[SOLVED] Backup ALL Address books

Discussion of general topics about Mozilla Thunderbird
Phylis Sophical

[SOLVED] Backup ALL Address books

Post by Phylis Sophical »

I have 10 different Address books, if that's even the proper name. Family, Business, etc.
What is the simplest way to back them ALL up at once? Or do they have to be backed up individually?

In clicking Tools > Export, it backs each one up individually as .csv file (default).

I've backed up my Tbird Profile but I assume if on a new computer, I have a more recent version of Tbird, this old profile won't work?
Last edited by Phylis Sophical on July 5th, 2017, 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, 64bit / Tbird 52.1.0
DanRaisch

Re: Backup ALL Address books

Post by DanRaisch »

I have 10 different Address books, if that's even the proper name. Family, Business, etc.
Address books are stored on the hard drive as separate files with the extension .mab. Thunderbird will only recognize the two default .mab files, abook.mab (representing Personal Address Book) and history.mab (representing Collected Addresses), if they are copied from one profile to another. Any user created address books copied between accounts would have to be imported in order for Thunderbird to recognize them. The extension MoreFunctionsforAddressBook can be used to import .mab files representing user created address books.
I've backed up my Tbird Profile but I assume if on a new computer, I have a more recent version of Tbird, this old profile won't work?
No, a profile created with a ten year old version of Thunderbird will be recognized by and used by a brand new version of Thunderbird. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Transferring_ ... hunderbird
For a concise, less detailed version of the process, see this thread --
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... 5#p7251375

For an alternative approach, see tanstaafl's posts in this thread -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14209121
Phylis Sophical

Re: Backup ALL Address books

Post by Phylis Sophical »

Perfect, Dan. That 'MoreFunctions.....' works like a charm. Just two small problems I had probably due to being BrainDead over this:
Download file is at the very bottom of that long page.
To access, RIGHT click on any of your Address books.
Thxs Again
Windows 10, 64bit / Tbird 52.1.0
DanRaisch

Re: [SOLVED] Backup ALL Address books

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
Download file is at the very bottom of that long page.
If you are referring to the page from which you downloaded the extension, that's under the control of the author of the extension and no one on these forums nor anyone at Mozilla has any control on the layout of the page.
To access, RIGHT click on any of your Address books.
If you mean "To access the functions of the extension..." that's just one way to do it. You can also access the extension using menu path Tools->MoreFunctions..." in the Address Book window.
Murtlap

Post by Murtlap »

Load disk drill app and use this guide here. There are many tips and a detailed instruction with a few simple steps. Last time with it help I restored the needed lost system file.
Last edited by Murtlap on July 17th, 2017, 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murtlap

Post by Murtlap »

sorry i didn't see that it solved, well anyway maybe my advice helps someone