Thunderbird Broken After 6/14/17 Update

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Shalynne

Thunderbird Broken After 6/14/17 Update

Post by Shalynne »

Just updated TB. Tonight, I sorted my emails by Correspondent so I could delete a bunch of old stuff.

So, the sort went OK ... or so it seemed. But now I can neither select *any* emails to read, delete or do anything with them ... and I cannot re-sort them, either!

Oh ... and I cannot select another folder, and the menu won't work. Can't do *anything*.

I've tried exiting TB, and going back. I deleted the cache with CCleaner. Nope. Nada. Fuhgeddaboutit!

I'm running the latest update of Windows 7 Home. I've used Thunderbird for many years, and there's a lot of vital history in there. But this update made TB worse than useless to me. Guess I've lost many years of data, too.

Not happy. Any wisdom will be warmly received, but frankly, I suspect this is just an empty rant for which there are no possible answers.
Happy112

Re: Thunderbird Broken After 6/14/17 Update

Post by Happy112 »

Hi Shalynne !

Not sure if this will fix your problem, but : the cache in Thunderbird does the same as in Firefox - it caches web content.
It is strongly recommended not to let CCleaner mess with Thunderbird files, as it can cause major problems.
Uncheck all Thunderbird options in CCleaner.
If you want to clean the Thunderbird cache, please do that from within Thunderbird.
Shalynne

Post by Shalynne »

Thank you for your quick reply!

I actually seem to have solved it!

The only action I could get was a plugin-container freeze error when I tried to re-sort. For years, I've always chosen to stop the plugin from running. But this time, since nothing else was working, I chose to let the sluggish plugin keep running ... and ... it worked! The plugin finally finished doing its thing, and TB now works as usual.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

So glad that problem is solved !

What I don't understand though : according to your system details you are not running an ESR version of Firefox, and as of Firefox 52, plugins are no longer supported ...... (???)

See : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/wh ... -container

But - to keep you from having any other problems in the future (either Thunderbird or Firefox related) :
Please, get rid of CCleaner - it is really, really bad news !

Have a lovely weekend and safe surfing !
Shalynne

Post by Shalynne »

Problem was with Thunderbird, not Firefox. Actually, I run Waterfox rather than Firefox. In this case, CCleaner was not the problem. I'm wary of it, too. This time, however, CCleaner simply did nothing, good or bad, about the problem at hand.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

Shalynne wrote:Problem was with Thunderbird, not Firefox. Actually, I run Waterfox rather than Firefox. In this case, CCleaner was not the problem. I'm wary of it, too. This time, however, CCleaner simply did nothing, good or bad, about the problem at hand.
Thank you for clearing that up !