Multiple vulnerabilities in nVidia GPU driver

Discuss various technical topics not related to Mozilla.
Reflective

Multiple vulnerabilities in nVidia GPU driver

Post by Reflective »

Time to update your GPU drivers again if you have an nVidia graphics card installed: https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /a_id/4462

The bulletin includes a download link to the latest version which is v382.05
morat

Re: Multiple vulnerabilities in nVidia GPU driver

Post by morat »

Security is only for the rich.

I bought my graphics card in December 2012. The last version is v342.01 released in December 2016.

EOL Windows driver support for legacy products
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3473

It's now a legacy product. I guess I should build a new computer every 4 years...
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Well, not the whole computer just the graphics card in this particular case.
morat

Post by morat »

I found a new graphics card, but I'm not sure if I should upgrade yet.
Anon in AskWoody forum wrote:In security vulnerability cases like this, NVIDIA tends to release an updated driver for those legacy products as well. At least it has happened before a few times, so we can hope it will happen now too.
I'm surprised how many legacy products (i.e. graphics cards without support) are still being sold as "new" today.
Reflective

Post by Reflective »

Well at least it's not as bad as the Android mobile market. Google Pixel provides three years worth of support, but the rest get only 18 months regardless of whether it's a high end or a low end model. The idea behind that as you might have guessed is to induce users to buy a new phone.

As far as Samsung is concerned, it's up to each individual country to update the firmware and some countries are pretty lax. My own Galaxy J5 (2016) last received a firmware update in December last year and is still running Marshmallow 6.0.1 According to the latest Google security bulletin it's now accumulated 239 critical security vulnerabilites which Samsung hasn't patched yet. I've stopped using it now for all but the most trivial of tasks.