Screen flickering with ESR 52

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
zootopia3000

Screen flickering with ESR 52

Post by zootopia3000 »

Ever since I updated to Firefoc ESR 52 I have been having screen flickering issues within the browser window. Verified yesterday with Bing.com waterfall animation, screen would go nuts with the animation. I reverted back to Firefox 45 ESR and no problems whatsoever.

My PC is an Intel Core2 Duo 2.8GHz, Nvidia NVS 310 graphics with latest drivers, and 4GB RAM, on Windows 10. I have a similar PC with Windows 7 but with AMD graphics and have had similar flickering issues on rare occasion upon visiting some sites, but the Bing.com waterfall animation did not animate at all.

Anyone with similar PC can go to Bing.com and click the back arrow to get to yesterday's waterfall animation and check for themselves, it should either flicker or not animate at all.

As mentioned, Bing is not the only site that ends up causing screen flickering (as well as overall garbled graphics) in the browser window(s), I've had it happen upon visiting other sites as well on rare occasion that end up affecting all the browser tab windows, then had to restart browser to make it go away. Either fix it soon or I say bye bye to Firefox, which will be a shame after these many, many years, ths is a major bug. Google Chrome and Maxthon latest versions had no problem with the Bing.com animation, and Microsft Edge did just fine as well.

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Re: Screen flickering with ESR 52

Post by DanRaisch »

Either fix it soon or I say bye bye to Firefox, which will be a shame after these many, many years, ths is a major bug.
Please see the disclaimer in the right hand column of this page. We are not Mozilla so we can't "fix it soon."

On the other hand, it may not be necessary to fix anything --
Have you tried starting Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
If no improvement using Safe Mode, do you have the same problem if you create a new profile and test it with no extensions or non-default themes installed?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
and
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_a_ne ... on_Windows
zootopia3000

Post by zootopia3000 »

I expected a response to disable Hardware Acceleration. That's not a solution, only results in jerky video playback online. I have tried a complete uninstall and reinstall of ESR 52 as well as FF 53 (both with no addons), and same problem. FF ESR 45.9 does fine.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Hi zootopia3000 !

A stab in the dark, but is your Flash Player up to date (assuming that you use it) ?
The latest version is 25.0.0.171.
Same question about the Silverlight plugin - latest version is 5.1.50906.0.
zootopia3000

Post by zootopia3000 »

I'm gonna try later tonight to install 52ESR again, and do the following, disable animation in Bing settings (Videos and Panoramas), disable Flash hardware acceleration in Flash Player settings instead of Firefox's hardware acceleration and get rid of Silverlight (don't see a use at all for Silverlight anymore). Will probably take some time to see if that resolves the issue. If not, I'll have to check the release notes for FF versions 46 thru 52 to see what they've done and backtrack from there as far as appropriate settings are concerned in about:config. A quick look at versions 46 and 47 show some major graphics and video changes. I prefer to stay with FF with Classic Theme Restorer, I hate the modern look, especially for bookmarks. Pale Moon 32-bit (based on FF 52 ESR) would freeze on occasion on Windows 7 in regards to certain videos, but 64-bit did OK on Windows 10, but was a just a bit sluggish with videos, like on youtube, as compared to Firefox 45.9 ESR, so I dumped Pale Moon (it had other quirks as well). Overall this is frustrating. Have I mentioned I just hate Google Chrome? Not that the Australis look for Firefox is any better.
zootopia3000

Post by zootopia3000 »

So far so good with changes mention above, and also disabled Flash Protected Mode, it's really overkill IMO, and went with 32-bit FF for Windows 10 64-bit OS. Hopefully Flash will be a thing of the past by end of this year. Just won't die quickly enough.