saving restricted images from web page?

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
mms

saving restricted images from web page?

Post by mms »

Hello
I used to have an extension RightToClick" that let me save images blocked by the web page.

For example, the web page has a rotation or slideshow of images
or "view image/save image" options missing in the right click menu
or view page info option missing from right click menu

The add-ons I tried only let me save the first image in rotation, or omit restricted images from image results and page info.
Fireshot doesn't work if the webpage overlays text on the image.

Is there an add-on that works like RightToClick for Firefox53?
DanRaisch

Re: saving restricted images from web page?

Post by DanRaisch »

Moving to Firefox Support.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

current is firefox v54, please update.

try context menu > Examine to determine the source file.
or goto ctrl+i > Inspector > Network, reload the site and search the file in list.
mms

Post by mms »

If the you mean the right-click menu, that's the one I explained lacks the image files after the first image in rotation. I tried the source images link after pulling context menu on later image in rotation. Just has first image, like it did before.

Ctrl-i loads the bookmarks toolbar.

I miss RightToClick.

PS. auto-update now has F54
the-edmeister

Post by the-edmeister »

With the ongoing transition to Web Extensions many "traditional" extensions won't work any more and a Web Extension may not yet have been written to replace one that has been deprecated. In fact many may never be written as a Web Extension or converted to that format. Some things that the traditional were able to do aren't permissible with Web Extensions; Mozilla is purposely limiting their "power" within the browser environment.

Sorry, I can't offer a substitute for RightToClick as I refuse to go along with Mozilla madness during the transition to Web Extensions, I am still using a real old version of Firefox and intend to continue using it as long as too many websites don't block it. And if I am not happy with the "new Firefox" that Mozilla is slowly building step-by-step, I'll either start using a different browser or just stop using the internet altogether.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste. Mine has wandered off and I'm out looking for it.
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

@mms :

Maybe, just maybe, this add-on might do the trick (for now) :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

"righttoclick" is futile when blocking the causing script which prevents context menu. ofc uM can do this but this a job for uBlock - its much more granular than uM
Ctrl-i loads the bookmarks toolbar.
sorry, is ctrl+shift+i - or ctrl+shift+c

or click on the "i" (for information) in address-bar > arrow to the right, look down > "more information" and select second tab "Media"
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pa ... about-page

there is absolute no extension necessary to get data from any page.
mms

Post by mms »

The media link only gets me to the first image in rotation. Only advantage over the source method is seeing thumbnails.

ctrl-shift-i sort-of works, but hit-or-miss dealing with a slideshow.

I'm not sure how umatrix would work to allow select-and-save an image in a slideshow, its description read like the opposite. I can see entire slideshows. My problem is saving selected images without text overlays or getting first image instead of the selected image.

I hope that Firefox stops breaking things that used to work!
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

When version 57.0 comes out it's unlikely that any of the old extensions will work at all.
mms

Post by mms »

Then what is the advantage if Firefox will no longer have customisable functionality? That was main selling point for me to switch from IE IE did not do what "I" needed it to do.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

mms wrote:Then what is the advantage if Firefox will no longer have customisable functionality?
Many of us are pondering the same question.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
dickvl

Post by dickvl »

You can possibly use the log in the Network Monitor (or Web Console) and filter for images if you can't do this via "Tools -> Page Info -> Media".
https://developer.mozilla.org/Tools/Network_Monitor
Happy112

Post by Happy112 »

dickvl wrote:You can possibly use the log in the Network Monitor (or Web Console) and filter for images if you can't do this via "Tools -> Page Info -> Media".
https://developer.mozilla.org/Tools/Network_Monitor
Excellent idea !
But I wonder why changing the settings in 'Page Info' - under BOTH Media AND Permissions tab doesn't work, though .....