Spell check - alternate spellings

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
BillLee

Spell check - alternate spellings

Post by BillLee »

Using Firefox 53.0 and the auto spell check when entering words into a form.

How does Firefox/Linux/whatever determine the alternates available for a misspelled word?

I commonly misspell "the" as "eth" but the drop-down list for correction does not list "the" as an alternate" for "eth". Yet when I use Thunderbird to compose a message "eth" includes "the" as an alternate spelling.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Bill Lee
dfoulkes

Re: Spell check - alternate spellings

Post by dfoulkes »

Yet when I use Thunderbird to compose a message "eth" includes "the" as an alternate spelling.
I just did you eth test in here and T.B. ... in both apps. the spell checker displayed that eth had a problem 'and' in T.B. it did not display 'the' as an alternative like it does in yours.

Do/did you install some advanced spell checking extension into T.B.?
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

With some Linux versions of Firefox a couple of different English dictionaries are installed as default.
But depending on the order of the "t,h, and e" The will show up in some of the various suggestions lists.
If you removed any dictionaries while clearing out some of the add-on or extension packages this could cause the issue or if you use a different dictionary.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

ever on my wishlist that firefox can use 2 or more spell checks same time, i had to combine eng+ger here to have both. other browsers can do this meanwhile, i hope v57 can do.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@Brummelchen - it may depend on the OS and it's pipelining or connectivity with whatever browser is in use and what has been enabled ( as you note both eng + ger)
Some operating systems have 30 or more language linkages and removing unnecessary ones can cause issues with dependencies sometimes.
Before I started removing some there were a dozen or so English language versions on the system side.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
BillLee

Post by BillLee »

dfoulkes wrote:
Yet when I use Thunderbird to compose a message "eth" includes "the" as an alternate spelling.
I just did you eth test in here and T.B. ... in both apps. the spell checker displayed that eth had a problem 'and' in T.B. it did not display 'the' as an alternative like it does in yours.

Do/did you install some advanced spell checking extension into T.B.?
I have done nothing unusual, no special dictionaries, nothing. The only thing regarding dictionaries was to delete an improperly added word to persdict.dat

LIMPET235 wrote:See if the KB articles help...
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Spell_checking
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dictionaries
Did not really help. At least one of the articles appears to be badly out of date.

Grumpus wrote:With some Linux versions of Firefox a couple of different English dictionaries are installed as default.
But depending on the order of the "t,h, and e" The will show up in some of the various suggestions lists.
If you removed any dictionaries while clearing out some of the add-on or extension packages this could cause the issue or if you use a different dictionary.

As above: no, I have done nothing special or unusual. Installed both Firefox and Thunderbird via standard paths from Fedora repository.

Is there any document somewhere which describes how the list of alternate spellings is created?
BillLee

Post by BillLee »

Problem apparently solved.

When right clicking on "eth" I can get to the "Languages" selection. Firefox was set to "English (United Kingdom)". Changing that to "English (United States)" allowed "the" to show up as an alternate for "eth".

Thanks to all for the opportunity to establish my ignorance! :-)
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

@grumpus - cant speak for linux but under windows firefox only use one (1) spell dic. i merged those two into one - not elegant but usable. i have doubt firefox offer more under linux although you can install lots of them.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@BillLee - Just to show you how different things are between Linux OSs, the US dictionary correction function in Mint and Ubuntu do not see "the" as an option to eth.
@Brummelchen - It's system based more than browser where the English language variations occur.
You have the option to install or remove any one of the variations but they are default in some OSs.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Just a little update. Windows 7 here... using latest Firefox and T.B. Neither one of them has had any special spelling add-ons installed... nor changes made to the basic spelling dicts.

I just checked T.B. and this profile to see what dic. they were using... in both cases U.S. English. yet my test (above) came out two diff. ways... not sure why and I'm not worried about it.... just the way the World works? ... anyway, just adding to all the above.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

@dfoulkes - I doubt it's the dictionary but wonder if it could be relative to grammar program influences?
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Not sure... unless the 'default' installs of FX or T.B. come with any grammar stuff... I've never installed anything related.
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Grammar with Mint and Ubuntu come with Office (Writer, Database, Math, etc.) type programs which link through to both Firefox and Thunderbird for various functions.
Likewise some of the dictionaries are considered shared so maybe the grammar programs as well.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

The only 'external' app in here that would have anything like that is Open Office. Either way... it is no big deal for me... that eth vs the problem....thanks for feed backs.