Moving Menu Button w/o Addons

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
FirefoxNoAddons

Moving Menu Button w/o Addons

Post by FirefoxNoAddons »

Good morning all,
Recently I decided to remove all of my FF addons and themes and see how I can work with it. For now, I have left a few addons enabled, e.g. uBlock, uMatrix, Smart HTTPS, etc. So far, it hasn't been too big of a change; however, there are a few minor issues that I am working on. For this topic - the menu button.

The menu button in the default theme defaults sits on the right side of the toolbar. Easy enough to move with UI Fixer and countless other addons; however, I would like to do with CSS in userChrome.css if possible.

Any ideas on how to move it to the left of the size w/o using an addon ?
Thanks.
Grumpus

Re: Moving Menu Button w/o Addons

Post by Grumpus »

If you are referring to what's called the "hamburger" three horizontal line.
This is the default for Firefox- Right click on the navigation bar in any blank space and with the menu that shows click on "customize.."
You should be able to drag and drop it just about anywhere you'd like.
If the menu bar isn't showing you can hit the Alt key to temporarily bring up the view menu and checkmark the bars you'd like to see.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Grumpus wrote:If you are referring to what's called the "hamburger" three horizontal line.
This is the default for Firefox- Right click on the navigation bar in any blank space and with the menu that shows click on "customize.."
You should be able to drag and drop it just about anywhere you'd like.
If the menu bar isn't showing you can hit the Alt key to temporarily bring up the view menu and checkmark the bars you'd like to see.
That doesn't work for the hamburger; it is locked in that position, at least on my FF on Mac.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Try this code in a userContent.css file.

Code: Select all

@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
@-moz-document url("chrome://browser/content/browser.xul") 
{
  #PanelUI-button, #customization-panel-container,
  #customization-panelWrapper .panel-arrow,
  #ctr_panelui-button,
  #wrapper-ctr_panelui-button {
    -moz-box-ordinal-group: 0
  }

#PanelUI-button {
    background-position: 100% 0, calc(100% - 1px) 0, calc(100% - 2px) 0;
  }
}
From https://userstyles.org/styles/94907/aus ... n-the-left. If you happen to have Stylish installed a Show CSS link appears on UserStyle website pages, allowing you to see the code and copy what you want to use.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
FirefoxNoAddons

Post by FirefoxNoAddons »

Amazing! Thank you the-edmeister. This worked perfectly and was exactly what I was looking for. Using this, another add-on disabled (UI Fixer in this case).
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Redundant question: Did anyone try it in safe mode? OP had extensions still operable . . .
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Grumps...
To answer your Q?, sort of...
The only way I found to move the Hamburger was to install a full theme in v50.
&, as I'm not running v52 as yet, so,... Image
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Limpet235 - It was just a thought. 8-[
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

the-edmeister, at the end of the year with FF57 dumping xul and userChrome.css no longer works, will userContent.css still work?

the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Not sure that userChrome.css will stop working, although the code identifiers will be changed when XUL goes away so existing code will probably won't work. As far userContent.css goes, I think it is likely that will be gone per speculation I saw in the UserStyles support forum a few months ago. That was cited as a reason that Stylish won't make it in Fx 57.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Thanks. For now I'm using SeaMonkey and some userChrome.css tweaks. Also reduced my extensions to those I view as very important. I do tests for some extension dev's since I use a Mac. Unfortunately they will likely drop their extensions since WebExtensions is still in flux and according on one of them "lame".

I'm currently archiving SeaMonkey compatible extensions and those that work after going through the converter. If SM drops xul in the future that will be the end of my use of the Mozilla browsers.

impar

Post by impar »

This is one of the most absurd design decisions Mozilla made with Australis. Uncostumizable UI elements, and it will get even worse in v57.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

glad they will end this crap with v57. i see people styling thier firefox more than other people pimp there car - and they are not able to handel most code, just c&p from other sources, no own development. next major crying rivers. same for scripts.

i also use stylish for my needs, but was hard work to investigate and to keep it up to date and functional. Australis made it really easy for me, at least CTR do the basics and i teh fine tuning.

yes, stylish is available for chrome so i think its available for firefox >=57. but i also think its no longer usable for the UI which offers a complete new api with less options.

for now i can see how chrome/chromium is working - i can move buttons with ease, hide/show. a nice preview.

"road to firefox 57"
https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2017/02 ... ilestones/
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Anti left handed bigotry...all buttons should be movable L/R..R/L
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

idd it should - was just an answer for the usage of massive code, either stylish or userchrome. last usage of opera did not allow me moving buttons, sorted as extensions were installed, same for vivaldi. chromium let me sort - except the hamburger button. (since v51 as i can read). pity