Unable to configure Gmail (IMAP)- invalid username/password

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
vin007

Unable to configure Gmail (IMAP)- invalid username/password

Post by vin007 »

I am trying to configure my Gmail account. (Info: Thunderbird 52.1.1, Ubuntu 16.04). The error is "Configuration could not be verified - is the username or password wrong?. Note that this error comes after a very long time (4-6 minutes) after clicking the "Done" button.

I have checked the following:
1. Username & password are correct. Triple checked. (username is of the form myname@gmail.com, NOT just myname)
2. I do NOT have 2-step verification in Gmail. Just the standard password login.
3. IMAP is set ON in Gmail cog wheel settings.
4. Less-secure apps are set to ON.
5. It's an Ubuntu system, so NO antivirus/firewall software is present.

I have tried the following:
1. Changed the authentication method from OAuth2 to Normal Password (for both incoming(IMAP) and outgoing(SMTP)). Still didn't work - re-test fails.
2. In the manual config option, all addresses/ports have been verified. (Screenshot attached in the end)
3. Tried this "trick" suggested here: forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2095583

It looks like I'm running out of options. Kindly help.

tanstaafl

Re: Unable to configure Gmail (IMAP)- invalid username/passw

Post by tanstaafl »

Check whether cookies are enabled for google.com in both your browser and TB. Its usually an issue only when the popup window is displayed for entering your credentials when using OAuth2 but perhaps the dependencies have changed.

The 4-6 minute delay is puzzling. Try running a Internet speed test such as http://beta.speedtest.net/ to verify you have a good connection.

FYI: If you can log into webmail to modify the settings you don't need to worry about a captcha.
vin007

Post by vin007 »

Thanks for the reply tanstaafl.
I can confirm that cookies are enabled both in Thunderbird and in all the web browsers installed on my system.
Speedtest shows 1.73 mbps.. It must be faster than this most of the times, since I can watch youtube full HD with no lag...

In this post https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1072182, the OP is talking about TBird taking the user to Google sign-in page. Is that how it's supposed to happen? In my case TBird just asks me the username and password within the TBird application. No browser window is opened, at any stage. Is that the problem?
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

1.7MB is faster than DSL, but makes me wonder if your ISP is causing problems with certain hosts while having problems with others.

When you use OAuth2, a Google sign-in page pops up to ask for your credentials, and save a token. I believe it uses the systems default browser to do that, but my memory could be wrong. Its not obvious when you look at it who is displaying it. If you use "normal password", Thunderbird uses the credentials you already provided in the new account wizard. If you don't tell it to remember them, it will prompt you as needed for them after it creates the account. Using "normal password" never involves a browser.
vin007

Post by vin007 »

Oh, in that case I am clearly having a problem with the browser - it's not opening up! I am using OAuth2, and there is no browser window opening up - at all. All operations are being handled within TBird window(s). Kindly let me know if you know a fix for this. Thanks.
Also, normal password doesn't work for me - re-test says that the configuration is wrong after server probe.
tanstaafl wrote:1.7MB is faster than DSL, but makes me wonder if your ISP is causing problems with certain hosts while having problems with others.

I am sure my ISP blocks torrent clients (like BitTorrent), so this is possible, although I don't see why they would block an email client.. :(
jimolson

Post by jimolson »

I'm having the same problem this morning in Indianapolis.

I'm running TBird 45.5.1 with a newer version downloading.

TBird works (and has worked) fine with an sbcglobal.net mail account. Today I tried to add my work GMail account using TBird's "Add Account" feature.

I provide the e-mail address and password for this existing GMail account. TBird reports that it has successfully found the GMail server names.

However, TBird gets lost in verifying the password associated with the new GMail account.

A browser window has been opened by TBird (or Gmail?) that asks me to sign into GMail with either a phone number or e-mail address. I press NEXT in this browser window but nothing happens, presumably because the password check is ongoing. I receive no call or text. There is no GMail sign-in messagee sent to my e-mail basket (as observed on another computer).

The amount of time it has been checking the password is > 1 hour. I have broadband service that averages 25 megabits.
jimolson

Post by jimolson »

Problem corrected. I updated TBird to version 52.1.1 See significant changes to UI in the area of creating new account.
vin007

Post by vin007 »

Sorry for the delay. I have figured out the problem - it's my ISP. I'm in a university campus and it seems they don't have "ports open" for Thunderbird etc.. I don't know what it means but it's not a TBird issue..