Thunderbird not getting emails when sleep/off

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
chloe.ikt

Thunderbird not getting emails when sleep/off

Post by chloe.ikt »

Hi I recently set up my account with Thunderbird with POP server.
It works fine when I am online (sending & receiving) but seems it does not receive any emails when the computer is sleep/off (when I turn on the computer next morning, all the emails I got during overnight - it doesn't fetch).
I also noticed there's a little lock sign on inbox that I didn't have before -
Any ideas how to fix this issues?
DanRaisch

Re: Thunderbird not getting emails when sleep/off

Post by DanRaisch »

To dispose of the "lock" icon first, that simply means that Thunderbird is making a secure connection to the server of that account, nothing more.

Under menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings, do you have "Check for new messages at startup" and "Automatically download new messages" selected (checked)>
You refer to the computer being "sleep/off". Which is it, is the computer shut off or is it set into "Sleep" mode?
chloe.ikt

Post by chloe.ikt »

Dan, when the computer is set into "sleep" and also "off"
I tested it on my computer and laptop and both not get emails when not in use.
And both "check for new messages at startup" and "Automatically download new messages" selected but still not working.
Thanks for your reply!
mtalbot

Post by mtalbot »

When your computer is "off" it will not do anything (including fetching new email) just like when a light is turned off it will not produce light.

When your computer is in "sleep" mode it is very common for the network card to be turned off by the operating system to save power (especially if you're using a laptop).

I'm not suer what you mean when you say"it doesn't fetch" the emails received overnight but if you press the "Get Messages" button Thunderbird should connect and download all of the new emails.
chloe.ikt

Post by chloe.ikt »

mtalbot wrote:When your computer is "off" it will not do anything (including fetching new email) just like when a light is turned off it will not produce light.

When your computer is in "sleep" mode it is very common for the network card to be turned off by the operating system to save power (especially if you're using a laptop).

I'm not suer what you mean when you say"it doesn't fetch" the emails received overnight but if you press the "Get Messages" button Thunderbird should connect and download all of the new emails.

well it does not get new emails even when I press "Get Messages"
so basically I don't get ANY emails came in during the computer is off/sleep.....
Thanks for your reply
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you clicking on that "Get Messages" button immediately after the computer starts up or returns from sleep? It may take some time for the network card to provide access to the Internet after the system comes back up.
chloe.ikt

Post by chloe.ikt »

DanRaisch wrote:Are you clicking on that "Get Messages" button immediately after the computer starts up or returns from sleep? It may take some time for the network card to provide access to the Internet after the system comes back up.
the problem is I never get those messages no matter how long I wait..
syldub

Post by syldub »

I have the exact same issue.
I'm using Thunderbird 60.3.1 on Windows 10.
When I wake up my computer from sleep mode, Thunderbird cannot retrieve the new messages.
It displays an infinite looping icon (see the following screenshot) :

The only way I found to get new messages is to quit Thunderbird and restart it.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"When I wake up my computer from sleep mode, Thunderbird cannot retrieve the new messages."

Try hibernate rather than sleep. That was the workaround I used a long time ago when I had a PC with a buggy BIOS.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Can you try the beta, if only temporarily?
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/channel/
orealius

Post by orealius »

I'm having same problem. Try clicking 'get new mail'. See if that works rather than restarting TB.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

A related thread is http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... p=14817425 (problems resuming from sleep)