Uploading files using FF is not working

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
Sonnie

Uploading files using FF is not working

Post by Sonnie »

I have FF 53.0.2 64-bit with no add-ons and no extensions.

I am trying to upload a file... a small image file 2kb... .gif, .jpg, .png ... any file... and I get an error that there is an issue uploading the file.

https://www.avnirvana.com/forums/theore ... ate-thread (you would have to create an account to attempt to post and upload a file)

This ONLY happens in Firefox.

I can upload the file in Chrome or Edge, but not Firefox.

Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing?
therube

Re: Uploading files using FF is not working

Post by therube »

If I had would guess something "odd", like cookies.

Anyhow, try Safe Mode.
If that doesn't work, then as a test, create a new clean Profile, & see if uploads work from there.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

It was Shockwave Flash set to Always Activate... changed it to never activate and the file uploads fine.

For some reason it's installed by default and has been a thorn in the side for awhile. Not sure why FF can't seem to get Flash right. No one else ever has issues with it that I can read about.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Mozilla/Firefox does not provide Flash, it comes from Adobe. There are different versions of Flash for Firefox, for IE, and for Chrome so comparing the performance of Flash in different browsers is not productive.
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

All I know is Shockwave Flash was installed with my stock install of FF... and it doesn't work right for us on the forum. We don't have any issues with Chrome or Edge. Call it whatever you want... facts are facts.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you confirmed that you have the latest version installed? 25.0.0.171
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

Yep... that's the one.

I just downloaded and installed 64-bit FF a little while ago and this was included.
James

Post by James »

Sonnie wrote:All I know is Shockwave Flash was installed with my stock install of FF...
Sonnie wrote:Yep... that's the one.
I just downloaded and installed 64-bit FF a little while ago and this was included.
No version of Firefox from mozilla.org or http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ for Windows. Mac OSX, or Linux has ever come with the Flash Player Plugin (old name Shockwave Flash) from Adobe.

Extensions and complete Themes are installed in Firefox while Plugins are installed on the system (whether on Windows, Mac OSX, or Linux) and not in Firefox. This is why Plugins only have Activate/Deactivate options and no Remove like Extensions has. To see where your npapi Flash Player Plugin that Firefox is making use of is located on your system type about:plugins in the Location (address) bar.

An about url to remember as it lists all is about:about
genestoy

Post by genestoy »

Having the same problem all of a sudden, can not upload photos to forums with FF 53.0.2 (64-bit) can upload with Chrome and IE just fine. Flash player is up to date also. Starting in safe mode made no difference.
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

If you disable Flash, you can probably upload them then, although you may be limited to only one file at a time.

XenForo released a new version of their forum software which included HTML5 Uploader, which does not require Flash for uploads. It solved my issue. Are the forums you are having issues with XenForo forums? Either way, if they are forums that use the Flash uploader, which most others do, it won't work with FF. They will have to upgrade to the HTML5 Uploader.
genestoy

Post by genestoy »

Just rolled Firefox back to 49 version and all works fine again, something has happened to all of the Mozilla products lately.
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

Yep... that is definitely one way to do it.
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

What security software do you have?

Did you make sure your security software isn't blocking the upload?
Sonnie

Post by Sonnie »

It's a recent FF build and Flash issue with the Flash uploader that most forum software use. It's a known issue within the forum software world.

It wouldn't be security related anyway if he backed up to an earlier version of FF and it now works.
lovemyfoxy

Post by lovemyfoxy »

Flash has been a thorn in our side since FF 1.0. It's time FF developed a native way of playing Flash content, the way it does PDF's, but I don't know if that's possible, not being a programmer.
2 Desktops--Win 7 Ult.SP1 x64/6GB RAM /Firefox 52.9ESR/Waterfox64 2022.11/Thunderbird 52.9ESR/BitWarden PW Manager/Verizon FIOS wired network