Strange Web Programming (Solved)

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
John Liebson

Strange Web Programming (Solved)

Post by John Liebson »

A few days agp. on motortrend.com , I found that some of the links at the top of the page no longer worked, in particular "News." When the mouse is over that, a bar should appear under it, and clicking on the word should go to that part of the site. This has worked for a long time, but suddenly stopped. I have spent a fair amount of frustrating testing to find out that, if in Fx Options/Content/Fonts & Colors/Advanced, Minimum Font Size is set to 11 or higher, most of the Motor Trend links stop working.

That is not something that I have encountered on any other web sites; I normally have the minimum font size set to 14, which until recently, worked fine for Motor Trend. I don't know if this specifically related to Fx; I don't even know if other browsers have a minimum font size setting. Thus, this may belong in the MozillaZine Tech section.

Any idea as to why this odd behavior?
Last edited by John Liebson on April 20th, 2017, 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
RobertJ

Re: Strange Web Programming

Post by RobertJ »

"News." When the mouse is over that, a bar should appear under it, and clicking on the word should go to that part of the site.
WFM with FF52.0.2 and Seamonkey2.46

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

RobertJ wrote:.
"News." When the mouse is over that, a bar should appear under it, and clicking on the word should go to that part of the site.
WFM with FF52.0.2 and Seamonkey2.46

Not for me with Fx 53.0 with a new profile, nor with my default profile. In both cases, my testing demonstrated that as soon as I set the minimum font size to 11 or higher, the links stopped working. If I then reset to min. 10 and reloaded the page, the links worked again. The oddness is repeatable, which I as I kept trying to figure out what was causing the inks to cease working.

Quite odd, just as is the rest of the world....
Lnwdz

Post by Lnwdz »

They didn't allow enough room for enlarged "REAL MPG" and "CERTIFIED" links. You can work around it by scrolling down a little to make those two links disappear.
Last edited by Lnwdz on April 20th, 2017, 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

John Liebson wrote:Not for me with Fx 53.0 with a new profile, nor with my default profile. In both cases, my testing demonstrated that as soon as I set the minimum font size to 11 or higher, the links stopped working. If I then reset to min. 10 and reloaded the page, the links worked again. The oddness is repeatable, which I as I kept trying to figure out what was causing the inks to cease working.

Quite odd, just as is the rest of the world....
FF53 is beta so who knows. Also, I set FF to use fonts. ...., specified by the site since that is generally how the designer tests it.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
John Liebson

Post by John Liebson »

Lnwdz wrote:They didn't allow enough room for enlarged "REAL MPG" and "CERTIFIED" links. You can work around it by scrolling down a little until those two links disappear.
Ah, two mysteries solved--and I can only hope that you only charge for one:

1. Rather early today, in doing some further testing, I once or twice noticed that something had changed on the page, but could not duplicate whatever it was that I had done to cause the change, nor did I then see if the links worked. Apparently, I had somewhat inadvertently moved the mouse down the page, which apparently caused whatever change it was that I had seen.

2. Having read your solution, and with min size set to 14, I brought up the page, scrolled down, checked the link, which now worked.
kreemoweet

Re: Strange Web Programming (Solved)

Post by kreemoweet »

Same broken-ness at that site with my FF 52. Another one of those crummy sites with all the content squished together in the middle of the page. Fie on 'em.
JayhawksRock

Re: Strange Web Programming (SOlved)

Post by JayhawksRock »

My default min. font size is 15px... If I allow tracking by clicking the site icon in the address bar, all is good.
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln