Missing email - 2 Local folders

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
LilBlue01

Missing email - 2 Local folders

Post by LilBlue01 »

Hi -

I'm new here. :D Have a question before I do anything.

Monday after my computer booted up on the 12th I opened up Thunderbird to find that I had to do a somewhat set up. After I did that things looked different due to an update of version 52.1.1. None of my previous emails were there. So I went into my Profiles folder then into the Mail folder to find that I have 2 local folders - Local & Local-1. All my previous emails are in the Local folder. Anything new is in the Local-1 folder.

Can I just take what's in the Local folder and copy it into the Local-1 folder to get everything back? Would that work? I know it will tell me there is an existing file and if I want to overwrite it. There are things that I need in other subfolders in my previous emails. I haven't signed in to load any new emails into Thunderbird since Tuesday the 13th so there's not much in my inbox right now. I just didn't have time until now to do this.

I do use CCleaner and have the latest version. I use Windows 10 64bit.

Thanks for your help
DanRaisch

Re: Missing email - 2 Local folders

Post by DanRaisch »

Ccleaner may be at fault here. A recent update to that program was reported to have caused problems for several users.
If you rename the files in the old "Local Folders" to, for instance, Inbox1, Sent1, Trash1, etc you can them copy them into the new "Local Folders" (Local-1) without overwriting the more recent data but should still be able to access the older data.
LilBlue01

Post by LilBlue01 »

Thanks DanRaisch! :D I'll give that a try. Do you think If I got rid of the Local-1 folder the old Local folder would drop all the emails back in? I would, of course, save a copy of of the Local-1 folder. And I've read about that last version of CCleaner messing up Thunderbird.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Do you think If I got rid of the Local-1 folder the old Local folder would drop all the emails back in?
No, it would still be looking at Local-1 as the current profile so you have to move files to make them visible to Thunderbird.
LilBlue01

Post by LilBlue01 »

Dropped everything from my Local folder into my Local-1 folder. It shows all of my old emails there. It's just a little weird now. My email address shows up at the top of the pane on the left with an inbox, drafts, sent and trash boxes. Under that in the Local Folders shows an inbox with all my old emails with all the folders and subfolders. So that seemed to work out.

All new emails showed up in the new inbox. Don't know why it's showing up that way but it must be something in the last update. The date and correspondents are switched around in the new inbox, which I really don't like. Don't know if that can be switched around.

Now if I transfer everything up to the new inbox can I just delete the inbox under Local Folders in the left pane? Or should I just transfer everything then delete all the folders that I have in that inbox then collapse it? Nothings gonna load to that old inbox anymore.

Thanks for your help!! :D
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

All new emails showed up in the new inbox.
OK, from what you are saying now, it sounds as though you had the account set up to use the Global Inbox option. That, in turn, indicates that you are working with a POP type account. Use the information in the link (last sentence) if you want to go back to using the Global Inbox format.

You can change which columns appear in the message list pane and in what order they appear. At the right end of the column header bar there is a small box which, when clicked, will display the columns available for display. Once you have all of the desired columns selected, you can then close that list and drag the name of a column in that header to the position you want to see it.