1 site, 1 page continuously refreshes

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Luap

1 site, 1 page continuously refreshes

Post by Luap »

I have a problem with 1 site, 1 page in Firefox 51.0.1. The following page from Lee Valley continues to reconnect to a web page (so does Chrome but IE works). This is the only site in thousands I've used that does this. I have a .doc copy of "View Page Source" available.
https://www.leevalley.com/en/shopping/StorePayment.aspx

LEE VALLEY PROGRESS BAR VIEW OF WEB PAGES:
Shopping Cart - shows what is being purchased page is stable
Login - is passed over because of already being logged in
Billing - billing information page is stable
Shipping - selection of how/where to ship page is stable
Payment - page reconnects every second or 2 and thus cannot be used to input
payment information.
=========================
Firefox 51.0.1
about:config
accessibility.blockautorefresh;true
dfoulkes

Re: 1 site, 1 page continuously refreshes

Post by dfoulkes »

That link points to something in the site that requires logging in... which most won't register to do...

At times I've hit on something like that and found that blocking a cookie(s) or stuff like that would cause a site to reload on its own looking for that cookie... anyway, something like that...

Rather than beat your head on this... you might want to create a test profile, use it as-is and then see what happens with that site... you will need to login in of course...and this will show you that it works fine or now.

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.
Last edited by dfoulkes on February 21st, 2017, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
Luap

Post by Luap »

Thanks dfoulkes, but ... you cannot get to that page unless you are logged in. My Firefox cookies are always enabled since a lot of secure sites will not advance unless cookies are enabled. Also note that Chrome reacts the same way while IE does not have a problem. This problem - this site - this page has been failing for over 10 months. I've just given up on the web site IT people and am looking to see if anyone can figure out what they are doing wrong or what Firefox or Chrome are not checking for that IE does.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

If you have not created that test profile... please do that so that we can eliminate that step....

...also, what AV software do you use? ... maybe it's causing issues with that site for some reason.... I know... IE works...but who knows how the guts of some progs. work... know what I mean?

One way to rule out AV stuff... reboot your PC into safe-mode with Network active... then just visit that site... the more info from testing the better the answers.
I have a .doc copy of "View Page Source" available.
How big is it? ... if not too big...post it here... else maybe find a shared location?
Luap

Post by Luap »

Please enlighten me how a new Firefox profile could help considering Chrome also fails the same way ? I use Vipre and I have thoroughly tested every aspect including running without any Vipre program, process or service. Since IE works and apparently there's no fire under Lee Valley's IT department to fix the issue, I just though someone could point me to a possible area that would cause the web page to continue to reconnect. I really hate bothering Firefox for help when I know that the problem isn't Firefox.

The page's HTML code is around 85kb (.doc format). What is the maximum file size I can send ?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Please enlighten me how a new Firefox profile could help considering Chrome also fails the same way ?
All browser are built differently and IE is one that specifically 'allows' more non-secure type of code to enter into it... that has been seen around here plenty of times.... but you posted to this Firefox board and asked your orig. question... and one of the main requests that we make to users is to try that test profile... at least it will/may 'prove' that the problem is still there in Firefox... and maybe nothing can be done at this end... plus, many sites code their pages to be more IE compatible that the other browsers... that happens. So, please try that out.
The page's HTML code is around 85kb (.doc format). What is the maximum file size I can send ?
This site does not accept 'files' nor 'pics' ... what it does is ask the user to use a 3rd part site to store the data and then a link to that data.... that request is normally for pics because they can take up large amounts of room on this private server... but if the file you have is only 85kb... that doesn't sound like much... but you need to open it up in an app... highlight all of it and copy/paste it here...

BTW... if all else fails...I don't use it but you might have to...
IE Tab V2 (Enhanced IE Tab) :: Add-ons for Firefox

Plus, in the add-ons page... I did a search of 'open in IE' and I see other extensions that seem to do the same.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Luap wrote:Since IE works and apparently there's no fire under Lee Valley's IT department to fix the issue, I just though someone could point me to a possible area that would cause the web page to continue to reconnect. I really hate bothering Firefox for help when I know that the problem isn't Firefox.

Viewing the Source Code on the page that does load shows this:

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
HTML code standards from the last century!

They need to update that website to use HTML5 code for their secure pages - and move into the 2nd decade of the 21st century

As far as it working in Internet Explorer, that browser is the past. Microsoft has moved on to Edge as their web browser and IE will never be fully compatible with HTML5. All that IE will ever get is security fixes.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Luap

Post by Luap »

Sorry for this long delay. I ran into a bad windows update early march and have been fighting many other problems since. Funny you should point out HTML5. Why, well this sight with pretty well the same interface has been used for years without a problem. You are also correct about their urgency. This problems popped up last May (2016). In the next few days I will try dfoulkes work around https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search.
Luap

Post by Luap »

Oops, looks like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... src=search is not available for Firefox 52.0. I will forward dfloulkes assessment to the company. I will not inform them where I got the info.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Since this problem affects both Firefox & Chrome...
it's getting moved to the Tech. forum.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Luap

Post by Luap »

Correction to my last 2 posts ... it was not not dfoulkes ... it was the-edmeister.
therube

Post by therube »

If you have not created that test profile... please do that so that we can eliminate that step....
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript