Firefox browser is stuck since 2006 at file version 4.42.0.0

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
NotesTracker

Firefox browser is stuck since 2006 at file version 4.42.0.0

Post by NotesTracker »

I have saved quite a range of Firefox installers, and there’s something that puzzles me about them

Let’s start with Firefox release 1.0.3 which is indicated to be File Version 3.12.0.0 as shown at http://notestracker.net/images/mozilla/ ... nshot1.png

My understanding of “file version” is that the product developer is supposed to register each file (such as an installer) with a unique number that truly represents its release number, as happens with the most recent version of RoboForm:
http://notestracker.net/images/mozilla/ ... nshot2.png

With many products, the external “release” number and the internal “file version” number are kept in sync like this.

When Firefox release 2.0 was made available in December 2006, it was changed to File Version 4.42.0.0 as in the following screenshot: http://notestracker.net/images/mozilla/ ... nshot3.png

Most strangely, ever since then and up to the current Firefox release 53.0 (April 2017) the internal “file version” has remained at 4.42.0.0 which irks me. It seems rather sloppy, but I might be missing something.

Can anybody advise me why Mozilla hasn’t kept the release number and file version number in sync since 2006?

Yes, I know that it's not the end of the world, but it seems inconsistent and I would like to get to the bottom of it.
Last edited by NotesTracker on April 21st, 2017, 6:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tony Austin
therube

Re: Firefox browser is stuck since 2006 at file version 4.42

Post by therube »

How are you determining the "file version"?
Oh, just a mouseover from Windows Explorer.

And you're looking at the installer itself rather then the "firefox.exe" executable from within the installer.

So you're determining the "file version" of the installer itself, & it is that that has remained constant.

Could it be that FF uses (an ancient, 4.42) version of 7-zip SFX as the basis for its .exe installer?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
NotesTracker

Post by NotesTracker »

@therube,
That's correct, just via a mouseover in Windows File Explorer (same as looking at the file's properties via the File Explorer context menu).

When (until a few years ago, when I retired) I delivered my software products I made it patently obvious at the most user-friendly top level, typically the installer, that the "file version" and "release version" were in sync. The golden rule for this would be "Don't confuse your users, and don't keep them in the dark!"
Tony Austin
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

4.42 is version number of installer, not firefox. and installer not an installer, its an 7zip-sfx which did not changed over the years. retired for good.