Trouble with Optus.

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
NanM

Re: Trouble with Optus.

Post by NanM »

@ LIMPET235

From the Department of Late to the Party, and I also apologise for a long post.

It's not you.
Optarse has the reputation of being hopeless at any kind of Web coding. The word is that they buy chunks of third party frameworks and set cheap uni labour to fiddling with it every single day.
Nothing on the Optus site maintains much integrity from hour to hour, let alone day to day.

We run our prepaid modems through Dovado's Tiny routers, and it's guaranteed that the connections which behave the most unpredictably will be...Optus.
Dovado's coders gave up trying to get to the bottom of the way Optus fiddles with their prepaid routing - their description of it was "unbelievably chatty" so what chance do we at the end have?
That's not your web stuff admittedly, but the Optus approach to network coding is a good example of their whole approach.

Around here, there are various Moz browsers in various systems ranging between SM 2.40, ESR45 and the latest stable Fx - 53 I think. The systems are XP, Ubuntu various, Puppy self-builds, Win7, a single Android mess.
Most of them have Optus sims for data. Most of them have found the Optus web membership stuff inconsistent and sometimes fully failing.
Not even the public information pages maintain much integrity and are full of redundant links and deliberate blind alleys.
Your experience of on-then-off functioning within hours isn't so unusual.
Their 'support' forums are as much of a joke as their phoneline and chat 'support'. The only exception to that status is when a person has paid for a sim and can't connect to the network; fair enough because they want people on the net and falling into all their churn traps as quickly as possible.
The Optus motto has always been: churn churn churn.
I'd say you've been incredibly lucky to only find a brick wall lately.

I eschew any more relationship with Optus than a prepaid boredband sim; when the data runs out I recharge via sms...avoid the website altogether. Sounds like you're on some kind of postpaid relationship, so my sympathies.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

So they should rename the company Worstus.....
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi NanM,
Thanks for the extra info. on how Optus performs.
For the "2nd largest Co." (I can't believe that), they should be handling the whole NBN conversion much, much better.
I had better, more reliable service with ADSL2.
If you don't already know of this fora & want to read a tad more, go to the Yes Crowd. (My Optus Community)
Talk about totally ignoring paying customers!

Anyway, I think in my case, I'll just use v50 when v20 doesn't work.

Thanks.

Regards, L..

ps. MightyG, You are correct.
But, it seems as though it's rampant throughout the industry here.
Quite a few complaints from all/most suppliers.
&, we're paying a heap more for less service & the plans offered.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

I was just at the Yes Crowd forum, checking a few posts out & this jumped out at me.

The chap was trying to get an answer as to why his NBN was so damn slow & he contacted the Optus Tech. Support team.
This is what he got back...
Dear Customer,
We will continue to provide you a substandard service that in no way represents anything close to what you
were promised and are being billed for but you must continue to pay for it in full until such time as
we can be bothered to actually do anything to try and rectify the problem.

We have offered for you to exit your contract.
We know full well that this will in no way benefit you as a customer but it will mean that
Optus will no longer have to deal with you which at this point is all we are interested in..

Regards
Optus.
You can add your own comments to that response.

Total disregard for a long term (17 years), paying customer.

ps. I've been with them since 2004.
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

lord i hope i dont have the problems your having LIMPET , but i use Bigpond ( Telstra ) which is basically a Microsoft Gold Company ) they dont support Thunderbird, an i dunno if they support Firefox at all. but yeah i been with Bigpond since 2007 , but have you tried going to youre Telecomunications onbudsman ?
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Hi Arch5,
Nahhh.
Much easier if I cannot use v20 to log in to check "My Account", I'll just use v50 or whichever one works.
Why would Telstra not support Firefox or Thunderbird?

As for contacting the Ombudsman...Not worth the time or trouble.
Too many people at the Yes Crowd have already noted their complaints with no response from Optus.
Paper Tiger?

LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

LIMPET235 wrote: As for contacting the Ombudsman...Not worth the time or trouble.
Too many people at the Yes Crowd have already noted their complaints with no response from Optus.
Paper Tiger?
Hi LIMPET!
Have seen many a company that has had not very good tech support. :roll: *sigh*
Paper Tiger? you say? ... not familiar with that ... :-k
Gonna go check that out ... Even us IT folks don't know everything ... :wink:
Good Luck to you on getting a good solution for your issue and better customer service! :mrgreen:
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

Paper Tiger = No teeth....or totally useless.
:)

LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

LIMPET235 wrote:Paper Tiger = No teeth....or totally useless.
:)
Ah! Ha! :lol:
Me thinks I need to reboot the CPU in my head ... :wink:
LIMPET hoping you find a really good alternative to Optus soon.
Am thinking that's the best solution for you.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

LIMPET235 wrote:Hi Arch5,
Nahhh.
Much easier if I cannot use v20 to log in to check "My Account", I'll just use v50 or whichever one works.
Why would Telstra not support Firefox or Thunderbird?

As for contacting the Ombudsman...Not worth the time or trouble.
Paper Tiger?
why? as there a Microsft Gold User Company, they only use Microsoft stuff only afaik