TB Fails to fetch mail from ONE account (of three) (Mac)

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
Fat_Bastard

TB Fails to fetch mail from ONE account (of three) (Mac)

Post by Fat_Bastard »

Hi

I have lately found that TB fails to collect mail from ONE account of three. I have three accounts that get checked every minute, but the one account fails to download new messages. The other two have no problems.

When checking the status bar at the bottom, it shows that it connects to the server, but that there are "no messages to download". If however I check via the gmail website, the new messages are shown.

Thinking there might be issues with account authentication, I went into preferences -> Security -> Passwords, and deleted the account password, thinking that I will be prompted for it next time mail is checked.

Unfortunately this has not happened - It still shows that it connects, but that there are no messages to download.

1) How do I now enter the acct password, as I am not prompted for it
2) Any other suggestions on how to fix this?

Thunderbird: 52.2.0 (64-bit)

Thanks
Last edited by DanRaisch on June 19th, 2017, 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added "(Mac)" to subject line.
DanRaisch

Re: TB Fails to fetch mail from ONE account (of three)

Post by DanRaisch »

How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Try logging onto the Gmail web page for that account and deleting the oldest message not yet downloaded to Thunderbird. (Do this with TB closed.)
Fat_Bastard

Re: TB Fails to fetch mail from ONE account (of three)

Post by Fat_Bastard »

DanRaisch wrote:How is the account set up in Thunderbird, as POP or IMAP? Find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
Try logging onto the Gmail web page for that account and deleting the oldest message not yet downloaded to Thunderbird. (Do this with TB closed.)
It is a POP account.

I closed TB, then I logged into that account via the webmail interface for that account, and deleted the oldest mail not yet collected by TB. Closed the webmail interface, and opened TB again.

It immediately connects to the other two accounts, checks for mail, downloads for mail. But for this account, it indicates that it is connected and checking for mails (in the status bar at the bottom), and then says there are no new messages.

Note that I have DELETED the password for that account in the passwords screen - so it SHOULD ask for the password when connecting, but it doesn't ...

Also: When it checks the other two accounts, it briefly displays a blue status bar at the bottom of the screen. It does NOT show this bar for the problem account.

What happens if I delete the account - what happens to the mail messages, folders, rules ... ?
DanRaisch

Re: TB Fails to fetch mail from ONE account (of three) (Mac)

Post by DanRaisch »

Before deleting that POP account, copy all messages into sub-folders of Local Folders that you create for the purpose. Removing the account using the built in tools will not delete the messages but will "disconnect" them from the profile. They can be accessed if necessary but it's simpler to have them in Local Folders so you can access them immediately.

Before removing the account, try this procedure --
First, backup your Profile ( http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_backup )

Create a new sub-folder under Local Folders. Move all of the messages currently in your Inbox to that new subfolder.

Confirm that you have made the recommended backup of your Profile.

Close Thunderbird and navigate to the \Mail sub-folder of your Profile folder. Delete both the file Inbox.msf and the file Inbox with no extension.

Restart Thunderbird and you should find a new, empty Inbox folder in place. Copy any messages you MUST have in your Inbox from the sub-folder created above to the Inbox. Compact the Inbox after those messages are copied in.

The "Real Fix" entry in this article -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Compacting_folders#Real_fix also describes this process.
Fat_Bastard

Re: TB Fails to fetch mail from ONE account (of three) (Mac)

Post by Fat_Bastard »

Thanks for all the info Dan - much appreciated. I intended to do all this last night - but when I started TB, it suddenly worked correctly, prompting for the acct password. Duly entered, it collected the mail.
Will wait and see if it happens again, and if so, will apply your remedy.

Thanks again!

Willem