IMAP Issues with Thunderbird and Outlook.com?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DanRaisch

Re: IMAP Issues with Thunderbird and Outlook.com?

Post by DanRaisch »

Mojo88, unless that is happening because of the slow response from Hotmail/Outlook servers it is off topic for this thread and you should create a new topic to address that issue.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

DanRaisch wrote:Mojo88, unless that is happening because of the slow response from Hotmail/Outlook servers it is off topic for this thread and you should create a new topic to address that issue.
Well, I never had those problems before my troubles with T-Bird/Outlook, so I am assuming it is absolutely related to this thread topic. Of course, this is anecdotal evidence, I do not have the knowledge to determine with 100% specificity the exact cause. If I had that knowledge, I would offer it to fix this issue. 8-)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you have just one account set up in Thunderbird and that one with Hotmail/Outlook?
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

DanRaisch wrote:Do you have just one account set up in Thunderbird and that one with Hotmail/Outlook?
I have five other accounts in T-Bird and they all retrieve emails with blazing speed. Outlook used to be almost as fast. The five other accounts still work perfectly. Feel free to delete other post if you think it's off topic. Heck, feel free to do anything, just get the problem fixed, please........ thank you............ :)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

I don't plan to delete any posts here at this time. I'm just trying to bring to your attention the fact that the problem seems to be with the Microsoft side of the equation and that any fixes should be coming from them. If you have six accounts and five "still work perfectly", logic suggests a fix for the performance issues you are having with Hotmail/Outlook is probably not to be found in Thunderbird, particularly since it was previously working well but now has major problems.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

DanRaisch wrote:I don't plan to delete any posts here at this time. I'm just trying to bring to your attention the fact that the problem seems to be with the Microsoft side of the equation and that any fixes should be coming from them. If you have six accounts and five "still work perfectly", logic suggests a fix for the performance issues you are having with Hotmail/Outlook is probably not to be found in Thunderbird, particularly since it was previously working well but now has major problems.
Dan, thanks very much. I love Mozilla products and am not trying to be a PITA. I appreciate everything you and Mozilla are doing. Terrific products. :)

Issue seems much better today. Hotmail messages came flying through into Thunderbird. Interestingly, this happened after Thunderbird installed some updates, so not sure if the updates fixed the problem. But anyway, this is the first time T-Bird retrieved messages quickly. Maybe the issue has been resolved, at least partially?
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

Mojo88 wrote:Issue seems much better today. Hotmail messages came flying through into Thunderbird. Interestingly, this happened after Thunderbird installed some updates, so not sure if the updates fixed the problem. But anyway, this is the first time T-Bird retrieved messages quickly. Maybe the issue has been resolved, at least partially?
Odds are, MS fixed whatever it was they had farged up. If so, I doubt that they'll ever "fess up".
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
Doc Curtis

Post by Doc Curtis »

Sadly, I am once again experiencing way too many "loading message" freezes and "server timeout" problems. Looks like I'll have to avoid getting Outlook.com email with Thunderbird during busy times. I feel like a chef with a favorite pan that cannot be used during meal time.
jperl

Post by jperl »

This is mostly to DanRaisch and MossyRocky. First, I agree this is a Hotmail/Outlook problem. Microsoft doesn't/may not make any ad money when we access e-mails through Thunderbird, especially if people use the Ad-Blocker extension. MS is also probably not collecting the data mining info, when we access through TB, as MS would if we accessed directly from Outlook. But there's another possible issue, one I suggest to Dan he push up to the Mozilla legal team. I am wondering if the changes to the net neutrality laws/regulations are now enabling MS to do the things that MossyRocky suggests is what is happening. If this is the case, then Mozilla should consider that other web based e-mail services, G-Mail, AOL, Yahoo may eventually follow suit on this.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

jperl:

Even if that was true I doubt Mozilla would care. They unfortunately make a big distinction between the web and the Internet. Otherwise they wouldn't have abandoned Thunderbird, complained about the Thunderbird tax on Firefox development, and encouraged the project to find a new home.

I used to have a problem with my Outlook IMAP account, but for the last couple of days its been working fine. That makes me suspect its a host specific problem. The most likely explanation is incompetence/disinterest.
MossyRocky

Post by MossyRocky »

I just received this from the outlook.com support person I've been communicating with on these issues:

"Thank you for responding and I understand your frustration.

To set your expectation, Microsoft is always making an update to Microsoft accounts. Moving forward, even if the Email client’s released a stable version, there is a possibility that the Email client is not compatible with updates of the Microsoft account. What I can recommend to you is to use an Outlook application for your Email client for better experience or if you doesn’t want the Outlook application, for the meantime you can use the Outlook webmail for your Emails until Thunderbird release a version that is compatible for the Microsoft accounts.

In behalf of Microsoft, I do apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing right now."
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

MossyRocky wrote:I just received this from the outlook.com support person I've been communicating with on these issues:

"Thank you for responding and I understand your frustration.

To set your expectation, Microsoft is always making an update to Microsoft accounts. Moving forward, even if the Email client’s released a stable version, there is a possibility that the Email client is not compatible with updates of the Microsoft account. What I can recommend to you is to use an Outlook application for your Email client for better experience or if you doesn’t want the Outlook application, for the meantime you can use the Outlook webmail for your Emails until Thunderbird release a version that is compatible for the Microsoft accounts.

In behalf of Microsoft, I do apologize for the inconvenience that you are experiencing right now."
In other words, it's like a hot potato, with each company tossing it back and forth, not wanting to touch it..... :(
fabrice.regnier

Post by fabrice.regnier »

Hi there,

Same for me. For few days, 157.56.254.178 (M$ mail server) doesn't want me to connect with thunderbird client.
What could ne done about it ? (except using Outlook client ;) )

May be the mozilla team could fix it ?

regards,

f.
fabrice.regnier

Post by fabrice.regnier »

fabrice.regnier wrote:Same for me. For few days, 157.56.254.178 (M$ mail server) doesn't want me to connect with thunderbird client.
Sorry for the noise. Instead of the IP, i used the FQDN (outlook.office365.com) and then everything goes ok.
mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 »

Mojo88 wrote:
MossyRocky wrote:..After watching this problem now for almost a month from multiple angles, it appears to me that two things have happened: 1) MS is no longer following the standard IMAP protocol - they are using a proprietary one, and 2) they are throttling non-MS email clients, and it gets really bad during peak hours.

They want you to use only MS email clients......
Yes, this wouldn't surprise me one bit..... :(

These issues are absolutely crippling my once-wonderful Thunderbird.
lol, the irony being that one reason people have most recently moved to Thunderbird from Microsoft email clients was because Microsoft broke Windows Live Mail in various ways:
https://messengergeek.wordpress.com/201 ... nt-page-1/