Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
toolong

Re: Which Browser for You After Firefox 57?

Post by toolong »

My situation is different from many, most, here. I don't use any themes. I only use three extensions and one for sure and the other two are a solid guess to live on. I might miss those two but that is an 'oh well' situation. Other than an occasional Flash video, fewer ever day, I don't need plugins.

WaltS43 mentioned Photon. I will have to look at that this weekend. Like Sqt Schultz "Nothing! I know nothing!" :-)
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

The Tinsmith wrote:I will have to look at that this weekend
It might now be worth it. As far as I understand, all you get is this:
:-"
Sorry for my poor English.
Peja Stija

Post by Peja Stija »

:mrgreen:
I'm officially switching tomorrow to ESR, my 7 year old laptop doesn't accept anything else than its measly 4GB, using multiprocess results in a crashfest, not even a single crashlog was created in the 100+ crashes during the last couple of weeks. :^o
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

I don’t see the benefit of learning a new browser at the moment. Whether I learn now or later, there is no difference. At this point it seems quite possible I’ll jump the Firefox ship, but it seemed that way before Asstralis too. As many have said, the way will become clearer when 57 is launched.

I would go to Safari first, as that is my alternate already. Google would be my absolute last choice, based on anti-trust principles, if nothing else.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

at the end of the day, some will stay with Firefox well after 57 is released as there to scared to use anything else that maybe better than what 57 will offer. , but it'll be interesting to see what the Marketshare of Firefox is after 57 is released
toolong

Post by toolong »

Which makes me wonder just how many will leave and search for 'something like I used to have with Firefox' only to find that what they had, here, does not exist elsewhere either.

IMHO? Those that have used CTR, for example, since Firefox 29 will have the most trouble trying to adjust. since they stuck to 'the old ways' and the rest of the world moved on.

Ya think? maybe?
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

Arch5 wrote:... it'll be interesting to see what the Marketshare of Firefox is after 57 is released
I don't see how it can do anything but fall, unless Google makes some drastic mistake around the same time. Most people aren't going to change to Firefox for a slight improvement in security and speed, so I don't see what Firefox is offering to offset the removal of customization. I don't think their share will drop below 8%, and I think it will begin to slowly rise again after 3 months or so.

Microsoft made it impossible to change the default browser in their new Windows 10 S OS. If that type trend continues, that will also eat into Mozilla's share.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Microsoft made it impossible to change the default browser in their new Windows 10 S OS. If that type trend continues, that will also eat into Mozilla's share.
Really? links to confirm this please?

And second.

Do you use this OS? If This really bothers you why do you use this OS?

If you do not use this OS why do you care?
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Mo_D wrote:
Arch5 wrote:... it'll be interesting to see what the Marketshare of Firefox is after 57 is released
I don't see how it can do anything but fall, unless Google makes some drastic mistake around the same time. Most people aren't going to change to Firefox for a slight improvement in security and speed, so I don't see what Firefox is offering to offset the removal of customization. I don't think their share will drop below 8%, and I think it will begin to slowly rise again after 3 months or so.

Well Mozilla is apparently attempting to focus on a set number of tabs per CPU core, so I suppose stability and security is what you get in trade for customization. For those that don't want add-ons to have full insecure access to the core browser infrastructure, I suppose that's potentially a good thing. Not my choice, but that's what the claim is.
:)

As for default browsers in Windows 10, can't you also set IE 11 to be default if you want? And as far as I know, several Windows 10 users use Chrome and Firefox.
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Naenara.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
BobbyPhoenix

Post by BobbyPhoenix »

The Tinsmith wrote:
Really? links to confirm this please?

And second.

Do you use this OS? If This really bothers you why do you use this OS?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/m ... with-edge/
Do, or do not. There is no try.
toolong

Post by toolong »

Hmm... I am still somewhat confused here . Microsoft Edge is a reasonably good browser and much better than this crappy Firefox that you wish to drop?
flaneurb

Post by flaneurb »

The Tinsmith wrote:
Hmmm... There are so many ways to counter that.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

JodyThornton wrote: As for default browsers in Windows 10, can't you also set IE 11 to be default if you want? And as far as I know, several Windows 10 users use Chrome and Firefox.
See the link BobbyPhoenix posted - it's a specific version of Windows 10.
JodyThornton

Post by JodyThornton »

Oh that. Good news is he can upgrade in time to Windows 10 Pro. But yes, he the the 'chromebook" of Microsoft ...lol
Cheers,
Jody Thornton
(Richmond Hill, Ontario)