Strange issues with pure HTML5 videos - Confused

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
kimi85

Strange issues with pure HTML5 videos - Confused

Post by kimi85 »

Hi all,
I have 2 interesting findings and questions. Here they are:

1) Including latest FF versions, i always kept my "use hardware acceleration" option ON, and decided to switch to off today for a test. I run a MP4 (AVC) video "directly", not from Youtube website, directly with URL, ran the stream with "hardware acceleration" option is OFF, but the video is extremely choppy and slow ALTHOUGH I have plenty of free CPU time (usage was about %20) at the same time. How can that be?

My CPU is Intel Core i7 740QM - Geforce GTX 460M GPU.

2) If i run the HTML5 video directly from Firefox, the contrast is very low, when compared to other desktop media players like WMP, and it's unbearable to watch. My Nvidia Control Panel Settings are default and no custom value about brightness/contrast has been set, so it's not the issue. How does Firefox decide which contrast/brightness values to use during playback?

Any help is appreciated, thanks a lot!
RobertJ

Re: Strange issues with pure HTML5 videos - Confused

Post by RobertJ »

You are unlikely to get much help without someone here being able to look at what you are seeing.

FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
kimi85

Post by kimi85 »

RobertJ wrote:.
You are unlikely to get much help without someone here being able to look at what you are seeing.

Could you please let me understand better? Is it OK to post screenshots about the problem rather than explaining in the original post?
RobertJ

Post by RobertJ »

kimi85 wrote: Could you please let me understand better? Is it OK to post screenshots about the problem rather than explaining in the original post?
Screen shots would be OK; link to video better.

Images can be shown in your posts. You must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http:// www. imageshack .com/my-picture.gif. To display the image use the BBCode [img] tag.

Code: Select all

[img]http://www.imageshack.com/my-picture.gif[/img]
FF 92.0 - TB 78.13 - Mac OSX 10.13.6
kimi85

Post by kimi85 »

Ok, here it is. Both browsers are having "hardware acceleration" as ON. As you see, Firefox displays same video a lot of brighter due to misaligned lower contrast value, whereas Opera (and also Chrome, Chromium browser) shows it as it should be, maintaned contrasted value.

The video link is hosted on Google video and changed every hour, so it's not permanet sorry, it's just a pure MP4/AVC video with 720p resolution.

If i disable hardware acceleration in Firefox, the contrast returns back to quite normal (very close to Chromium-based opponent browser), but this time the video playback becomes VERY choppy in full screen mode, which is another problem/bug with FF.

Any comment is appreciated.

IMAGE REMOVED SINCE IT IS TOO LARGE. PLEASE POST AND DO NOT EXCEED 900 PX

And here is the direct link to the image (Thanks Robert, but i wish you kept the URL at least, uploaded again):
https://i.hizliresim.com/PrBX39.jpg
Last edited by RobertJ on June 19th, 2017, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broke the format