Thunderbird can't find account information after update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
IDC

Thunderbird can't find account information after update

Post by IDC »

After updating Thunderbird all my account information and all emails are gone. All the information remains on the disk though. When I open the Thunderbird folder I can see all old folders, some having big files inside. When I start Thunderbird everything is empty though. I didn't find a way to use or import anything of what is still on the disk.
So I reconfigured one of my mail accounts and of course Thunderbird downloaded all emails from the mail server. Now I can change the destination folder in the account settings by I fear by changing this it might just overwrite all my old data and of course the information on the mail server is incomplete because older emails are deleted by the provider automatically after a while.
I think the previous Thunderbird version was very old (several years) when the update took place. Could it be that the data structure is different than it used to be? I don't know what version I was updating from. Is there a way to find this out somehow? I am using Thunderbird on Windows 10 and I am always using POP3.

To show you the difference in the folder structure. This is what the new account folder looks like I've set up in the current version:

And this is what the old folder for the same account looks like:

As you can see in the old folder, the popstate.dat file was modified on March 15th, so 2 days ago. That's the last time I saw my emails in the UI.
I could change the target folder for my mail account in the account settings but I fear it will overwrite the files with the new ones and I still have the same issue with some other mail accounts. I only configured this one for testing the options I have.

So what can I do to get all locally stored emails back?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird can't find account information after update

Post by DanRaisch »

There has been no significant change in Thunderbird's data structure in many years.

See if this article is helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Recovering_a_ ... isappeared

If not successful with that information, see this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_folders
IDC

Post by IDC »

Thank you for the links.
Configuring all profiles again and changing the folder names in the prefs.js file worked.
I can't download any emails from one of my accounts though. When I start Thunderbird it is busy with this account for a while and when I try to check for new messages I get a warning telling me that this mailbox is busy and that I should wait for he procedure to complete.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

* How is that mail account set up, as POP or IMAP?
* Who is the mail provider? Your ISP, corporate e-mail system or Web-based?
* What is the exact text of the error message?
IDC

Post by IDC »

POP
The mail provider is actually the same as the first account I tried. For the first one it works but the other one I get this error message and I'm not receiving any emails. I compared the configuration and it's exactly the same except for one thing: The account that has the problem has additional settings under "storage space" but it seems that's only for deleting messages.
I can only give you the error message in German: "Das Konto <mail adress> wird bearbeitet. Bitte warten Sie, bis der Vorgang abgeschlossen ist, um Nachrichten abzurufen."
My translation of this would be "The account <mail adress> is being edited. Please wait for the process to complete to retrieve messages."
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

What specific settings are different between the two accounts in Thunderbird?
Log onto the web mail page for the problem account and delete the oldest message in the inbox folder (that has not yet been downloaded to Thunderbird.)
IDC

Post by IDC »

The settings are all the same.
Deleting the message didn't change anything.
Is there no log file or something where I can see what it is trying to do?
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

IDC

Post by IDC »

Here I can see a difference.
For the mailbox working I have this line here:
BeginMailDelivery acquiring semaphore
Followed by downloading all emails and at the end of this process there is:
Calling ReleaseFolderLock from ~nsPop3Sink
ReleaseFolderLock haveSemaphore = FALSE

Then I have 1 min 12 sec with no action and then it continues with: LoadUrl()
Authentication seems to work and then I get this here:
BeginMailDelivery folder locked
Calling ReleaseFolderLock from AbortMailDelivery
ReleaseFolderLock haveSemaphore = FALSE
ERROR: pop3ServerBusy

With no other lines in between.
What does that mean "pop3ServerBusy"?