Bookmarks and performance slow down

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
glfire

Bookmarks and performance slow down

Post by glfire »

Hello,

I've almost 6000 bookmark on Firefox and the file where they are stored ( places.sqlite ) in the directory profile is over ten megabyte in size.

Does a lot of bookmark slow down Firefox ? If I delete all bookmarks, can I see a performance boost ?

Thank you.
Brummelchen

Re: Bookmarks and performance slow down

Post by Brummelchen »

thats normal, i have >25.000 and 40megs. please dont touch it, dont vacuum and dont work on it with external tools if you like your bookmarks and other stuff in good condigition - firefox knows what is best to do.

my fox isnt slow because of bookmarks, its slower because of addons. firefox read places once on startup and create a temporary file which is merged on shutdown (like windows registry).

if you feel your firefox might slow:

provide some information please
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/us ... ix-firefox

test firefox in safe-mode please:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/tr ... -safe-mode
or
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
glfire

Post by glfire »

Thank you Brummelchen for your valuable suggestion. I'm not going to delete any bookmark or install third party managers.

In the last few days I've noticed that sometimes FF was slow and lagging when scrolling pages and switching tabs, so I've investigated the bookmark aspect.

I've installed Adblock Plus and FireShot extensions only.

Probably the latest version of FF or one of the plug-in above has some problems that will be fixed with a new version.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

glfire

Post by glfire »

Very interesting.

The problem is not always present, probably only in certain circumstances slowdowns occur.

If a new version of Adblock Plus that fixes the problem is not released shortly, I'm going to downgrade to version 2.8.2 as suggested.

Thank you
Last edited by glfire on June 6th, 2017, 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
dfoulkes

Post by dfoulkes »

Though some of the xtra options in ADP were nice I switched to u-Block origin some time ago... less resources are needed/used... you could set up a test profile, install the extension and test it out... if you like it... remove ABP and install the u-block...

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
And,.... DON'T TOUCH THAT "Choose Folder..." BUTTON! ... unless you fully know all about it.

uBlock Origin :: Add-ons for Firefox
As you can see she's (The CAT) always alert and on the prowl for Meoware !!
glfire

Post by glfire »

I've just removed Adblock Plus and installed u-Block: the first impression is a noticeable faster page load, but I need more time to speak about FF slow and lagging when scrolling pages and switching tabs.

Even though in the past I've read many positive reviews about u-Block Origin, I've always chosen Adblock Plus based on the plug-in installed base: 17.521.021 users vs 3.975.431.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i recommend to read the wiki for your first steps
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki
uBo offers some more options and switches for experienced users.

i stick with the "medium mode"
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/ ... edium-mode
pretty easy to allow/deny website content.

same as uMatrix (which i dont use)
https://github.com/gorhill/uMatrix/wiki ... time-users

if some understood one of them, you got both.
glfire

Post by glfire »

Brummelchen wrote:i recommend to read the wiki for your first steps...
Thank you, I'm going to read the docs to fully take advantage of u-Block functionalities.

Too bad in this forum there is no reputation/rate functionality ...
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

glfire

Post by glfire »

It seems that the overall speed of the browser is much better with u-Block Origin, also the problem of FF slow and lagging when scrolling pages and switching tabs seems gone.

Now I'm wondering if it's better to aid u-Block Origin with an host file to block ads and gain some speed ...
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

aktivate
hpHosts’ Ad and tracking servers​
MVPS HOSTS​​
glfire

Post by glfire »

I used the Mvps host file to block advertising for the first time in 2000, I do not know if it can serve in addition to u-Block Origin
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

Brummelchen wrote:aktivate
hpHosts’ Ad and tracking servers​
MVPS HOSTS​​
You should not advise new users to activate extra lists, these will increase likelihood of false positives (breaking web pages), and not provide a good first-time experience. Especially hpHosts, it has caused a lot of false positives in the past. The default settings are good (aka "Easy mode"), and a user can enable more lists according to their own tolerance to web page breakages.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

i assumed a question:
Now I'm wondering if it's better to aid u-Block Origin with an host file to block ads and gain some speed
i have it active beside my own windows hosts file which contains same content (dupes sorted out).
ATS at least is the smallest filter list i ever recommend. there are smaller differences between windows hosts and ublock hosts, but at least i dont have any issues with both. all blocked sites are blocked for reason - if i dont understand i open those in a secure environment. i can also recommend the google safe list which is ofc more intrusive than those two, but for reason i dont use it in any browser.

at least - i advised him to read the wiki to get familiar with ublock - it is up on him to decide which mode he wants to use. easy mode is not suitable here.