Should we stop using old extensions that won't get a WE port

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
max2

Should we stop using old extensions that won't get a WE port

Post by max2 »

So we can prepare what is to come ?

There seems to be no point in using old extensions anymore unless it will get a Web Extension port.
malliz
Folder@Home

Re: Should we stop using old extensions that won't get a WE

Post by malliz »

Why not just use them till they die? Hardly makes sense not to
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
James

Post by James »

Why stop now instead of in November or later.
max2

Post by max2 »

malliz wrote:Why not just use them till they die? Hardly makes sense not to
James wrote:Why stop now instead of in November or later.

To get ready for the change and to get use to it!

I am not use to clicking at the top of the browser so much. I liked my addon bar.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Ghacks.net is keeping a running tally of the most popular extensions likely to make it to WE come FF57: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/14/top-f ... ns-status/

As for your opinion about stopping the use of extensions now simply because they'll cease to function come FF57 you could apply the same analogy to life. After all, we all die right? So since your life is going to come to an end eventually, why bother living it now? Might as well go jump off a tall building and get it over with.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

Reflective wrote:Ghacks.net is keeping a running tally of the most popular extensions likely to make it to WE come FF57: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/14/top-f ... ns-status/
By Martin Brinkmann on March 14, 2017 in Firefox - Last Update:March 14, 2017
I don't think you can call that a running tally.
Mo_D

Post by Mo_D »

I've quit using one because it was causing issues with e10s and didn't replace it because of the coming change. There's not much point installing something new and spending time tweaking it and getting used to it if it's going away in a few months.

But I wouldn't quit using them just because they're going away. Something may eventually replace them, or you may find another browser that has features similar.
Kevin McFarlane

Post by Kevin McFarlane »

Reflective wrote: As for your opinion about stopping the use of extensions now simply because they'll cease to function come FF57 you could apply the same analogy to life. After all, we all die right? So since your life is going to come to an end eventually, why bother living it now? Might as well go jump off a tall building and get it over with.
:lol:
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Mo_D wrote:
Reflective wrote:Ghacks.net is keeping a running tally of the most popular extensions likely to make it to WE come FF57: https://www.ghacks.net/2017/03/14/top-f ... ns-status/
I don't think you can call that a running tally.
Read the sentence underneath "Closing words".
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

max2 wrote:There seems to be no point in using old extensions anymore unless it will get a Web Extension port.
One of the big questions is whether any given extension will get a WebExtensions port.

Many add-on authors are busy modifying their extensions, and the APIs for WebExtensions are still being revised and expanded. So, at this time, one is looking at a moving target. Currently Firefox 57 (the version that will allow WebExtensions-only extensions) is scheduled to be officially released on November 14, 2017, which is six months (and a day) away as of this writing (May 13, 2017), and a lot can happen in the next 185 days.

It would be a shame to stop using a useful extension strictly because the version available on AMO isn't currently "Firefox57"-compatible, moreso if a new version of the extension does become available when Firefox 57 becomes available on the Release Channel.

Firefox 57 will be a major change in the internals of Firefox, but the changes won't end there.

After Firefox 57 ships, Mozilla will continue considering expansion of the APIs for WebExtensions, so it is quite possible that some extensions will disappear when 57 ships, but might reappear a version or two later when the needed APIs become available and some extension authors have time to modify and reintroduce their extensions.

There will also be extensions that won't make the journey, either because the authors have abandoned their extensions, or the extension would need access to parts of Firefox that put Firefox at risk or violate the basic design, or would be too big of a maintenance burden for Mozilla to maintain the APIs. For example, the author of Classic Theme Restorer is actively maintaining CTR, but has said clearly that the lack of WebExtensions APIs to support most of what CTR does means CTR will die with Firefox 57, or earlier if Mozilla breaks major functionality of CTR before then.

On the flip side, because WebExtensions was designed by Mozilla to be close to the APIs used by Chrome, it is possible that some extensions will arrive as ports from Chrome. This is how, for example, the author of AdBlock Plus plans to have a Firefox 57 compatible version of AdBlock Plus, stating that a port from his Chrome codeset will be fewer changes and less buggy than trying to rewrite the Firefox codeset to be Firefox 57 compatible.

So, my approach for right now:

If an extension isn't even e10s-compatible, search for an e10s-compatible extension, since at least the author is actively supporting the extension. If there are no e10s-compatible functional equivalents of an extension, consider whether or not multi-processing and in a month or two multiple rendering processes are worth more to one than that extension, for it just may be time to give up on that extension unless one can find a clear statement of direction. For example, "Add URL to Window Title (Advanced KeePass Usage)" is not e10s-compatible, but has stated the intent to have a Firefox57-compatible version available, and meanwhile his support site has a "Add URL to Window Title Lite" that can be downloaded that is e10s-compatible, just not as full-featured as the non-e10s-compatible version, but good enough that KeePass works with it.
share666

Post by share666 »

I'm with Max2. I would like to start to adjust my browsing habits sooner rather than later. I'm not ready to throw away my extensions but I would like to be able to start using WebExtensions. The problem for me is that I don't know how to easily find them on the Add-On page so I can start experimenting. Seems to me that is proactive rather than waiting for Nov. 17. And, no, neither Max2 or I will be jumping off any buildings. Sheesh.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

There is a current list of WebExt on AMO, but I've lost the URL
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network
smsmith

Post by smsmith »

LoveMyFoxy wrote:There is a current list of WebExt on AMO, but I've lost the URL
Try this one:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... 52C0&page=
Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

sorry, thats not correct as i tried to point out here before:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14746790 ff.

correct link:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14748833
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

share666 wrote:I'm with Max2. I would like to start to adjust my browsing habits sooner rather than later.
These are 'browsing habits', not a drink or drug addiction and the adjustment period takes about an hour.

I know this because every single extension and theme dev has to develop their stuff on a totally clean profile, with no extension or userChrome.css stuff around, so as to ensure that every result they see is coming from the program they're working on and not some lurking extension, etc.

I suppose those with 'special needs' or the mentally challenged might need a bit more than an hour to adjust their 'browsing habits, but even there, taking 5 months+ to do so does seem pretty excessive.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)