Firefox launch/web/... page

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
johnac

Firefox launch/web/... page

Post by johnac »

I have firefox 52.1.1 on my old (XP)PC and have always found its page easy to use. I now have a new PC with Windows 10 to which I downloaded the latest version of Firefox only to find that the page is quite different - in particular File.....History,Bookmarks etc are not there in the top left hand corner. I uninstalled that Firefox and managed to download 52.1.1- only to find that it did not deliver the old page that I like but the "new" one. How can one version of Firefox present different pages on two different PCs - and can I get the "old" presentation I want on my new PC?
trolly

Re: Firefox launch/web/... page

Post by trolly »

Do you mean the UI?
And did you remove your profile before installing the old version?
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
therube

Post by therube »

Right-click a blank space at the top of the browser (frame, next to the 1st tab should work), checkmark, Menu Bar.
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
johnac

Post by johnac »

Sorry what is a UI? When I launch Firefox I get a blank page this is what I am talking about. Does my profile effect this?
johnac

Post by johnac »

Thankyou therube that is great. May I ask an associated question or does that break the rules? My bookmarks on my old PC are a bunch of folders followed by all the miscellaneous bookmarks. They arrived in my new PC all mixed together - trying to gather all the folders together I accidentally achieved this then lost it and cannot repeat myself. Can you help?
trolly

Post by trolly »

UI = User Interface. That's what you see when you start an application. It contains for example the menus etc.
Think for yourself. Otherwise you have to believe what other people tell you.
A society based on individualism is an oxymoron. || Freedom is at first the freedom to starve.
Constitution says: One man, one vote. Supreme court says: One dollar, one vote.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

johnac wrote: May I ask an associated question or does that break the rules? My bookmarks on my old PC are a bunch of folders followed by all the miscellaneous bookmarks. They arrived in my new PC all mixed together - trying to gather all the folders together I accidentally achieved this then lost it and cannot repeat myself. Can you help?
I guess the question would be... how did you get your old bookmarks into your new PC-firefox profile?

All that that stuff... bookmarks and browsing history should reside in the Places.sqlite file in your old pc... and renaming that file in your new pc (just to get it out the way) ... so, if you were to copy that file from your old pc into your new pc you should have a exact picture of what you were using...

More info here....
Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!