userChrome.css after XUL dies

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
Frank Lion

Re: userChrome.css after XUL dies

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote:Let me think of how to structure it and what to call it. Also the thread you listed is this one (little confused). You are correct there may be others who are dreading the arrival of FF57.
Well, I suppose that now the thread seems to have drifted in this direction, then maybe it makes sense for it to be here.

Normally, I don't care for 'browser pimping'. I think it's disrespectful in Firefox Support to answer every question with 'Hey, have you thought of trying...?'. No, it's just plain wrong and I know Patrick D. feels the same. When in Firefox Support/General/Builds we only ever discuss Firefox.

But, now, I suppose you're right, there are real concerns and maybe it is time to 'reveal' more of the SM project here in General. As you've seen, it is a well advanced project.
RobertJ wrote:I have also managed to place some of my tweaks in the userChrome.css file once identifying the proper "id".

Yep, we also have SM specific stuff pretty well covered - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p13837079.

As both Ed and I have mentioned, people will need Pat's Sea Fox extension, which rectifies odd omissions and you end up in total with something that, I think, is better than Firefox is or was.

....perhaps, I should point out just one thing. The SeaMonkey project has never been about having a huge userbase, just a very good browser and email client. Point is, probably best for people to not bound around there like Mariah Carey demanding 'can't live without' extensions and 'dealbreakers' as those guys really don't care and will just tell you to use Firefox. Forum-wise, it's like living in a quiet village, where everything just seems to work. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Give me a few days to think/decide if I want to prune and rename/redo this thread. Am now using SM as my primary and want to get a few more days in.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Custom Buttons doesn't always get signed because it's not on AMO. Someone has updated their extension and worked around the signing problem:
http://custombuttons.sourceforge.net/fo ... 965e37d305
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote:Give me a few days to think/decide if I want to prune and rename/redo this thread. Am now using SM as my primary and want to get a few more days in.
Sounds good, not like there's a rush as FF doesn't whack XUL until November. We weren't planning on doing on this, if anything at all, until the summer anyway.

As always, nearer the time, there's bound to be loads of threads on this stuff but I'm only going to contribute to one, as it gets pretty repetitive. So, if you set it up right, I'll run with this one.

Btw check out the Email side - it took me over 4 months using SM browser before I did, as I thought I was sorted on that side.

But, it grows on you - no RAM penalty and notifier on the browser statusbar. If you're into Email in a big way then T/Bird is more featured, but this suits me fine.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

[quote="Frank Lion"/viewtopic.php?p=13837079#p13837079.
....perhaps, I should point out just one thing. The SeaMonkey project has never been about having a huge userbase, just a very good browser and email client. Point is, probably best for people to not bound around there like Mariah Carey demanding 'can't live without' extensions and 'dealbreakers' as those guys really don't care and will just tell you to use Firefox. Forum-wise, it's like living in a quiet village, where everything just seems to work. :)[/quote]

I like the sound of it already. :D
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

barbaz wrote:Try spoofing your user agent string -
about:config
right-click > new > string
name:

Code: Select all

general.useragent.override
@RobertJ: I suggested "general.useragent.override" instead of "general.useragent.override.mybank.com" because of this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3021425
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

barbaz wrote: @RobertJ: I suggested "general.useragent.override" instead of "general.useragent.override.mybank.com" because of this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3021425
Thanks. For now the two specific overrides I have are working fine. I will keep that issue in mind. I have created a new thread to try and gather everying in one place LOL. It is here http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3027638

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Frank Lion wrote:Mozilla have been silent on this, but I reckon/know it's going, just because of where that stuff 'hits'.

userContent.css will still exist though - things like Otter, Qupzilla, etc have 'style.csss' that work as userContent.css does in Firefox.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332529#c14

So yeah, looks like userChrome.css will be going.

Bug pointed out to me by PadaV4.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

Bit of an update
Jorge Villalobos wrote: on March 17, 2017 at 9:53 am:

As long as it is supported, you can add any CSS like before. You just won’t be able to do it from an add-on.
Jorge is the Product Manager for addons.mozilla.org

The entire The Road to Firefox 57 – Compatibility Milestones blog is here.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote:.
Bit of an update

As long as it is supported, you can add any CSS like before. You just won’t be able to do it from an add-on.
Well, I hope that's right.

Trouble is, that update is almost 2 months old and with all due respect to Jorge, Jorge ain't Benjamin Smedberg who wrote this 2 months back (see the last bit) in relation to a Chrome.js idea - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332529#c14 and history shows that when it comes to BS and Mozilla, then BS wins out every time. I referring to Benjamin Smedberg there, obviously.

Seriously, let's hope I'm totally wrong on this, but people do need to realise that WebExtensions is only 50% of what is going on. The other 50% is a policy decision to put the entire UI (Chrome, as opposed to Content) under Mozilla's sole control.

It is that last part that is the really relevant bit here.
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

I read that but not familiar with the Moz pecking order. In the meantime sticking with SM until/if it derails and monitoring FF.

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RobertJ wrote:I read that but not familiar with the Moz pecking order.
Think of it like a TV Hospital soap opera - you have the friendly, chatty doctors gathered around the patient's bed, telling them it'll all be fine. Standing back a bit, there's a huddle of more serious looking doctors, not saying much.

Well, BS is none of those - he's the figure dressed as the Grim Reaper who slips silently into the room. :P
Virtual_ManPL

Post by Virtual_ManPL »

RobertJ wrote:.
Bit of an update

The entire The Road to Firefox 57 – Compatibility Milestones blog is here.
If someone want to see that Jorge Villalobos replay, I attached detailed source in my post
Virtual_ManPL wrote here:

For now, there are no plans to remove userChrome.css and userContent.css, but who knows what Mozilla will want in the future... [-o<
source: The Road to Firefox 57 – Compatibility Milestones

There was also old topic about this here - userChrome.css after XUL dies

@ Frank Lion - Let's hope that Benjamin Smedberg already forgot that [-o<
Virtualfox persona
Tired of constant Firefox UI changes? XUL extensions are not working anymore? Try SeaMonkey, Waterfox Classic, Pale Moon.
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

Frank Lion wrote: Well, I hope that's right.

Trouble is, that update is almost 2 months old and with all due respect to Jorge, Jorge ain't Benjamin Smedberg who wrote this 2 months back (see the last bit) in relation to a Chrome.js idea - https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=332529#c14 and history shows that when it comes to BS and Mozilla, then BS wins out every time. I referring to Benjamin Smedberg there, obviously.

Seriously, let's hope I'm totally wrong on this, but people do need to realise that WebExtensions is only 50% of what is going on. The other 50% is a policy decision to put the entire UI (Chrome, as opposed to Content) under Mozilla's sole control.

It is that last part that is the really relevant bit here.
And the same Benjamin Smedberg who has been "threatening" to remove the Profile Manager (or Profiles altogether) since [like] 2005.

Yet Mozilla did nothing for years; then someone created the XUL Runner Profile Manager application in [what] 2010 (altough that project was never was completed) and then Mozilla added a pseudo PM to Aurora in 2014, or thereabouts. B.S. makes a bit of noise from time to time over at Bugzilla, but IMO - sometimes it turns out to be nothing firm - like diarrhea.

Overall, my thoughts are that the trio of user files will be around come Firefox 57 and beyond, but the CSS code will be vastly different with the demise of XUL. It will be a new game and we'll be spending some time retrieving the new code from the Page Inspector in Firefox Developer Tools.
A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

the-edmeister wrote:And the same Benjamin Smedberg who has been "threatening" to remove the Profile Manager (or Profiles altogether) since [like] 2005.

Yet Mozilla did nothing for years; then someone created the XUL Runner Profile Manager application in [what] 2010 (altough that project was never was completed) and then Mozilla added a pseudo PM to Aurora in 2014, or thereabouts. B.S. makes a bit of noise from time to time over at Bugzilla, but IMO - sometimes it turns out to be nothing firm - like diarrhea.

Overall, my thoughts are that the trio of user files will be around come Firefox 57 and beyond, but the CSS code will be vastly different with the demise of XUL. It will be a new game and we'll be spending some time retrieving the new code from the Page Inspector in Firefox Developer Tools.
Sorry Ed, I didn't realise you wanted to take this subject so seriously. OK, serious face on, lets turn over the next card because, as you know, I always look at multiple sources/evidence when coming to conclusions on anything -

The Stylish extension for Firefox - historically, an easy way for users to add and manage both userChrome.css and userContent.css styles to change the appearance/functionality of their UI and of websites. OK?

The Stylish extension for Chrome - same extension, same people - lets users add and manage only userContent.css styles to change the appearance/functionality only of websites.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cffe?hl=en
Customize any website to your color scheme in 1 click, thousands of user styles with beautiful themes, skins & free backgrounds.
There is also no userChrome.css file in Google Chrome.

Now, as we know that Firefox has relentlessly and repeatedly copied the Google Chrome model for the last 6+ years, then the questions that people should be asking regarding Google Chrome are -

#1. Does Chrome's UI contain no .css at all?
#2. Is the Chrome UI so perfect that not one user has ever wanted to change any of it?
#3. Is something else going on?

Take your answer, apply to Firefox and you're done.

Not as easy as going to a blog, reading and believing the usual 'Currently, there are no plans to change....' stuff, but that's how it works.