Javascript must be enabled.

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
dickvl

Re: Javascript must be enabled.

Post by dickvl »

See also Why-do-Java-Silverlight-Adobe-Acrobat-and-other-plugins-no longer work.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/npapi-plugins
James

Post by James »

85rx-7se wrote:Just so you know, they have a Java version for 64 Bit browsers. So if you want firefox 64, then you need the Java 64 Bit version
Pick the Offline Windows Installer 64 Bit version on this page (currently at Java 8 Update 131)
https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
The Java Plugin and JavaScript in Firefox are two very different things as JavaScript was originally going to be called LiveScript.

The Java Plugin from Oracle does not work in Win64 Firefox as only the 64-bit Flash Player and Silverlight Plugins were allowed to run for Win64 Fx 43.0 to 51.0 Releases. On Windows you needed 32-bit Firefox and 32-bit Plugins.

Firefox 52.0 and later Releases on Windows, Mac OSX, Linux only allows the Flash Player Plugin to run.

Firefox 52 ESR however allows other Plugins to run, however the Win64 version still only allows the 64-bit Flash Player and Silverlight Plugins to run.

Oracle is in process of discontinuing their Java Plugin so the few websites that still uses the Java Plugin will have to change. https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

I never paid much attention to those quirks as I have only used, and will probably continue to use only Firefox 32 bit version. I really do not see a need for the 64 bit Firefox. It is more a matter of how much RAM your computer has and CPU / Internet speed that determine how well Firefox works. Right now I am on a Toshiba Laptop with WIndows 10 Home 64 Bit and only 4GB of RAM .. It also only has a Celeron B830 at 1.8Ghz and runs quite well, even with several tabs open. And I do not mind the eventual elimination of Java or Flash ... I just hope the Game sites and some Financial sites that use Java will recode them to work without the plug ins.
Omy

Post by Omy »

Thank y'all for the information. Based all the info I have removed the 64-bit and gone back to 32. All seems to be working fine now.
Omy

Post by Omy »

85rx-7se wrote:I never paid much attention to those quirks as I have only used, and will probably continue to use only Firefox 32 bit version. I really do not see a need for the 64 bit Firefox. It is more a matter of how much RAM your computer has and CPU / Internet speed that determine how well Firefox works. Right now I am on a Toshiba Laptop with WIndows 10 Home 64 Bit and only 4GB of RAM .. It also only has a Celeron B830 at 1.8Ghz and runs quite well, even with several tabs open. And I do not mind the eventual elimination of Java or Flash ... I just hope the Game sites and some Financial sites that use Java will recode them to work without the plug ins.
Yes, I went back to 32-bit. Thanks.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

It seems Mozilla is not ready for 64 bit computing yet.
therube

Post by therube »

It seems Mozilla is not ready for 64 bit computing yet.
Explain?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Read the posts before mine (@therube).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

But the issues have more to do with the paucity of 64bit plug-ins than with any issues with the Firefox application itself.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't work. Period. Not ready for prime time.
therube

Post by therube »

Read the posts before mine (@therube).
I didn't see any prior posts by you?
Fact of the matter is, it doesn't work.
Just what doesn't work?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@DN123ABC- Firefox has worked fine for me since 2005 and as 64bit since 2013.
64bit is for 64bit systems with 64bit hardware and 64bit Operating systems.
As a great many Windows based systems are still on a 32bit level, as I understand it, there was a delay partly to accommodate that fact. There is also the proprietary nature of Microsoft which causes many more structuring problems than with open source Linux platforms.
Imperious statements like yours have no constructive or solutions based value.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

I was referring to the fact that both users "85rx-7se" and "Omy" had to go back to 32 bit versions in order to do what they need to get done.
85rx-7se

Post by 85rx-7se »

I did not "go back" to 32 bit Firefox .. I have always been on it and will probably stay on that version as it does everything I need it to do and with enough RAM, a good CPU and decent ISP Speed, it is relatively fast.
James

Post by James »

DN123ABC wrote:Fact of the matter is, it doesn't work. Period. Not ready for prime time.
You still have not said clearly what you mean.

Win64 Firefox has existed for Release since Firefox 42.0 (Nov 3, 2015) and Win64 went through the development channels in the years before and 64-bit Firefox has existed for Mac OSX and Linux since Firefox 4.0 so 64-bit Firefox is not new.

When Win64 Firefox 42.0 came out only the 64-bit Flash Player was allowed to run in Firefox initially. Then for Firefox 43.0 the 64-bit Silverlight Plugin was allowed also. Not allowing the Java Plugin (which is separate from JavaScript in Firefox) does not say Win64 Firefox is not ready for prime time.

You might as well be saying Firefox 52.0 and later Releases are not ready for prime time now simply because they only allow the Flash Player Plugin to run whether on Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux. btw Chrome/Chromium/Opera has not allowed any NPAPI Plugins to run since fall of 2015.