Changes in Firefox 57

Discussion about official Mozilla Firefox builds
marty60

Re: Old Firefox Extensions Will Stop Working in Firefox 57,

Post by marty60 »

Just my two cents but I'm guessing even if it is possible to hack post 57 releases to keep using XUL it'll still be severely reduced in its usefulness. I've already got four addons disabled in 55 and ready to be removed due to lack of developer interest in fixing them.

Toolbar Buttons for example can't be ported to WE as far as I know even if the developer wanted to, which he's made clear he doesn't. I'm only using nightlies now once in a while, it's just too much of a hassle since I've little desire to be part of any Chrome-like experience.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

marty60 wrote:Just my two cents but I'm guessing even if it is possible to hack post 57 releases to keep using XUL it'll still be severely reduced in its usefulness. I've already got four addons disabled in 55 and ready to be removed due to lack of developer interest in fixing them.

Toolbar Buttons for example can't be ported to WE as far as I know even if the developer wanted to, which he's made clear he doesn't. I'm only using nightlies now once in a while, it's just too much of a hassle since I've little desire to be part of any Chrome-like experience.
ya gonna get that when 56 is released. expect the full theme + new Preferences out then. but iv'e been looking around at different Browsers apart from Chrome, an i may stick to Firefox from 57 onwards
avada

Post by avada »

Arch5 wrote:but iv'e been looking around at different Browsers apart from Chrome, an i may stick to Firefox from 57 onwards
I've been keeping a lookout myself. As Chrome forks go Vivaldi has some promise. It has a menu bar, a fair bit more customizability. And recently both a bookmark and a history sidebar. Sadly it also regressed some features compared to chrome. I recently found that drag@drop is one of those things, very limited. (You can only drop on tab titles and the newtab button.) Also they removed the build in translator, which is about the only thing I kept Chrome around for.

Slimjet's nice too, though far less differentiated from Chrome. It has a bookmark sidebar though. A built in adblocker and other extensions.

All in all they don't have enough to switch. And FF57 removes to much to keep on updating. So I guess I'll find out how long I can stay on FF56 until it becomes unmaintainable. (because of broken websites, unsupported new formats, or who knows what...)
Arch5 wrote:ya gonna get that when 56 is released. expect the full theme + new Preferences out then.
I was under the impression that all that photons/servo stuff comes out with FF57 as well.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

what i meant to say is the New Preferences an New Theme will be in the Nightly of 56 only at some point of mthe cycle .

i just dont think Vivaldi is or hass been Designed well at all. i mean i had to ask how to import my bookmarks, pretty bad if one has to do that, with firefox or Chrome its simple. ( i'll add more later ) . i dont have that many Extensions no more so i could live without 1 or 2 of them, ( i know there are extensions but i do not like the Download Manager in the sidebar, 1 of my pet peeves among others. the settings panel IMO is a whole Mess in vivaldi.

so im gonna wait till either Mozilla has all the New Goodies in an then install it or just wait for the final release of it.

but you gotta remember, RUST is a New Language, its bound to have its " Holes " an problems. im sure Gecko was the ssame when it started
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

To all concerned...
If you want to discuss which browser you will use after v57, then please, go elsewhere.
This thread is about which extensions will be available/updated after v57 is released.
Thanks.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

https://www.ghacks.net/2017/06/09/firef ... e-unclear/
Firefox’s Search Box future unclear
doesnt surprise me if they get rid of the Search Box, i barely use it anyway
if they take trhe Search Box away, the answer is
You can add search engine keywords to the address bar...
You can edit them under options > search > one click, just add the keyword. Chrome does it, too, under the settings > search options.
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/commen ... 5/dioiegt/
The previous replies are correct. Much of the Firefox UI is written in HTML/XUL, CSS, and JS. The newer parts of Firefox tend to use HTML, the older parts tend to use XUL. There's also a lot of existing UI infrastructure that makes XUL the better or easier choice for now.

Photon has a pretty short timeline from inception to ship-date, which means that the work to do deeper XUL-to-HTML porting will have to be a separate, future project. The Photon changes don't really make significantly more or less use of XUL.
:-"
Sorry for my poor English.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Panels are a nightmare on Linux, hence no fancy effects.
some dont care about the " Fancy effects"
dolske 1 point 1 day ago

Photon itself isn't really changing anything about searching from the location bar. (Although there is a separate project to improve searching from the location bar, which has been and continues to make improvements here.) Photon is just the point we're targeting to be able to say that the need for a dedicated search box, in conjunction with the other browser UI improvements, means it's not shown by default.
https://dolske.wordpress.com/2017/06/08 ... sletter-5/
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

No search term history in the location bar.
Editing previously searched terms can not be done with the location bar.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Alice0775 wrote:No search term history in the location bar.
Editing previously searched terms can not be done with the location bar.
For some reason, Mozilla has never attached any importance to the previously searched terms side in the Searchbar.

The binding for it has been in Firefox forever, but was just not used. Around 2007 or so, it was discovered by theme writers and from then on many Complete Themes had a searchbar history dropmarker in them. Even then, it wasn't until years later the default Firefox offered this and then, I imagine, only because of the, then new, Google's search suggestion stuff used the same dropdown.

It's an odd attitude, as the previously searched terms side is very useful.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

1 Extension gone now :( that im on 54. i can live with it5 though that extension being - Download Youtube Video's as MP4
Compuitguy

Post by Compuitguy »

Arch5 wrote:1 Extension gone now :( that im on 54. i can live with it5 though that extension being - Download Youtube Video's as MP4
You can use replace a lot of extensions with Greasemonkey + userscripts.

In your case: Download YouTube Videos as MP4.
Mouse5

Post by Mouse5 »

Compuitguy wrote:
Arch5 wrote:1 Extension gone now :( that im on 54. i can live with it5 though that extension being - Download Youtube Video's as MP4
You can use replace a lot of extensions with Greasemonkey + userscripts.

In your case: Download YouTube Videos as MP4.
yeah i forgot about that but i found another Extension, which is more up to date anyway, but i dont use it often anyway

this Discussion might be of some interest to some ( GreaseMonkey 4 https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... a5kqhkgVG8
GHM113

Post by GHM113 »

About toolbar API.
Sorry for my poor English.
Alice0775

Post by Alice0775 »

https://twitter.com/FxTestPilot/status/ ... 9933250562
Sad news folks, Tab Center won’t be supported in FF 56+. Will still be available for Release and Beta through the summer.