IMAP Issues with Thunderbird and Outlook.com?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
leishirsute

Re: IMAP Issues with Thunderbird and Outlook.com?

Post by leishirsute »

smtp.office365.com
outlook.office365.com
appears to work for Seamonkey email as well.

Great detective work!

Thanks.
ashiem1

Post by ashiem1 »

Started using TB as an alternative to Outlook due to the fact that I couldn't get it to work with my Hotmail account. How ironic that Microsoft builds both of these, nothing but sync errors. Nevertheless, have been satisfied with TB but a few weeks ago have been troubled with both opening and sending emails. I did see on the forum a setting to uncheck if I didn't need emails downloaded to my computer, hope this helps with retrieving ... Sending has been a big issue, have regular "Timed Out" notifications. Read a post that suggested I create an alias using outlook.com. As soon as I did my emails download, then the next retrieval got the timed out notification again. There has to be a solution out there for this? :cry:
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The solution to the problems with Hotmail/Outlook has already been posted here.
sfhowes wrote:Changing the incoming server here to outlook.office365.com results in instant synchronization. Changing the outgoing to smtp.office365.com also works.

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 7113525f6c
gugarci

Post by gugarci »

I came across this thread about 1 week ago. Been having horrible email performance with my outlook.com email accounts for over 2 months!
I was already using the current outlook.com settings posted in the link below.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Hotmail

The only thing that was able to fix my problem was switching my IMAP & SMTP to outlook.com.office365.com
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 7113525f6c
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

I came across this issue as well.

You can also use:
imap.outlook.com
smtp.outlook.com
ashiem1

Post by ashiem1 »

Big help and THANKS gugarci & DanRaisch.... Changed settings and for the remainder of the day have not had any issues. I've been living with the problem for months, searching the web and coming up short. Thanks again!!!
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Omega X wrote:I came across this issue as well.

You can also use:
imap.outlook.com
smtp.outlook.com
AIUI, those are the values that have been causing problems for users
gugarci

Post by gugarci »

ashiem1 wrote:Big help and THANKS gugarci & DanRaisch.... Changed settings and for the remainder of the day have not had any issues. I've been living with the problem for months, searching the web and coming up short. Thanks again!!!
I changed my settings to office 365 this past Tuesday & I have not experience any other issues. The outlook.com IMAP & SMTP settings which I was using in the past worked till about 2 months ago.
mikeataol

Post by mikeataol »

fabrice.regnier wrote:
fabrice.regnier wrote:Same for me. For few days, 157.56.254.178 (M$ mail server) doesn't want me to connect with thunderbird client.
Sorry for the noise. Instead of the IP, i used the FQDN (outlook.office365.com) and then everything goes ok.
OMG. Thank you!

I've been fighting poor Hotmail syncing for weeks and this solution worked straight off.
Should be highlighted somewhere
Just wanted to give a big thank you. =D>
Omega X

Post by Omega X »

wsmwk wrote:
Omega X wrote:I came across this issue as well.

You can also use:
imap.outlook.com
smtp.outlook.com
AIUI, those are the values that have been causing problems for users
From what I researched, no. Not at all. The addresses you are referring to are imap-mail.outlook.com/smtp-mail.outlook.com. They look similar, but are not the same.

I've tested the addresses I listed above for days now without an issue. They are legit and working well.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

Well, my Hotmail/Thunderbird connection problems seem to be happening again. For a few months, I have been successfully using the new server settings as per prior posts here: (smtp.office365.com & outlook.office365.com).

But past few days have been experiencing great difficulty trying to check Hotmail. If I utilize browser, then I can get right into Hotmail with no problem. So the issue only occurs when using Thunderbird.

Does anyone have alternate server settings?? Perhaps Microsoft changed something AGAIN??? :?

Thanks very much....................
gugarci

Post by gugarci »

Add me to this issue again. My Thunderbird problem went away about 2 months ago when I changed all my outlook.com email accounts to the Office 365 servers. But as of today I can't access my primary email account while my other outlook.com are working well using Thunderbird. And I can access that account with no problem through my browser. Also changing the server setting back to what MS suggest for IMAP didn't fix the issue accessing this account through Thunderbird.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

imap-mail.outlook.com continues to work for me. Sometimes the problem is not the server settings but what host it gets mapped to (based on where you are).
gugarci

Post by gugarci »

tanstaafl wrote:imap-mail.outlook.com continues to work for me. Sometimes the problem is not the server settings but what host it gets mapped to (based on where you are).
Thanks for the reply. I tried imap-mail.outlook.com again with no success. I had no issues yesterday during the day but woke up today with this issue.
Mojo88

Post by Mojo88 »

tanstaafl wrote:imap-mail.outlook.com .....
Tried this... no joy... hopefully someone has answer. Likely just a settings change somewhere.

Perhaps something in Thunderbird has changed????????? :?