How to increase history length?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
pirst

Re: How to increase history length?

Post by pirst »

manto wrote:
pirst wrote:well, there is no browser on earth that can do what you're asking.
Did you look at the link I included in the post above yours? Other people have increased the length of their history before, so it can be done. I'm just wondering why it's not working why I try to do it.

I'd also appreciate it if you didn't turn every post into a nonsensical lecture. This is not a forum for that. Thanks.
The link describes situation with history containing 100 thousands records. Thats not exactly "real world" scenario as firefox algorithm wouldn't start deleting such small history.
No it's impossible to accomplish what you're asking without installing that extension. Try looking into the code of that extension. It also designed to function as history eraser. If user is idle for 3 minutes it activates itself and starts erasing history. Of course one could modify that extension by removing dangerous algorithm, but higher versions of firefox require extensions to be signed... There is one setting called places.history.expiration.interval_seconds as mentioned here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... Expiration. So if you set it to some huge value like 100 years - theoretically the expiration should never happen, but it's not something that you can trust with firefox documentation.
manto

Re: How to increase history length?

Post by manto »

I figured out what the problem was.

When I created places.history.expiration.max_pages, I set it as a string. This is incorrect. It should be an integer.

Now it works properly!

places.history.expiration.transient_current_max_pages automatically adjusts to be the same value as places.history.expiration.max_pages, just like it's supposed to.

Problem solved, all without messing with nsPlacesExpiration.js or addons. :wink: I hope this helps someone else out there who might have the same problem. Thanks, everyone, for your help.