tables fail on copy and paste

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
tinydisk28

tables fail on copy and paste

Post by tinydisk28 »

I have 2 thunderbirds
1_Desktop has thunderbird version 45.8.0 and runs windows 8
2_Laptop has thunderbird version 45.8.0 and runs windows 8

When I copy and paste a letter with a table in it on my desktop it works perfectly
But when I do this on the laptop it loses all formatting (table is gone words in bold shown as normal etc)

See video clip of it work on desktop https://www.screencast.com/t/qUXLaGaNx
See video clip of failing on laptop https://www.screencast.com/t/A2O4Lm1gfxP

Any help appreciates as I have no idea of how to fix this
DanRaisch

Re: tables fail on copy and paste

Post by DanRaisch »

Make sure that on the laptop Thunderbird is set to default message composition format as HTML for that account. Use menu path Tools->Account Settings->Composition & Addressing->Compose messages in HTML format.
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

DanRaisch wrote:Make sure that on the laptop Thunderbird is set to default message composition format as HTML for that account. Use menu path Tools->Account Settings->Composition & Addressing->Compose messages in HTML format.
Hi DanRaisch

just checked and it is already set to HTML in Composition & Addressing

Regards

Andrew
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

Hi All

Can anyone help with this, please... I am stuck :(

Regards

Andrew
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

Can anyone help with this, please

Regards

Andrew
morat

Post by morat »

What is the copy application and version on the desktop and laptop?

Some word processors aren't compatible with Thunderbird.

Try pasting the selection into another word processor, copy again and finally paste into Thunderbird.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

I use Lightscreen, which makes a jpg file of the table, then I embed it inline. If you expect the recipient to make changes in the table, then ignore me.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

Hi Morat and Lovemyfox

Just seen your suggestions I will try those today and the feedback to you
Many thanks
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

hi i am trying to uninstall thunderbird and reinstall it in the hope this will help my problem

step one uninstall the program = fine done via control panel no problem.
down load and reinstall new = problem is it just reloads as it was before. in fact not a new installation. i am not asked to enter anything. it loads fully up with all 3 account and all the emails immeadtiatly with the same settings... weird

I am hoping that a real reinstallation will pick up the browser google chrome ( at present its not a selection choice under general)
I want this as its the only difference between the desktop and laptop version of the thunderbird and its my last hope of a fix

BTW
Morat thanks it did not help the laptop thunderbird. but using google docs (i was using word 2016) makes a better-looking email for the desk top
lovemyfoxy it did not help as the text is so poorly formatted (no font, poor spacing, no bolding) that a jpg table on its own does not bring the email up to basic business standard

Many thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

it loads fully up with all 3 account and all the emails immeadtiatly with the same settings... weird
The profile folder, which contains previously downloaded messages, account settings, passwords, etc, is located in a different directory from the location of the program itself. Uninstalling the program does not remove the profile so installing a new copy of Thunderbird simply makes use of the existing profile data.
I am hoping that a real reinstallation will pick up the browser google chrome ( at present its not a selection choice under general)
Where are you looking when referring to "under general" in regard to selecting a browser?
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

Hi Dan

tools > options > general - default search engine is set to google

But on the laptop, this option is not there. It's the only difference I can see between the desktop and laptop thunderbirds
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That default search engine selection is not the same as selecting a browser. It only controls what web site the default search engine will go to when a search is performed. The default browser is determined by the operating system. You might try changing that to be sure that matches on the two machines.
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

hi dan, I have already changed it on the operating system but its still is not available on thunderbird
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Again, that setting does not refer to your browser of choice. It's not intended to reflect the browsers available on the computer, only to the .xml files found in the directory C:\Users\WinID\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\xxxxxxxxx.default\searchplugins in the Thunderbird profile. The odds that that has any bearing to the problem with copying and posting tables is somewhere between extremely slim and non-existent.
tinydisk28

Post by tinydisk28 »

Hi Dan

how can I reinstall a fresh installation of thunderbird on my laptop
without it just reusing the old existing info

that may help I hope ... if not I will have to use outlook which i do not like

many thanks