TB uses too much memory

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
plonkplonk

Re: TB uses too much memory

Post by plonkplonk »

Btw, I was away from my computer for most of yesterday and with some normal use today, TB is now up to 640MB.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

Dan? Anyone?

Summary: TB 52.1.1 and 52.1.0 have the same problem. 52.1.0 got up to 750MB when I killed it...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Under Tools->Options->Advanced->General->System Integration block->is Thunderbird set to "Allow Windows search to search messages"?
Under Tools->Options->Advanced->General->Advanced configuration0>/Is Thunderbird set to "Enable Global Search and Indexer"?
If so, I'd try disabling both of those options for a time to see if that improves things.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

Thanks, Dan.

I just disabled both. I'll report back with what happened.

Thanks again.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

plonkplonk wrote:Btw, how much is considered to be normal/typical?
Here is not one "Normal". What is normal for you depends on your configuration, for example number of accounts and sizes of those accounts, account actiivty, whether you have RSS accounts, etc
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

I did some more troubleshooting on this.

I notice that memory usage will go up when I simply switch among my various email accts.

Specifically, when I click on my email acct, usage goes up 10MB, when I then click on my hushmail acct, memory will actually decrease by 2MB or so (memory being released?) and when I click on my optonline acct, memory jumps up by 50MB. This happens consistently and is reproducible. So if I continue to switch among my accts, gmail will take another 10MB and optonline will take another 50MB again.

Here's a screenshot of my TB settings.

Last edited by plonkplonk on June 18th, 2017, 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

wsmwk wrote:
plonkplonk wrote:Btw, how much is considered to be normal/typical?
Here is not one "Normal". What is normal for you depends on your configuration, for example number of accounts and sizes of those accounts, account actiivty, whether you have RSS accounts, etc
Ah, good to know.

Thanks.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

plonkplonk wrote:Specifically, when I click on my email acct, usage goes up 10MB,
Are you clicking on the account name or on the Inbox for that account? If the latter, Thunderbird would be loading the data for the Inbox into memory. The more messages in the Inbox, the more memory required. Have you compacted the message files lately? If not, be sure to backup the profile before compacting anything to minimize risks of data loss.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

I compact every couple of days.

So it sounds like TB is designed to work this way and if I want to fix the problem, I need to move stuff out of my Inbox to some other folder then, right?
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

Compact can help, but not necessarily, and not as much as one would think. Only the index is loaded in memory, which varies between 10-20% of the folde size.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

plonkplonk wrote:I compact every couple of days.

So it sounds like TB is designed to work this way and if I want to fix the problem, I need to move stuff out of my Inbox to some other folder then, right?
It is a good idea to move stuff that you don't need out of the Inbox. Unless your workflow doesn't permit.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Storing messages in the Inbox of any POP type email account is a very bad practice. As the busiest area of the system, the Inbox is most at risk of data corruption and corresponding data loss. The more messages in the Inbox, the more messages at risk of loss. Creating an organization of folders, typically under Local Folders, and moving all but the most recent messages from the Inbox to that structure, will help to minimize risk of loss and improve performance.
plonkplonk

Post by plonkplonk »

Thanks, Dan. I have the folders set up but haven't been as diligent recently in moving things out of the Inbox. Will get back on it. Amazing how quickly things fall in a crack...

Thanks again for the reminder!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

DanRaisch wrote:Storing messages in the Inbox of any POP type email account is a very bad practice. As the busiest area of the system, the Inbox is most at risk of data corruption and corresponding data loss. The more messages in the Inbox, the more messages at risk of loss. Creating an organization of folders, typically under Local Folders, and moving all but the most recent messages from the Inbox to that structure, will help to minimize risk of loss and improve performance.
+1

I totally missed that this is a pop account.