What's With the Mail Toolbar?

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
JamesJoey

What's With the Mail Toolbar?

Post by JamesJoey »

I can't seem to keep the Mail Toolbar items to stay on the left side.
Well, most are left aligned but I can't seem to get the Them and Font Changes item to stay on the left side.
I drag it over but when I reopen Thunderbird it's back on the right side.

Any ideas?
James
DanRaisch

Re: What's With the Mail Toolbar?

Post by DanRaisch »

Does the same thing occur if you launch the application in Mozilla Safe Mode? http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
JamesJoey

Post by JamesJoey »

I had to restore a disk imager today. (not because of this issue)
But, the mail toolbar in this Thunderbird installation is fine.

If it happens again I'll start in safe mode.

Thanks,
James
genestoy

Post by genestoy »

Just got an update to Thunderbird and same thing happening to me all mail toolbar icons/buttons are now to the right of the toolbar and the search bar has now disapeared beyond the edge. Started in safe mode and all the icons were back on the left side. Went back and disabled the only two add-ons I have installed and the icons are still on the right?
Anybody know why this is happening or how to fix it?
Thanks
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

If Safe Mode restores the intended layout, see if switching off Hardware Acceleration is helpful in standard mode. That's menu path Tools->Options->Advanced->General->uncheck "Use hardware acceleration...."
genestoy

Post by genestoy »

Was already off and I enabled it and then disable it - no change
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Sorry. Didn't really expect that to work but disabling HA is one of the things done in Safe Mode so I thought it worth a shot.
genestoy

Post by genestoy »

I rolled T-Bird back to the last version and all is well, so it definitely has a bug
MSPMSP

Post by MSPMSP »

I had the same problem when I updated this morning. I tried to sort it out in customise mode by dragging the misplaced buttons back to the left, but this did not work.

In the end, still in customise mode, I did "Restore Default Set". This moved the tool bar back to the left, but removed most of the useful buttons like "Reply", "Reply All", "Delete" and "Junk" etc, and included lots of other unwanted stuff. However, after sorting all that out it is now fine.

Still seems like a bug though.

As a slightly off topic aside, but related to my experience this morning, when Thunderbird displayed its update available dialogue, I clicked on the "more information" link. The page that linked to only showed information about bug fixes, no mention of UI or functionality changes. Those were only mentioned on the page displayed after the update! As someone who avoids any updates that might contain "deal breakers", e.g. the infamous "tabs on top" mode, I think all information about UI and functionality changes should be mentioned upfront, not just bug fixes.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

JamesJoey wrote:I can't seem to keep the Mail Toolbar items to stay on the left side.
Well, most are left aligned but I can't seem to get the Them and Font Changes item to stay on the left side.
I drag it over but when I reopen Thunderbird it's back on the right side.
James
Sounds like the same issue we expect to have fixed in next beta. It should also appear in a future update, but unclear how soon that will be. To get the fix earlier you might try the beta from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/
P38Usul

Post by P38Usul »

genestoy wrote:I rolled T-Bird back to the last version and all is well, so it definitely has a bug

Is there an easy way to do this?
I am having the same icon problem

TIA

Greg
jwayne

Post by jwayne »

Same thing happened with me. Uninstalled and went back to 52.1.0 but same thing - mail toolbar is "right justified". I guess I was using an even earlier version but don't feel like spending the time testing earlier ones until things look proper again. Hope this will soon get fixed in an update.