SeaMonkey Kicks Out Password

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
troothteller

SeaMonkey Kicks Out Password

Post by troothteller »

Running SeaMonkey version 2.46 on Windows 7 64-Bit with Comcast as my ISP, SeaMonkey for a period after login eventually kicks out my password, displaying messages like "password failure" and asking me to key it in again. Comcast, sure that the problem is not at their end, recommended that I reinstall SeaMonkey, which would require me to backup my current installation. I would not want to loose messages in order to fix this.
DanRaisch

Re: SeaMonkey Kicks Out Password

Post by DanRaisch »

I would not want to loose messages in order to fix this.
...and you wouldn't lose anything by reinstalling SeaMonkey. Previously received messages, account settings, passwords, etc, are stored in a different directory location than the program files proper and would not be deleted by reinstalling. Conversely, reinstalling is unlikely to resolve your problem with the passwords.

Try deleting the currently stored password according to the information on this page ( http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/mozil ... ssword.php ) and then reenter the same password when it is requested for log in.

Moving to SeaMonkey Support.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I am on a public library computer now. At home I have to finish my weekly maintenance by booting into Safe Mode, deleting temporary files and power cycling my wireless network. Then I will follow your advice. Thanks for your reply. Now that I am home, I do not see an applicable password that I can change. While next checking under Master Passwords it does not show that I set anything.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

This password problem recurred a few times; but I always fixed it by shutting down SeaMonkey. It is the password I setup with the ISP, Comcast. Lately it has not recurred; but since about 9 PM yesterday, I have not been able to send messages although I can receive them from other senders. From Comcast's own site I could not send from the same accounts. However, I can send from a web mail account neither under Comcast nor synced with SeaMonkey. I do not know if any of this relates to this password issue; but earlier I should have mentioned the error message that these unsent emails receive as of yesterday, "The size of the message you are trying to send exceeds a temporary size limit of the server. The message was not sent; try to reduce the message size or wait some time and try again. The server responded: 4.1.1 ... temporary failure." I have two Comcast accounts synced with SeaMonkey which I tested successfully, that is, sending to myself to each account. Then, I decided to replicate those two unsent messages, that is, bring up new boxes, copy the content and send. The new messages not only did not send but also generated the same error messages.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Since you can send messages through those accounts but just not those particular messages, it sounds like you have run into a limit on the size of outgoing message which is imposed by Comcast. Are there attachments included in those messages? If so, what is the size of the attachment(s)?
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

The attachments were not in the bodies of these messages. Only one message had an attachment of 9.2 KB. The other message was just a salutation, my first name and "Thank you." However, having run my security programs, removed my temporary files and power cycled my network, I have restarted my computer upon reconnecting my network hardware. Now that I reopened SeaMonkey I have sent the two messages from my Drafts folder that I could not send previously. Maybe the restart of the system fixed everything; but Comcast makes email unavailable when it updates its servers. I do not know what is happening here yet. Thank you for your availability.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

As long as I have this thread going, I have to ask about what surfaced as a recent bug. When one forwards a message that arrives with attachments, should the forwarded messages include the attachments according to how SeaMonkey is supposed to work? Lately, in the midst of the problems that caused me to start this thread, I noticed that I had to save the attachments separately and attach them separately after hitting Forward.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's not the standard functionality. I just tested this by sending a message from Thunderbird to the account I have set up in SeaMonkey Portable 2.46. Forwarding the received message (which contained an attached photo) from SeaMonkey results in that attachment being included in the outgoing message.

Have you tried reinstalling yet? If not, try running SeaMonkey in Mozilla Safe Mode before trying to reinstall -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

I just tried your test, sending to myself, at the same email address and at a different one. When you first bring up the box after hitting Forward, the attachment does not appear. Some file appears with the extension .eml. However, upon arrival, the attachment appears with each copy of the forwarded message. Upon opening them, the copies each have the attachment. Is this the way SeaMonkey is supposed to work? I would rather see the attachment in the message before actually forwarding it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That depends on what type of file the attachment is and how it was added to the original message. In my test it was a photo which, when sent from Thunderbird, was shown in the composition window as a file attachment. In SeaMonkey, it displayed as a photo in the message body but when forwarding, it showed again as a file attachment, appearing as a file name at the right side of the address entry block in the message being composed.

I'll try to test with attached text messages (.eml files) a bit later.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

My attachment was an Excel document, extension .xlsx and my extensions do not ever appear in the message body.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, a spreadsheet would not appear in the message body. But what was the reference you made above to .eml files?

Edit: I tested again, this time sending an Excel (.xlsx) spreadsheet and again it was sent without issues, showing the attached file in the Sent folder and arriving in Thunderbird with that same file attachment.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

With the .xlsx attachment, hitting Forward only brings up the message showing the .eml file as the attachment, not the .xlsx. If it is sending the .xlsx attachment, then I would have liked to see it attached first.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Where are you seeing that .eml reference? At the right side of the address entry field in the message being composed? If that's the case it may mean that there is a problem with the way the attachment is identified in the message that you received in the first place.
troothteller

Post by troothteller »

Take a message with an attachment, either from the Inbox or the Sent folder, and hit Forward. The .eml file will appear to the right of the information lines, where I would look for the main attachment I would want to send.