatt »

A Thank You to the poster(s?) who mentioned Vivaldi. I left Chrome behind when they eliminated the side tabs "experiment" and found Tree Style Tab and Tab Mix Plus to my liking. With the likelihood of those not surviving the impending debacle I've been looking at alternatives and been very disappointed in the available chrome side-tab addons. But Vivaldi has what I need of side tabs built in. While it is a work in progress, I'm impressed. It's no Firefox, but it looks like the devs are working on requested UI flexibility.
Aris

Post by Aris »

After 57 it will still be possible to run low-level code in Developer Edition and Nightly, via WebExtensions Experiments. It’s not quite an off switch like we have with signing, but it’s one way to run something like legacy add-ons. However, you should be aware that most legacy add-ons will break after 57, regardless. There are big changes coming to Firefox (some of which we aren’t talking that much about yet) that will break legacy add-ons anyway. 57 is not an arbitrary goal, but a fairly hard deadline.

I don't get the idea behind this. If legacy add-ons will break anyway, why even pseudo-offering the idea legacy add-ons could run on Nightly in the future (Developer Edition got dropped, only three channels will remain: release, beta, nightly)?
Why would any dev try to create a half-working frankenbuild of an add-on "via WebExtensions Experiments", so just some parts of it might run on Nightly only?
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Aris wrote:

I don't get the idea behind this. If legacy add-ons will break anyway, why even pseudo-offering the idea legacy add-ons could run on Nightly in the future (Developer Edition got dropped, only three channels will remain: release, beta, nightly)?
Why would any dev try to create a half-working frankenbuild of an add-on "via WebExtensions Experiments", so just some parts of it might run on Nightly only?
this WebExtension is a complete Mess, i dont blame the developers of Extensions pulling the pin now or at anytime. i think we all know from firefox 57 an onwards firefox will be on life support
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

Arch5 wrote:
Aris wrote:

this WebExtension is a complete Mess, i dont blame the developers of Extensions pulling the pin now or at anytime. i think we all know from firefox 57 an onwards firefox will be on life support
>i think we all know from firefox 57 an onwards firefox will be on life support

Oh please, don't be so dramatic.
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Grantius wrote: >i think we all know from firefox 57 an onwards firefox will be on life support

Oh please, don't be so dramatic.
I'll be surprised if there's a Jump in Users using it ( as their Primary Browser )
Timvde

Post by Timvde »

Aris wrote:Why would any dev try to create a half-working frankenbuild of an add-on "via WebExtensions Experiments", so just some parts of it might run on Nightly only?
- You are forced to put your low level access behind an API, pushing you to a better design
- When you have designed a useful WebExtension Experiment, you can request inclusion in Firefox itself, guaranteeing the stability of the API your add-on is using

(Just being the messenger here and trying to answer your question from Mozilla's point of view)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Timvde wrote:Mozilla's point of view)
Sounds like the point of view of well paid staff who think that volunteer extension developers are a right bunch of mugs to me.

Why not get them to have 'Poor Sap' tattooed on their foreheads at the same time?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

LOL (& my mother just asked me, what's so funny).
(PBS News Hour this evening, & it reminded me of this thread, How employers kill worker motivation and what they can do to change. [Note the robots... as you start building the second one, i break this into pieces ... & then i say, would you like to build another one, the third one".] Third time's the charm. In this case, I'm afraid not.)
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14727403
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript