Temp Video Cache

User Help for Mozilla Firefox
JDRacerDad

Temp Video Cache

Post by JDRacerDad »

Can't find where the Video's are cached.
FF updated and streaming stock quotes in Java wouldn't works.
So I went back to FF 47.0.2 32-bit
Now they work fine but I was using VideoCacheView to watch videos after they loaded and now can't find where they are.
I've linked about every location in my profile and nothing.

Any clue on where to look or what setting I may have changed?
Brummelchen

Re: Temp Video Cache

Post by Brummelchen »

streaming videos are not cached in total only that part which is currently shown. dont try to access or save - its not possible.

firefox 47 - not seriously? get exploited and have fun :roll:
JDRacerDad

Post by JDRacerDad »

Brummelchen wrote:streaming videos are not cached in total only that part which is currently shown. dont try to access or save - its not possible.

firefox 47 - not seriously? get exploited and have fun :roll:
It's just not true. It was working two nights ago. I've been using it for years.
JDRacerDad

Post by JDRacerDad »

In answer to your second point about using FireFox 54 or a later version than 47, it stops several Real Estate and Stock Trading programs I use all day and it's more important to make a living than be able to tell my friends I have the latest FF. Gotta use something that works.
External security is what's left.

FF is the tool or platform on which other things run, not unlike other browsers. If it doesn't work ya gotta go to something else.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

FF is the tool or platform on which other things run, not unlike other browsers. If it doesn't work ya gotta go to something else.

FireFox 54 or a later version than 47, it stops several Real Estate and Stock Trading programs I use all day
OK, your requirements are somewhat unique because you have legacy programs that won't run newer versions of the browser. But other than that, folks who update to the current release version are not doing it so they can brag about using the latest and greatest. What they are doing is more equivalent to a mechanic advising a driver that the brake pads on their car are just about shot and should be replaced. They won't move on that advice so they will have something new but so they will be able to use the vehicle more safely. There's way too much malware out there to use less secure versions of a browser without a really significant reason.

Just as an alternative, have you tried any of the more recent ESR versions of Firefox to see if you can use those Real Estate and Stock Trading programs with them?
JDRacerDad

Post by JDRacerDad »

DanRaisch, I like your Brake analogy. But it's more like Jimmie Johnson and Jamie McMurray running a brake system that didn't work for their situation a week ago and caused a crash and a fire at Pocono. At least that's how I see it.

I've been running Firefox for years and many updates cause trouble I have had to back up from until the issues have been resolved. Some FF and some the programs I use. I generally find myself a couple releases behind the current one. It's just stuff. It takes a lot more time and money (down time and testing) than some realize to be sure programs you depend on work with new upgrades. I chose to try the update this past weekend and was glad I got all my primary programs back working before this work week started.

So as to the brakes just because it worked for the rest of the field doesn't mean the brakes were ready for all involved. Jimmy and Jamie wrecked hard with new brakes.

But what I'm really trying to fix is my VideoCacheView program that worked just fine before I updated to 53 or 54 this past weekend and then went back. I was thinking there was something I did in About:Config to make it work a couple years ago and maybe it was reset. Just can't remember.

Tone is not always easy to express in a written format. I didn't like the "firefox 47 - not seriously?" tone.
The business community I interact with seems to be moving away from FireFox. I've always liked it pretty much and hoped to stay with it. We'll see. Only have so much time for testing the tools that run the tools.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You can test new updates by having a copy of Firefox Portable on a flash drive and copying your profile from your regular machine to the flash drive. That way you don't effect your regular installation. If things fun fine with that portable version and your current profile, you can expect it to work fine if you update to the same Firefox version on your primary computer.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
JDRacerDad

Post by JDRacerDad »

DanRaisch wrote:You can test new updates by having a copy of Firefox Portable on a flash drive and copying your profile from your regular machine to the flash drive. That way you don't effect your regular installation. If things fun fine with that portable version and your current profile, you can expect it to work fine if you update to the same Firefox version on your primary computer.

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox_portable
Thanks, maybe I'll try that next time.
It's still time consuming and some test can only be run live.
Thanks again.
JDRacerDad

Post by JDRacerDad »

I got it fixed and yes the upgrade deleted the settings.
I uninstalled Adobe Flash and reinstalled.

And yes Brummelchen the complete streaming videos are in the cache.
There are some streaming sites this is not true for but that is the site and not FF.
Brummelchen

Post by Brummelchen »

full answer here
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3031207

i tried videocacheview from nirsoft on youtube but i only can play the first streamed part and that is about 2seconds or so. the rest is null or not valid. but at least it should work with firefox 57. flash instead loads its stream in %temp% and IMO that is only saveable with a sniffer. sorry, i could no help more due experience with videos. html5 is more easily to grab.
JDRacerDad

Post by JDRacerDad »

Brummelchen, I use 1-Click YouTube Video Downloader, a Firefox add for YouTube. Works for me.
VideoCacheView most other places. Any video that I can start and click stop and it continues to load will be a complete file when done.

On the Firefox release, I'm just not sure without being face to face how to explain the cost or loss of prophet requires things to work and if having the latest in protection means no prophet or income then its a no go.

I've worked my way back to 51.