NPAPI plugins and other things

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
toolong

NPAPI plugins and other things

Post by toolong »

First I do not want a flame war. But I am curious.

I see some people that say that they need the Silverlight plugin. Yet I can not think of, do not know of, a site that uses it. And I do not recall anyone actually posting a link to 'this mystery site'.?? I have never had this plugin installed myself. Ever.

I see others insisting that they need the Java plugin for 'some mystery site' but once again I can not think of any site, not one, that requires it. A default install of the Java.exe does not enable the java browser plugin. And Oracle is working on dumping it.

Could someone clear this up? Or am I seeing 'well we always did it that way' stuff.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: NPAPI plugins and other things

Post by malliz »

Valid question :) Just as a swag need for these plugins would most probably be legacy software in universities and various industries. Been a long time since I even installed JAVA on any of my home pc's and I don't think I ever installed Silverlight.
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

The Tinsmith wrote:I see others insisting that they need the Java plugin for 'some mystery site' but once again I can not think of any site, not one, that requires it. A default install of the Java.exe does not enable the java browser plugin. And Oracle is working on dumping it.
I still need the Java plugin for old Java games that don't work in appletviewer. The games were free downloads, so I just play them locally, it's not really a "site". Looks like most of the sites in question no longer exist, but this one is still going - http://www.javafile.com/

And also like malliz said, some people need specific old version of the Java plugin for legacy corporate software.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Thanks to you both.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome. :)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

Netflix used to require Silverlight. I think they added support for HTML5 sometime in 2013. I'm not aware of any other popular/high traffic web sites that used it. Supposedly 0.1% of web sites currently use it.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

I need Silverlight for Microsoft's SharePoint, and other older site. As already said they are Legacy programs, so nothing new I think needs it.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Microsoft's SharePoint
Now there is 'one' I have never heard of.

But I find it odd that a Microsoft site still requires a plugin that they dropped years ago in 2012

So is this a 'company thing' with not up-to-date software or Windows versions or a "Microsoft thing'?
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

The Tinsmith wrote:
Microsoft's SharePoint
Now there is 'one' I have never heard of.

But I find it odd that a Microsoft site still requires a plugin that they dropped years ago in 2012

So is this a 'company thing' with not up-to-date software or Windows versions or a "Microsoft thing'?
It's a company thing. We just moved to SharePoint 2016, so getting off the old 2013 SharePoint site that still needs Silverlight will take a bit of time.
Do, or do not. There is no try.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

SharePoint....+1
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
toolong

Post by toolong »

It's a company thing. We just moved to SharePoint 2016, so getting off the old 2013 SharePoint site that still needs Silverlight will take a bit of time.
Ah. So you do have a solution. That is good. But you (your company) has seen that the latest Firefox ESR will, if I read it correctly, still support Silverlight for almost one more year?

However your company should not wait that long. :-)

Company.s can do strange things. While in undergrad school I drove a delivery truck and the company would not repair or maintain it. I would think that they paid enough money having it towed to the shop for repairs to buy a new one.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Outlook Web Access utilizes Silverlight for file attachment dialogs, but it's not necessary. You can still use a default browser upload dialog box with Silverlight installed
:)
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)