Javascript must be enabled.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Omy

Javascript must be enabled.

Post by Omy »

This is a shot in the dark since I coudl find no information to help with this. I just installed Firefox 53.0 (64 bit) and am getting an error, on one site so far, which tells me to enable Javascript and cookies.

Both are enabled, I checked about:config, and options for cookies. I also tried safe mode and Portable. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
barbaz

Re: Javascript must be enables

Post by barbaz »

Omy wrote:I just installed Firefox 53.0 (64 bit) and am getting an error, on one site so far,
Which site? Please provide a link to the page where you see this.
Omy

Post by Omy »

It happens when trying to post a comment. The page is:

http://rickwells.us/n-korea-tensions-li ... n-america/

Thank you for the reply.
TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

Site works here, just posted there....

What blocking addons are you using ? NoScript > ABP uBlock ?

What Antivirus are you using ?
Omy

Post by Omy »

I am using Windows Security Essentials on Windows 7. I and AdFender.

I started Firefox in safe mode to disable all blockers and also exited AdFender. What I haven't tried is Windows in safe mode as well. Perhaps I should try that. I'll post again after that try.

Thanks
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Working as expected for me in both Firefox 53.0 and my daily browser. I'm only seeing that notice when JavaScript is actually disabled.

Did you try accessing the site in a new, clean profile with all defaults?
Omy

Post by Omy »

barbaz,

I did not. I will try that as well and get back to you also.

Thanks
Omy

Post by Omy »

TheVisitor, barbaz

My error and not thinking. There are now 2 profiles in 2 different locations in my USER folder. I checked in troubleshooting and both seem to be open to Firefox. I tried renaming what appeared to be the older file but when Firefox started it could not find the new profile.

I believe the problem stemmed from me not uninstalling Firefox before the new install???? Should I backup the new one which I assume is good, uninstall, reinstall and copy the profile back?

Thanks again for the help
therube

Post by therube »

Profiles are not FF.
I don't believe an uninstall of FF affects Profiles?
But you can use FF's Profile Manager (they still have that, don't they?) to add, remove Profiles.

Be aware of which Profile you're wanting (& it certainly won't hurt to backup first).

Profile folder - Firefox
Profile Manager
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Omy

Post by Omy »

Thank you all.
It appears that I must have corrupted my FF, even though everything else seemed to work. When the auto update failed I did a manual upgrade. When selecting the download I clicked (64bit) not realizing that my original was x86.

I will remove FF and the files and reinstall. I hope that takes care of it.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
85rx-7se

Re: Javascript must be enabled.

Post by 85rx-7se »

Just so you know, they have a Java version for 64 Bit browsers. So if you want firefox 64, then you need the Java 64 Bit version
Pick the Offline Windows Installer 64 Bit version on this page (currently at Java 8 Update 131)
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Omy

Post by Omy »

85rx-7se,

Thank you. I will try to go to 64 Bit. I'll try to have a restore version ready in case I mess it up.

Once again, thank you all for the help.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

Java and JavaScript are two different things entirely. Do not install Java unless you are absolutely sure you need it. Java is disabled in Firefox by default. It has a history of security exploits.

You do not have to install anything extra for Firefox to enable JavaScript. JavaScript should enabled unless you have an extension installed that prevents JavaScript from working.
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

You must have the Java Runtime installed and enabled in Firefox Plug-Ins or certain web sites will not work. I am not referring to Java Development Kit which is used to create Java apps, but to the Runtime which is needed to display most Java content. I can tell you for sure that some sites, like puzzles, rely on actual Java to load the crossword grid or other game. You can try this yourself here: http://old.seattletimes.com/comicsgames ... sword.html
That site does need Java or it will not load.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

Some sites still use Java for games, most commonly, it's true, but they are not that common. The site OP refers to mentions JavaScript specifically.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ve-content