Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
GHM113

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by GHM113 »

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1357486#c1
Marking as quantum flow p1 because this is about the ability to run webextensions in a seperate process.
:-"
Sorry for my poor English.
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

GHM113 wrote:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1357486#c1
Marking as quantum flow p1 because this is about the ability to run webextensions in a seperate process.
:-"
This will be interesting to see.

Smaller parent process = faster garbage collection = faster browsing the UI hopefully :)
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

TreeStyleTab WebExtension replacement is here:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... tree-tabs/
I've already found two bugs and reported them here: https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/15332/t ... /50?page=3
This addon has great potential :-"
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

I think everyone knows that uMatrix for Chrome can't block some things that uMatrix for Firefox can block: more precisely, javascript cannot be disabled for data URIs:
In Chromium-based browsers, loading a data URI in the address bar doesn't result in HTTP headers being received through a chrome.webRequest.onHeadersReceived event handler, therefore no Content-Security-Policy "script-src 'none'" header can be injected, thus inline javascript cannot be disabled for data URIs
I asked Raymond Hill if uMatrix WebExtension for Nightly suffers from the same problem. Try to guess what he said :lol:
I just checked and the uMatrix/webext-hybrid version is really not doing well, the browser tried to connect to the remote servers above. The legacy version worked as expected. Clearly the webext API still has kinks which need to be fixed.
Moziiiiillllaaaaa [-X :lol: ](*,) :-"
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Stop the crap its getting old
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

GHM113 wrote:I think everyone knows that uMatrix for Chrome can't block some things that uMatrix for Firefox can block: more precisely, javascript cannot be disabled for data URIs:
In Chromium-based browsers, loading a data URI in the address bar doesn't result in HTTP headers being received through a chrome.webRequest.onHeadersReceived event handler, therefore no Content-Security-Policy "script-src 'none'" header can be injected, thus inline javascript cannot be disabled for data URIs
I asked Raymond Hill if uMatrix WebExtension for Nightly suffers from the same problem. Try to guess what he said :lol:
I just checked and the uMatrix/webext-hybrid version is really not doing well, the browser tried to connect to the remote servers above. The legacy version worked as expected. Clearly the webext API still has kinks which need to be fixed.
Moziiiiillllaaaaa [-X :lol: ](*,) :-"
we been saying this all along, web extensions will be limited to what they can do
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

https://forum.vivaldi.net/topic/15332/tree-tabs/66
There is no "simply" adding features at this point, it would mean a rewrite of half of the code. Might not be a bad idea, but getting to the point with what I've learned from my first vertical tabs extension which took me almost 2 years, this time it was only 3 months of hard work often till 4am, so maybe next fork may take less. Few months of allnighters and it can be done. Just kidding or maybe not
So it takes 3 months of allnighters in order to develop Tree Style Tab replacement for WebExtensions using Sidebar API? I guess hypothetical Tab Mix Plus WebExtension will also require 3+ months of work since dev will have to re-implement the tab bar from scratch using toolbar API, right?
malliz wrote:Stop the crap its getting old
OK, no problem :-"
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

It's time to post something good about WebExtensions :-"
https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... a/dh4uwwk/
This needs the toolbar API to be implemented. According to a dev on IRC, bug 1342708 is a pre-requisite for that API to be implemented. Since bug 1342708 is currently being implemented, I suspect it shouldn't take much time before the toolbar API gets implemented.
Fingers crossed #-o
dbcooper.dk

Post by dbcooper.dk »

Anyone know if it's possible to allow closing tabs by double clicking on them, without XUL?
Grantius

Post by Grantius »

dbcooper.dk wrote:Anyone know if it's possible to allow closing tabs by double clicking on them, without XUL?
You can middle-click on a tab to close it?
Micro gaming box: AMD A10-7800 APU, 8gb RAM M350 ITX case (size of a book), Windows 10/Ubuntu
Tablet/Laptop: Asus Transformer T100, Intel Atom 2GB RAM, Windows 10 x86
Mobile:Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The future of where SeaMonkey will go after 57 is getting clearer now (for a while anyway) - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3030156 ...possibly.

I always figured people were looking at this stuff wrong, i.e. 'what browser will be using Gecko after 57?' Point is, with WebExtensions only changing/hitting Content, then they are as much use to an EMail client as a one-legged man in an arse kicking contest. So, as the majority of T/Bird's 1,300+ existing extensions are, as you'd expect with EMail, enhancing UI (Chrome) functionality, then I figured they might stick with Gecko for a good while.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if all goes well, then SM can just hang onto that tail and carry on as before. Possibly.

Certainly would make more sense than that odd idea some clowns were touting, which amounted to - 'SM cannot possibly fork Gecko with its limited resources, therefore it should team up with some one man band outfit who has great plans but, er, even more limited resources, who are going to...or say they are going to..or something'

That always seemed like flawed logic to me.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

@ Frank Lion - Thank you very much for this information! =D>
Good, very good, that there will be some active real "lifeboat",
instead of using sandboxed old Firefox version or spending so much time for looking for properly working fork.
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Word up, read this stuff - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14747631

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... n/reviews/

There's some real unpleasant stuff there and I didn't see that one coming. I mean, we all realised that a good few users were going to be less than pleased to find that their favourite UI changing extensions had vanished after 57.

But did you realise that they would be going totally ballistic over the pain points of someone who was actually converting their stuff to WebExtensions. He has spent ages on it (as you would do) and the version is less than perfect, not broken, not wrecked, just less than perfect. It would be, it took a while to learn the original stuff, so there's bound to be a learning curve with this and how is it that guy's fault if the statusbar/addonbar IDs are gone anyway?

You could argue that the dev is handling it wrong, but he's probably made the mistake of being a nice guy and trying to please people. Appeasing, in this world, just makes them put the boot in even harder. Not a mistake I tend to make.

As I think you can imagine, I would handle those ungrateful sons of bitches somewhat differently if they ever tried that stuff with me. :P Luckily for me (and them) I've always only had really nice users using my stuff - true.

Seriously, a lot of extension devs are going to be reading all that....and thinking.

Interesting times, eh? Used to be a time when you could escape the loonies of the virtual world by going back into the real world - or vice versa. Now, damn loonies are everywhere!
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
JOJ0

Post by JOJ0 »

True and wise words Frank...
toolong

Post by toolong »

I really liked the post by the guy that is too important and too busy to deal with this. So he spent more time complaining than it would have taken to fix it.