"Failed to save into Sent folder" error message

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
richiehustle

"Failed to save into Sent folder" error message

Post by richiehustle »

I get a "Failed to save into Sent folder" error message from time to time, it goes with two dialog box buttons: "OK" and "Cancel". I am prompted to hit "OK" everytime.
Is there a way to tune a parameter in about:config so there would be longer timeout for saving a sent message in Sent folder?
DanRaisch

Re: "Failed to save into Sent folder" error message

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
richiehustle

Post by richiehustle »

IMAP that is...
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

The problem is that uploads to a remote folder in a IMAP account occasionally fail when sending and there is no retry button. Its not clear to me why I have no problem copying/moving messages between remote folders or uploading them from "Local Folders" but uploading them while sending occasionally fails. However I've run into the same problem occasionally. Unless you want to change to using a local folder for the sent folder the only solution seems to be to configure the SMTP server to save a copy of the sent message. That is what Gmail's and Zoho's SMTP server does automatically. A few email providers provide that option for email clients (such as fastmail.fm and zoho.com) where you can configure a personality (from: address) and specify where its sent folder is using the webmail user interface. If you do that you need to disable Thunderbird saving a copy or you can get a duplicate.
Xtech69

Post by Xtech69 »

I have both of these problems! How do I disable Thunderbird from saving a copy?
Also, how can I set the sent file to discard files that are old?
Thank you for any help.
sfhowes

Post by sfhowes »

You can disable the saving of sent messages under Tools/Account Settings, select the account in the left pane, then Copies & Folders. Some services such as gmail and hotmail/outlook/live automatically save copies to the Sent folder for IMAP accounts, even if the setting in TB is unchecked. Sent messages can be saved on an individual basis by selecting Options/Send a copy to in the Write window.

Right-click the Sent folder, Properties, Retention Policy, to discard older messages.