Does SeaMonkey Run Slower In Windows 10?

User Help for Seamonkey and Mozilla Suite
murrysdad

Does SeaMonkey Run Slower In Windows 10?

Post by murrysdad »

I just bought my wife a Lenovo desktop. The internet runs at 118 Mbps. Her Facebook, Yahoo, et al load very slowly. Is there an issue with SeaMonkey and Windows 10? Is there any way to speed it up. My HP with Windows 7, on the same network, runs just fine.
Thanks
isaacschemm

Re: Does SeaMonkey Run Slower In Windows 10?

Post by isaacschemm »

Is Edge just as slow on the Lenovo, or is it better? What about Firefox? That might help narrow down the issue.
frg

Post by frg »

The question is: Does Windows 10 work? Its a pile of garbage making Windows 8 look good and doing many things in the backgorund no one wants or needs. It might slow down you internet connection. If its an out of the box OEM installation Lenovo might also have added a lot of crap to it. First thing is to check the virus scanner. If its running Defender also make sure that it doesn't upload probably sensitive personal data to Microsoft. Other than being sensitive this might also slow down browsing.

There are so many things wrong with it that needs fixing after setup so you should do a general search for making it not phone home and optimizing it. Also try Firefox and see if this also happens when you run it.

I am running SeaMoneky in a Windows 1511 Threshold 2 VM and it works fine there. But this is an older Windows 10 version. I deleted the Anniversary update after I was unable to fully disable forced Web Searches and Cortana. Didn't try the Creators Update yet but it seems to be even worse.
murrysdad

Post by murrysdad »

Thanks. Couldn't agree more!

I Googled "why does Windows 10 run so slow?" and got lots of good tips, mostly how to shut of the useless graphics! No sign of "Defender."

I downloaded Firefox. I was taken aback when it asked me do I want all the bookmarks, etc from Explorer but not from SeaMonkey! What's a good benchmark to know if Firefox runs faster on w10? How do I get Firefox to get all my wife's settings, bookmarks, etc from SeaMonkey?
Thanks again...
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

murrysdad wrote:How do I get Firefox to get all my wife's settings, bookmarks, etc from SeaMonkey?
Completely quit both applications, then copy the relevant files from her SeaMonkey profile to the Firefox profile -
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _-_Firefox
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... _SeaMonkey
Dritz

Post by Dritz »

Murrysdad,
With respect to your download speed...I'm certainly no expert but I just had the same problem. I bought a new laptop with Win 10 and while my internet isn't super fast to begin with, the new laptop was ridiculously slow in download speed so very slow connecting etc. My old laptop was working just fine on downloading so I figured it had to be something with the new laptop. I right clicked on the wifi icon in the bottom right corner of the screen and selected Troubleshoot. It found a problem and resolved it. Now it works great, faster than my old laptop mainly though because the new one is a faster computer and isn't weighed down will all sorts of antivirus stuff. Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it in case it might work for you too. Good luck!
murrysdad

Post by murrysdad »

Thank you to all for your suggestions, did them all. To date the best solution seems to be using Firefox as the browser. I'm still a committed SeaMonkey user and I hope the developers can optimize it for Windows 10.

Thanks to all, I've be a Mozilla fan/user since the days of Netscape...s
frg

Post by frg »

>> To date the best solution seems to be using Firefox as the browser.

They both use the same engine, e10s on or off I have yet to see a case where Firefox did run significantly faster than SeaMonkey.

You can try Adrians latest 2.49.1 community build and see if something changes:

https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... windows32/

If not the propblem is likely outside SeaMonkey. Either the virus scanner or something else.

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:>> To date the best solution seems to be using Firefox as the browser.

They both use the same engine, e10s on or off I have yet to see a case where Firefox did run significantly faster than SeaMonkey.

You can try Adrians latest 2.49.1 community build and see if something changes:

https://l10n.mozilla-community.org/~aka ... windows32/

If not the propblem is likely outside SeaMonkey. Either the virus scanner or something else.

FRG
FRG,

Adrian's build is what I use now and it runs faster than 2.46.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
murrysdad

Post by murrysdad »

I cleaned off my wife's computer of anything that might slow it down the best I could. It's a LenovoIdeacenter and it is known as being very, very slow!

A thought on why Firefox may be running faster than SeaMonkey (at least to my wife) is that I installed Adblock Plus on her SeaMonkey, no plug-ins on Firefox. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help...s
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

murrysdad wrote:I cleaned off my wife's computer of anything that might slow it down the best I could. It's a LenovoIdeacenter and it is known as being very, very slow!

A thought on why Firefox may be running faster than SeaMonkey (at least to my wife) is that I installed Adblock Plus on her SeaMonkey, no plug-ins on Firefox. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the help...s
murrysdad,

I'm using ublock instead... I think the original works out of the box with SeaMonkey, I use ublock origin, which is the newer version. I believe I had to run it through the SeaMonkey Extension Converter before being able to install it. AdBlock Plus is one I used to use and if memory serves, it was slower.
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome