[SOLVED] Which user installed add-on slows down Firefox?

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
ineuw

[SOLVED] Which user installed add-on slows down Firefox?

Post by ineuw »

By trial and error, I am aware that without user installed add-ons, Firefox is faster. My question: Is there a way to find out which add-on slows down Firefox? In addition, I am concerned about the OS multiprocess is disabled.

These are the specs of my desktop
Firefox 53.0.2 Windows_NT 6.1, Multiprocess Windows: 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)

Addons installed and active.

Form History Control
Google™ Keep
New Tab Override (browser.newtab.url replacement)
Scroll to Top/Bottom
WiktionaryMultiLanguageDictionary
Wired-Marker
Last edited by ineuw on May 28th, 2018, 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
mightyglydd

Re: Which user installed add-on slows down Firefox?

Post by mightyglydd »

ineuw wrote: In addition, I am concerned about the OS multiprocess is disabled.
Why!? I'll bet Mozilla never had any intention of activating the vast majorities e10's until whenever Fx 57 comes out.
(It would be interesting to see the current % activated)
That way ALL the 'offending' Extensions will no longer be a 'problem' because they won't work or exist..
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

any helpful comments on the AMO page for that extensions? Outdated, last update years ago? "signed-signed" = outdated!

otherwise disable or uninstall one by one - i can not say without any investigations, but this is what i can give you on the run to help a bit to yourself.
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

Yeah as Brummelchen said, just go one by one, until you find the problematic extension to disables e10s for you. Also did e10s ever work for you before?
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

mightyglydd, and Brumelchen thanks for the replies. All add-ons are up to date. On the about:performance page, the two add-ons which are indicated to slow down Firefox are (Google) Keep, and Wired-Marker. Google Keep also comes with its own independent browser like app. and I can activate it outside of Firefox. I will miss Wired-Marker because of its sophistication. Also, one add-on used the multiprocessor, that is why I asked.
Firefox 115.0.2 (default install) in Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64 bit, updated on 2023-07-31 00:05
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

tomatoshadow2, our posts crossed paths. Only, one add-on used the multiprocess, but I didn't note which. We'll see if I can re-discover it.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i have a question to "google keep" - do that extension need any of google services?
it is also available for opera: https://addons.opera.com/de/extensions/ ... letm-keep/

for my convenience i use "chrome clipper"
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... gpckoifnmd
which is very similar to clippings for firefox:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/clippings/

"New Tab Override" is made from Sören Hentzschel, i think its e10s and v57 ready

to investigate further you can search here if one of your extension is not e10s ready
http://arewee10syet.com/

Form History Control - unknown
Google™ Keep (Panelview for google keep) - compatible
New Tab Override (browser.newtab.url replacement)
Scroll to Top/Bottom --> Version 0.1.1.2.1-signed.1-signed Info last update: June 5, 2011 <-- thats what i meant - much outdated!
WiktionaryMultiLanguageDictionary -> same: Version 0.2.1.1-signed.1-signed Info Last Updated: June 19, 2013
Wired-Marker - unknown

HTH
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

The Google Keep add-on in Firefox needs nothing special. As an independent dedicated app in Windows or Linux, it needs Chrome or Chromium, which I also installed. Comodo Firewall notified me is that Keep, uses chrome.exe to load and operate.

I communicate occasionally with the 'Form History Control' developer, and he is active in these forums. I also communicated with the developer(s) of Wired-Marker, and assume that it was upgraded because it didn't work in the past two FF versions on account of the multiprocess issue. With the other add-ons, I take the attitude of wait and see.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

comodo products are very intrusive, i dont like it and always recommend to get this crap off
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Brummelchen, how right you are. Comodo is really insane and caused me grief to no end. Removed the firewall and without any notice they installed their Internet security package. It took several attempts to clean the computer of all their junk.
Mark12547

Post by Mark12547 »

ineuw wrote:Also, one add-on used the multiprocessor, that is why I asked.
Did you mean it disabled multi-processing?

One extension I have installed in Firefox is the Add-On Compatibility Reporter. In the Tools -> Add-Ons -> Extensions page, it flags each extension as to whether or not it is compatible with multiprocess. (I had changed a couple of extensions because they were formerly incompatible with mutli-processing.)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... r/?src=api
ineuw

Post by ineuw »

Mark12547 wrote:
ineuw wrote:Also, one add-on used the multiprocessor, that is why I asked.
Did you mean it disabled multi-processing?

Yes! When I glanced at the multiprocess service workers, it displayed 1/1, but I didn't know its meaning until I've done some research. Then, I disabled all add-ons, and enabled each one separately to discover it, but could not find which. But, now I will try again. I am always using the same set of Add-ons.