New Thunderbird disappoiments - memory and recepients

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
dimiter

New Thunderbird disappoiments - memory and recepients

Post by dimiter »

Hello,
I'm becoming very disappointed with the new versions of Thunderbird. They are taking a lot of RAM even if the mailbox is new and empty - about 100MB which is ridiculous for mail client. It takes more RAM than Outlook!
Also I can't type recepients in one line separated with semicolon like before. It is not convenient to put every email in separate field if you have more than 10 or 20 emails.
Also I suspect that there is no validation of those emails on the client side. Sometimes quotes appear in emails "" and makes the server to send an error.

I think that the ONLY thing that the email client must do is to use less PC resources and work with email - the protocol and service that hasn't changed for decades.

Please take care and optimise the new versions.
LIMPET235

Re: New Thunderbird disappoiments - memory and recepients

Post by LIMPET235 »

Moving to Thunderbird Support...

&....We cannot do anything about "improving or optimizing" Thunderbird.
We are just a user-to-user help site.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Not sure why 100MB constitutes "too much memory" on any sort of current hardware but...
Also I can't type recepients in one line separated with semicolon like before. I
You never could use semi-colons in Thunderbird but try separating those recipients with commas and you'll find that it works as you want. (Semi-colons between recipients is a non-standard Microsoft "feature".)
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

From http://kb.mozillazine.org/Enter_email_addresses : "You can enter more than one email address in a header line by separating each address with a comma. Thunderbird does not support using semicolons to do that like Outlook does (section 3.4.6 in RFC822 states the semi-colon has a different function). " Its been that way for at least several major versions AFAIK.
wsmwk

Post by wsmwk »

> Not sure why 100MB constitutes "too much memory" on any sort of current hardware but...

Indeed, 100MB is near nothing. It may have been possible in the v2 era, but in the current ear I can tell you it isn't going to happen. I'd be surprised if most users are under 200MB.