Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit builds

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Firefox
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

rsx11m wrote:As per current plan, we'll end up on 52 ESR either way (which is where 2.49.x will come from) to ensure a more regular release cycle and to shield from recent (and future, at least for that year) developments on trunk like disabling non-Flash plugins and EOL for WinXP/Vista.

So, the only question is if it's 2.46 > 2.48 > 2.49.1 or 2.46 > 2.49.0 > 2.49.1 for the next releases.
So where is this at?

Still on 2.46 here. What about 64 bit builds?

Thanks.
James

Post by James »

DN123ABC wrote:Still on 2.46 here. What about 64 bit builds?
I take it you mean Win64 builds and not the 64-bit for Mac OSX and the still kind of officially supporting 64-bit for Linux (only en-US) starting at 2.46.

Unlike with Mac OSX and Linux needing 64-bit builds, the 64-bit Windows builds is not as needed to run so I imagine the SeaMonkey people are more concerned with even getting new Releases out over having Win64 for Release.

Hmm you ask about Win64 SeaMonkey builds yet you are using the 32-bit Firefox 54.0 (as WOW64 shows) instead of Win64 Firefox that has existed since 42.0.
DN123ABC

Re: SM Nightly Build January 2017

Post by DN123ABC »

James wrote:
DN123ABC wrote:Still on 2.46 here. What about 64 bit builds?
I take it you mean Win64 builds and not the 64-bit for Mac OSX and the still kind of officially supporting 64-bit for Linux (only en-US) starting at 2.46.

Unlike with Mac OSX and Linux needing 64-bit builds, the 64-bit Windows builds is not as needed to run so I imagine the SeaMonkey people are more concerned with even getting new Releases out over having Win64 for Release.

Hmm you ask about Win64 SeaMonkey builds yet you are using the 32-bit Firefox 54.0 (as WOW64 shows) instead of Win64 Firefox that has existed since 42.0.
Yes, I'm still waiting for Firefox to update to 64. There's also a bug for that. If I complain, it seems people here don't want to hear it, even though they claim no relationship to Mozilla.
James

Post by James »

DN123ABC wrote:Yes, I'm still waiting for Firefox to update to 64. There's also a bug for that. If I complain, it seems people here don't want to hear it, even though they claim no relationship to Mozilla.
mozillaZine is indeed independent of Mozilla as Mozilla has their own support forum at support.mozilla.org for several years now.

As you were told before in other thread no 32-bit Firefox on Windows (and Mac OSX and Linux) will update to 64-bit neither will it go from 64-bit to 32-bit. Not a bug as this is normal.

Maybe when 32-bit Firefox is dropped on Windows and if user has 64-bit Windows then they may get a update to 64-bit if it can be done without issues due to mixing.
rsx11m

Post by rsx11m »

Yes, dropping 32-bit builds would be the only reason for force-migrating those users onto 64-bit builds.
If you (DN123ABC) know about an open bug report, feel free to provide a link to it so that we can have a look.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

James wrote:
DN123ABC wrote:Yes, I'm still waiting for Firefox to update to 64. There's also a bug for that. If I complain, it seems people here don't want to hear it, even though they claim no relationship to Mozilla.
mozillaZine is indeed independent of Mozilla as Mozilla has their own support forum at support.mozilla.org for several years now.

As you were told before in other thread no 32-bit Firefox on Windows (and Mac OSX and Linux) will update to 64-bit neither will it go from 64-bit to 32-bit. Not a bug as this is normal.

Maybe when 32-bit Firefox is dropped on Windows and if user has 64-bit Windows then they may get a update to 64-bit if it can be done without issues due to mixing.
I don't recall seeing that. I've been waiting for 64 bit Firefox builds for quite a while now...

rsx11m wrote:Yes, dropping 32-bit builds would be the only reason for force-migrating those users onto 64-bit builds.
If you (DN123ABC) know about an open bug report, feel free to provide a link to it so that we can have a look.
James

Post by James »

DN123ABC wrote:
1. This is just a tracking bug in relation to Win64 Firefox for Release. The Win64 Firefox for Release has existed since Firefox 42.0 and was then listed on http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ since Fx 43.0 Release.

2. At the moment the current stub installer on Windows since Fx 53.0 is 32-bit but will install 32-bit or if user can use it then 64-bit. https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/53.0/releasenotes/

3. A rather old bug from July 2006 about a SeaMonkey user having a crash with 32-bit SM on 64-bit Windows Server 2003. Not sure why you linked to this one.

4. For one or more it may have been a hiccup as it is not done intentionally.

5. That was just some tracking on how the http://www.mozill.org/firefox/all/ page should have in layout of the 64-bit Windows and Linux builds. I get it as In doing support some did not realize that the builds that did not have 64-bit were just 32-bit builds. The Mac OSX only has one row now as it is currently only 64-bit as 32-bit was dropped as of Firefox 53.0 and later.

6. A bug from Sept 2015 about a user trying to build (third-party) a SM 2.40a1 build on Nightly channel at time for 64-bit Linux. Up til SM 2.46 Release (only en-US) the 64-bit Linux builds of SeaMonkey Releases were either from a Contrib folder (were official but not, bit of storey) or by building 64-bit SeaMonkey Releases yourself. Not sure why you linked to this one.

7 and 4: Also the Firefox 51.0 was the first to show if you have 32-bit or 64-bit in About. Some people as a result mistakenly thought they were using Win64 Firefox and were downgraded to 32-bit Firefox when they were actually using 32-bit Firefox all along. I have asked people in threads since where they got Firefox before doing updates including to 51.0 and they said http://www.mozilla.org. At the time the stub installer (before 53.0 and later) served to Windows users on http://www.mozilla.org was 32-bit only. They just thought they had Win64 Firefox because they had 64-bit Windows 7, 8.1, or 10. Once they got Win64 Firefox from http://www.mozilla.org/firefox/all/ they were happy.

8. An old bug from Oct 2009 about somebody building the JavaScript Engine on Mac. Not sure why you linked to this one.

9. A old bug from May 2013 that is not really relevant. Not sure why you linked to this one.

10. It was explained in bug for if you use download button on http://nightly.mozilla.org/ instead of going to the All Languages and Builds (incl. Win 64) link which is https://www.mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/all/
AFAIK the stub installer itself is 32-bit but select 32/64-bit Nightly automatically during the installation... See Bug 797208.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

Well, in any event, it still does not update from 32 bit to 64 bit, and there is no clear path to do so. In other words, what do we do with plugins and addons/extensions? Do we uninstall 32 and install 64, or just install the 64 on top of 32? They have not been clear at all if there is a planned migration.

I came here looking for that kind of info, but am coming up with nothing.

Anybody?

Bueller?
isaacschemm

Post by isaacschemm »

DN123ABC wrote:Well, in any event, it still does not update from 32 bit to 64 bit, and there is no clear path to do so. In other words, what do we do with plugins and addons/extensions? Do we uninstall 32 and install 64, or just install the 64 on top of 32? They have not been clear at all if there is a planned migration.

Anybody?

Bueller?
I would uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit version. I've never tried it but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
Might as well back up your profile first.
DN123ABC

Post by DN123ABC »

isaacschemm wrote:
DN123ABC wrote:Well, in any event, it still does not update from 32 bit to 64 bit, and there is no clear path to do so. In other words, what do we do with plugins and addons/extensions? Do we uninstall 32 and install 64, or just install the 64 on top of 32? They have not been clear at all if there is a planned migration.

Anybody?

Bueller?
I would uninstall the 32-bit version and install the 64-bit version. I've never tried it but I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
Might as well back up your profile first.
Thank you. I think I've tried this in the past, but not had a lot of luck. Maybe it is better now, but I'm not sure. I thought it was either plugins or addons which had problems with 64 bit before. Do you need to get all new, 64 bit plugins and addons after updating?

This is one of the reasons I was thinking I'd just wait it out.
rsx11m

Re: Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit builds

Post by rsx11m »

Split off into a separate Firefox thread as this discussion was off-topic in the original thread.
James

Post by James »

Seriously rsx11m ... :evil:

had to waste time fixing this screwup thanks to subject edits not updating...
James

Post by James »

DN123ABC wrote:Thank you. I think I've tried this in the past, but not had a lot of luck. Maybe it is better now, but I'm not sure. I thought it was either plugins or addons which had problems with 64 bit before. Do you need to get all new, 64 bit plugins and addons after updating?

This is one of the reasons I was thinking I'd just wait it out.
Firefox since 53.0 and later whether 32-bit or 64-bit on Windows, Mac OSX or Linux only allows one Plugin to run, the Flash Player Plugin. The 64-bit Firefox does need 64-bit Flash Player however on Windows that is easy.

Extensions are not so not so OS or 32-bit or 64-bit dependent. There are however a small number of Extensions that do use something OS specific (the IE Tab extensions is an example) or those provided by antivirus clients on Window for example.

Note the word Addons is just a general term that groups together the separate Extensions, Plugins, Themes (image and complete), search engines, dictionaries and language packs.
https://addons.mozilla.org/faq/
DN123ABC

Re: NOT THE ORIGINAL OP - Migration from 32-bit to 64-bit bu

Post by DN123ABC »

Thank you.

I always just swapped "Addons" and "Extensions", because I thought at some point, this is what Mozilla/Firefox did. I never knew there to be a difference, nor a time frame involved.

I also was unaware of the 53.0 and later on Flash Player Plugin. I don't ever recall seeing this.

If it is indeed just the Flash Player, I suppose that isn't so bad, but I thought all extensions also needed to be one or the other (32/64), so I guess that isn't so bad either.

Is the above all true for "Seamonkey" as well?
therube

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey 2.49, when released, will be based on FF 52 ESR, so should not have the Plugin limitations of FF 53.
(Just what Plugins are you using?)

Anyhow (I'm mostly confused, in general & by this thread, but) if you want FF x64, download that & install it.
If you want SeaMonkey x64 (for Windows) - you'll have to get it from some place like akalla's page, download & install it.

Backup first.

It should "just work" (in most cases).

Plugins, for a 64-bit browser, would require 64-bit Plugins.
(Flash already has both, if installed on a 64-bit OS. Others, don't know?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript