Firefox slow to open after Windows Creator's Update

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
CBHedricks

Firefox slow to open after Windows Creator's Update

Post by CBHedricks »

Firefox is very slow to open (+20 seconds or more) on my computer after Windows 10 pulled in and installed the "Creator's Update"... This seems to be linked to the update rather than the hardware, as Edge, Chrome and IE all load within 3 to 5 seconds or less. I have three computers that have the update, 2 that do not and all with the update show this issue. I have Windows Defender disabled, am using AVAST free and have checked to make sure Firefox is not being scanned by anything. Moving Firefox and its folders to the exception list has no effect, neither does disabling "shields" so I am at a loss here.

My computers are a mix of AMD and Intel cpu based machines, all with 8gb or more of memory and CPU speeds of 3.5ghz or more. My notebook running Windows 10 without the "Creator's Update" installed does not show hesitation or sluggish start up so I am thinking something in Windows 10 has changed.

CB Hedricks
JayhawksRock

Re: Firefox slow to open after Windows Creator's Update

Post by JayhawksRock »

What makes you think that MS has their newest technology ready for Primetime with any browser but Edge ? ....
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/
https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/201 ... wserstack/
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they are genuine" ...Abraham Lincoln
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@CBHendrikcks :

Must be so annoying !
Do you by any chance have 'AdwCleaner' installed ? If so : would you disable it and see if that makes a difference ?
If it turns out that AdwCleaner is the culprit : please, remove it.

The same goes for AVAST (known to cause many, many 'issues').
Grumpus

Post by Grumpus »

Culprit is a buggy Windows Creator which MS noted and broadcast for people to delay installation due to bugs.
Doesn't matter what you say, it's wrong for a toaster to walk around the house and talk to you
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

The same goes for AVAST (known to cause many, many 'issues').
Not really the basic Avast anti-virus as much as the unneeded plug-ins they'll load if you don't switch them off in settings.
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Happy112 wrote: Do you by any chance have 'AdwCleaner' installed ? If so : would you disable it and see if that makes a difference ?
How does one disable something that's not running ?
Download > Scan > Click Uninstall option.
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.
CBHedricks

Post by CBHedricks »

I do not have AdwCleaner, I tried without avast installed (removed, then rebooted) and even removed FireFox, cleaned out directory and still is more than 20 seconds to load. It seems that Windows 10 has a problem with it, I do not know why but it is the only thing that makes sense right now.

CB
CBHedricks

Post by CBHedricks »

My windows 7 notebook and my windows 10 notebook (without creators update) are working fine, firefox loads faster than Edge and bout the same as Chrome, and faster by far then IE... Just on the Desktops with the update is where it really slows down ONLY firefox....

Maybe the Windows Defender has been upgraded to use MS Endpoint Security and they are just not saying so...

CB
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not sure it's specifically Windows 10. I'm running Firefox 53.0.3 under Win 10 version 1703 (Build 15063.296) and Firefox loads in 10 seconds or less with two windows loading 10 tabs.
CBHedricks

Post by CBHedricks »

OK.... Now I have the answer. On one computer I downloaded Avast Internet Pro for $19.99 for a year (special offer) and restarted it and now FireFox on that computer loads in less than 3 seconds! On the other computer I removed AV support, enabled Windows Defender, and after rebooting I found that it had installed Windows Endppoint Security, and now FireFox won't run at all. On the third computer I have Malware Bytes Pro - free trial running w/o firewall, so Windows Firewall is in control and FireFox takes 20+ seconds to open, then another 5 seconds to connect to the FireFox start page. On a test computer that I just setup with Windows 10 without Defender, just the Firewall running by itself and FireFox is delayed just as with Malware Bytes, Avast Free or MS Endpoint security. This has eliminated AV interference and points to the new Windows Defender Security Center and the upgraded Firewall as the culprit behind the slow behavior of FireFox.

Does anyone know if the new update (Creator's Update) contains a new Firewall engine? Some of the other forums that I am treading on state that Windows Defender and the other embedded security products are powered by MS Endpoint Security engine. If this is true it explains some of the results that I am having on 3 out of 4 computers.

CB
malliz
Folder@Home

Post by malliz »

Using fast ring Win Ten builds with defender and not seeing this problem
What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.
"Terry Pratchett"
Tomatoshadow2

Post by Tomatoshadow2 »

I have Webroot installed and Nightly starts up right away for me.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Totally speaking for myself, but hoping others might benefit from it :

I had (like a good girl should) installed anti-virus software : Kaspersky, to begin with.
Encountered one problem after another, that I didn't think was related to this extension, till one day I disabled it, just to make sure.
No more problems.
Installed some other antivirus software : history repeated itself.
And then (after uttering some expletives) decided not to install another anti-virus program again. Ever.
I think that was one of the best decisions I've made lately, for, let's face it :
When you are (like I) on Windows, use Windows Defender, PLUS you use the safest browser on the planet :
It's like you're in Fort Knox !!!

I'd like you to take a look at what this (ex) Mozilla developer has to say :

http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis ... 59798.html
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

there is culprit with defender, he is not the only one , sorry, german:
https://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewt ... 1&t=120786
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Brummelchen wrote:there is culprit with defender, he is not the only one , sorry, german:
https://www.camp-firefox.de/forum/viewt ... 1&t=120786
Thank you for that link, Grumpy !
Went to find out more about this issue and found this on one of my favorite websites :
https://www.ghacks.net/2017/05/26/set-w ... indows-10/
Worth looking into some more.