Valueing the help we users get from you experts

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
windspeed

Valueing the help we users get from you experts

Post by windspeed »

I have had a few issues recently and a few people (the moderators mostly) have helped me enormously and saved me both hours of trial-and-error time and lots of data. While I understand you are all 'dedicated to the cause', there is still great benefit to us users and I would love there to be some means by which I could pay for the advice that I got. While I am not sure what the protocol is about rewarding those who do all the helping on help forums, I for one would be very happy with a "would you like to make a donation?" box.
The other issue I have come across recently is the enormous amount of work that goes into creating, updating and maintaining programs like TB.
I would gladly make an annual voluntary donation to Thunderbird for the great benefit it is to me. I understand there are heaps of individuals who contribute to open source and I certainly have no idea how the donations could be distributed but if we users have to someday choose between making a donation or losing TB, I know what my choice will be.
An easier issue to solve is donations to individuals who develop add ons. I have followed the posting trail about a few backup programs (Mozbackup, TEBE...) recently and I read that a few of these are no longer 'supported' or updated because the individual just doesn't have the time.
Again, I am sure that a fair percentage of us rusted-on users would gladly make a donation so these individuals, or someone else, could keep the programs going forward.
At the very least, a huge thanks to the few of you who make it so much easier for the many of us.
Chris
windspeed

Re: Valueing the help we users get from you experts

Post by windspeed »

Well, silly me eh? A friend has pointed out to me that there is a donation system that is already available for both Thunderbird and some addons. It's simple and easy to use and I guess the only reason I didn't find it was I must have, as my mum used to say 'only had a boy look'!
RosieRose

Post by RosieRose »

windspeed wrote:Well, silly me eh? A friend has pointed out to me that there is a donation system that is already available for both Thunderbird and some addons. It's simple and easy to use and I guess the only reason I didn't find it was I must have, as my mum used to say 'only had a boy look'!
That's because research has proven men don't move their heads to the left or right when looking for something, they only look straight ahead. I proved this to myself one day when my grandson had opened the refrigerator door and was asking, Gramma, where's the ketchup? I answered, Grandson, move your head to the right, now, move your head to the left.

He found it.

Ok, so where does one locate this wonderful system for donating, to Thunderbird and to those who develop add-ons, for helping us unedjumicated non-techies? Supply a link, maybe, please and thank you?... :D
HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop, 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM, Intel® Core™ i5, 1 TB SATA, Intel® HD Graphics 620, DVD Writer
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Have you tried looking at Help > About Thunderbird? There is a Make a Donation link there.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
RosieRose

Post by RosieRose »

WaltS48 wrote:Have you tried looking at Help > About Thunderbird? There is a Make a Donation link there.
Thanks, it's right where you said it would be!!
HP Pavilion 15.6" Laptop, 12 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM, Intel® Core™ i5, 1 TB SATA, Intel® HD Graphics 620, DVD Writer
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's because research has proven men don't move their heads to the left or right when looking for something, they only look straight ahead.
Be very careful of such generalities. I've had the equivalent experience with a female family member looking in the pantry for something and reporting it wasn't there because it was a shelf immediately above the one at her eye level.